Thread: Kyaks n' sounders

Andrew

Kyaks n' sounders

Is there a special fitting avaliable for the bass kyak?

What sort of sounder for using in rivers around snags ie shallow but detailed work?

thanks, Andrew.

The_Walrus

Re: Kyaks n' sounders

Hi Andrew,

Why don't you simply install the sounder bracket directly to the hull just in front of the cockpit and get a suction cap fitting for the transducer.

Make certain that the sounder does not interfere with your paddling action.

If you're only fishing shallow water, you don't need a super fancy unit. Something like a Garmin 160 will suit your needs.

Bear in mind that you also have to fit a battery for the sounder (a motor bike battery will be enough) unless you buy a portable unit with the battery built in.

The trouble with portable units is that the sounder sits on/in a box that contains the batteries. This makes it more bulky.

I've used a portable unit in my favourite river and since the transducer was mounted on a suction cap, I was able to sound the banksides.

I usually fish from a one man canadian canoe, not a kayack.

Luc

Re: Kyaks n' sounders

or if you don't want a tall skinny motor bike battery falling over on you, (where would that acid go in a kayak?? OUCH) call in at an electronics store for a small gel battery, or if weight is not a problem (has to be in a kayak?) find a battery seller who sells wheelchair and golf buggy batteries and ask for one of their better clapped out ones. Often free and will run a sounder for days.

Rick K