Thread: life jacket storage

life jacket storage

Had a brainwave last weekend on how to store life jackets in a tinny so they are out of the way but still accessible. I used to keep them tucked away under the foredeck with some netting to hold them in place. Police did a safety check on me recently and it took me 2 minutes to get them out. Been thinking about how to store them better, and finally decided to glue some velcro to the top of the jacket and under the overhang of the foredeck so I can velcro them under the overhang of the foredeck. They are out of the way, easy to access, and I now have more room for other stuff under the foredeck!

Whaddyathink?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Re: life jacket storage

Funny you should be talking about this subject, as I am trying also to sort out the same problem.
    My jackets cost around the 100 dollars each, and with 5 of them to store, the bulk alone causes problems, let alone the problem of keeping them in good condition , clean and undamaged.
    I would like to know how you end up with your project
    Good luck,
    David

I'm lucky enough to have a compartment in the boat that takes just seconds to access them. However I also keep them in bags I made from the stuff wool bails are made of, why it keeps them away from the dirt, water etc to keep them in good nick and it means you can leave the straps free or unravelled/tangled so you can put them on and do them up straight away if you need them and not have to unclip them then unwind etc. etc. them before you put them on. That time could cost someone dearly.

Cheers

Simon.

Simon, what sort of a compartment? Where abouts is it on your boat? Tell us more
    David

Bugga - velcro isn't strong enought to hold them. Back to the drawing board....

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."

Apathy is the enemy

Maybe you could use the same space & install a canvas, hammock type of shelf. No net to tangle, up out of way & jackets should be easily removed?
    just a thought

regards
    DR

Hi Jeremy

Instead of using velcro. Why don't you try some shock cord (elastic rope). String some shock cord back and forth under the foredeck. You may need some clips to hold the shock crod in place then slide the lifejackets between the shock cord and foredeck. To get the life jackets out just give them a tug.

Cheers

Fishtag

Thanks - I'll look into those suggestions. The shock cord idea sounds like it might work well.

Jeremy

Apathy is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by dnej
    Simon, what sort of a compartment? Where abouts is it on your boat? Tell us more
    David
    David,

I didn't want to go into too much to begin with as you were talking tinnies, mine is a 4m open plan glass boat so I have a little more room, the compartment is towards the back of the boat in the floor and was probably designed as a kill tank but the gumby I bought it off ran cableing etc through all the walls/pannelling etc inside so it won't hold water anymore so holding jackets is about all its good for. Just thought the bag type idea might help keep your jackets clean and the straps contained and out of the way.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Gang,
    If u go to a supercheap store , if theres one near you, they
    sell these stretchable cord carboot bags, the have hooks
    on each end, they are used for hanging in the boot of your
    car about 1m long but u can stretch them to fit any area, have
    acouple in my boat that i put charts in and other loose thing
    they look something like those bags u would see a footy
    training that they carried a few footballs in,
    regards

Jeremy,
    might be worth getting the velcro stitched onto the jacket. An upolsterer or canopy shop should be able to do it.
    regards
    dazza

adrian

hi
    I've got mine under the fore deck aswell but i pull out the number i need for the trip 2 or 3 and make room for them in the side pockets and the back of the seats with ocky straps
    anzac