Thread: Single to Dual axle trailer

Single to Dual axle trailer

Looking for some feed back, I have a single axle trailer/multi roller for my 18ft half/cab glass, now the problem is Im having trubs chewing out bearings, the trailer was specially made for the boat and has 12" rims #with holden bearing. have taken it to two marine shops and they have said the trailer is suitable for the boat weight, but it still chews bearing up, so am looking at going to dual axle to despense the weight a little more,
    1. how do i go about sorting out securing point for dual axle
    2. or do i go to bigger springs and bigger hubs 13" and stay single.
    3. and does the law only require single braking system on dual axle trailers
    any answers appreciated.
    regards

Re: Single to Dual axle trailer

HI Webby
    you know my other boat it is running on 13"in ford rims and bearings this may be the solution you are looking for
    hope this helps

Cheers
    Steve

webby
    1. you can get bolt on axles the easist way is where the axle is now should be about the half way point between the two axles than move around for the right weight
    2. I would go with changing hubs that have a higher load rating your springs may not have to be changed.
    3. yes the law only requires one set braked on your weigh

this may sound stupid but have you make sure the axle is straight and or the hubs are running true I had a car trailer that used to chew out bearings and after checking the axle was not straight not by much but after fixing it never had trouble with bearings again.

Webby,
    I think your trouble is with the Holden bearings, changing hubs or springs will not solve your problem.The Axle is what determine's what bearings you need.Ford Bearings can handle a lot more weight than Holden Bearings.You can still use your hubs, you just need to change your Axle and Bearings.
    I hope this helps a little.
    Cheers Scrags

Webby, those bearings should really take the load but certainly a dual axle trailer does sit much better then a single.

One thing often overlooked is what holden and ford type rims are actually rated out, load wise. I'd hazard a guess that if overloaded to destruction the rims would fail before the bearings, holden or ford. #

Have you checked if everything is running true and square? However single 12" rims on an 18 footer does sound a little on the light side.

Cheers, Kerry.

Webby,
    If you tell me the size (40mm round/square) axle you have I will tell you the load ratting (weight) that it can carry, Sorry Kerry BUT bearings do have a GREAT deal to do with it...I do this for a living.....Trust me there is a great difference in the weight capacity between Holden and Ford Bearings...The size of the rim has VERY little to do with this...However tyre profile does.
    Webby if you want to you can email me at craig@hornetheaven.com and I will help out as much as I can. I am only trying to help where I can...Scrags

Scrags, if you read what I said again I wasn't comparing bearings and rims in the one sentence as being a possible cause.

The comment about ford/holden rims in general (regardless of the bearings) and rim load ratings. A big majority use holden/form rims but were they really intended to be fitted with light truck tyres and run at 65 psi ???.

Ignoring the 12" rim issue if holden OR ford bearings can't carry a 18' boat then heaven help everybody on the road.

Cheers, Kerry.

Webby, I suppose the unobvious question (regardless of the length ) is what does this boat of your actually weigh ???, one of those important things not mentioned.

Where does the compliance plate fit with that, 'cause if it's a weight issue v bearing issue (hence axle size, rim size, tyre size, stud size, stud pattern etc etc) then whose ever name is on that plate needs to have some answers.

Cheers, Kerry.

Hi Fellas , thanks for all the above info.
    rite the axle at present is 50mm/round axle.
    the boat weight 610kg with full load of fuel plus the weight of a 130 yammie.
    inside hub to hub is 1.7
    6 centre roller the first two are double and 6 flexi/multi rollers on either side. 4 leaf springs.
    have just pickup a new axle with 13" alloy hubs, for 60 bucks couldnt resist.
    so where do i stand.
    regards

At a guess the tare weight of the trailer might be around 350kg?, which would give an all up axle weight of about 1140kg and probably a bit more (not including the ice etc and the 200kg odd of fish )

That new axle should have a load rating on it somewhere but sort of getting towards the upper limit as far a single axles (within practical limits) are concerned .

Always open to discussion on this one but as far as I'm aware LM series holden bearings are rated at about 1.3 tonne, which is about 150kg less than ford style bearings.

Recently saw an alloy hub shatter on a landcruiser, which was towing a 23 sharkcat at the time. Just as well it was only going around a round-a-bout and not out on the open road. That incident put a new perpective on alloy rims. That vehicle now has all steel rims. #

Cheers, Kerry.

Webby,

How does your boat weigh 610kg if mine weighs 1.2 tonne (including trailer) when yours is 2 foot longer and much wider. What's it made of tissue paper????

No wonder you could run on the small trailer. By the way I'm cutting up my old one this week in the back yard because I can't sell it. Everything's pretty rusty but there's an axle, springs (not much good) side boards, couple of rollers (rusty) and 4 weels and tyres with integral hubs

Anyone interested let me know otherwise scrap metal it is.

Bugman