Thread: Flushing Motor

Flushing Motor

Gday all. I've recently purchased a Honda 30, and rather than use ear muffs that dont exactly seal very well when flushing, bought the attachment that screws into the side of the leg which allows you to flush without having to run the motor. I am wondering wether this is as effective as ear muffs. Your thoughts appreciated. Catchya John.

aquarius

Re: Flushing Motor

Gee mate not familiar with Honda motors but i cant see how you can flush the motor without starting it.
    Im sure one of the other guys will be more informative on this topic..
    Cheers Brent
    ps i have a small 4 stroke motor with a screw into the leg attachment but i still need to start the motor to flush the system.

I use a 40 and start the motor. Definitely better to start the motor

With the attatchment that screws in the leg of the motor I can run mine for 20 min with no probs.

Well flushed then

Hi Kneedeep
    Myself I use a tank to flush out any of my motors and I also throw in some coolant this helps get rid of most of the salt in the motor but even if I was to only use the srew in type like my Father used years ago the motor would still be run for about 10 - 20 mins after each use for a 30hp motor you would only need a drum to run it in this will keep your motor run in good condition at all times and also lets you hear if there are any noise's that are not ment to be there
    Hope this helps the coolant is from Super Cheap for only $5.00 and you only use about half a cup to every 30ltr of water

Cheers
    Steve

I fish deep sea with a bloke who has a 130 Honda. He has had it for about 3 years and all he ever does is flush it without the motor running. Apparantly this is all that is required according to the dealer and the manual. Mind you though, if you feel more comfortable with the motor running I can't see any problem there either.
    Cheers, Clutter.

Thanks for the replys. I've got it all sorted out. Tape up the water inlet ports, tap on and get her running worked without any dramas. Catchya John.

Not familiar with Hondas, but I'm thinking that if they have a thermostat, then you should flush them with motor running until it opens. This will ensure the whole of the water system gets cleaned.

I would advise asking a reputable Honda mechanic or if in doubt RTFM.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

These built-in flushing attachments also can be used in the dire event of blowing an impellor.

However one must have a GOOD 12volt pump (deck wash variety), the right hose fittings and be prepared to take things fairly slow but in the real world it does work in desperate circumstances.

Cheers, Kerry.

I was thinking about trying a hose Kerry from the flush attatch to the livebait manual pickup, should be able to run as fast as normal if its the right size hose, any thoughts.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mackmauler
    I was thinking about trying a hose Kerry from the flush attatch to the livebait manual pickup, should be able to run as fast as normal if its the right size hose, any thoughts.
    ??? are you going to try it first

If I read that as simply the pickup (no pump) direct to the flushing port then I think I'd be a little cautious ???

If that principle worked then there would be no real need (sort of) for a water pump (except for idling) but a motor probably requires more water than a simple scoop can provide (my thoughts ???)

One of the guys here had to run like this last week (for reasons which are still awaiting some answers ) and even with a pump couldn't get past 5-6 knots without alarms going off. Main problem was apparently the pickup (design ??) and air problems.

Cheers, Kerry.

Know what ya mean Kerry

Can't beat a toolkit and spares.

Cheers

Flushing some motors in drums or whatever is a bit of a risk. I was on a boat a couple of years ago fitted with a brand new 115 4-stroke Yamaha and we did the impellor at around 90 hours 10 miles off Wide Bay Bar. The owner was flushing in a cut down plastic 44 gallon drum. The problem came about because the impellor in this particular motor is way up high in the leg. Even though the pickups etc were covered by water, on starup the impellor and plastic housing were running dry. This heat was enough to cause this impellor to spin itself out at the aforementioned 90 hours. This impellor was replaced and nothing was said about the flushing of the motor till about the 3rd or 4th service where damage was noticed on the plastic housing containing the impellor. This then had to be replaced as well as the second impellor. He now flushes with muffs.

I have since bought a boat with the carboretted version of this motor the 100 hp. I am just using the screw in flush port and not running the motor. Having a Tee piece to the this port as well as to muffs and running the motor would be the ultimate but I don't think it is nessessary if you're using the motor a reasonable amount. I recently read somewhere, might have been F&B magazine or somewhere, an article on outboard flushing. It is to do with salt build up in the engine galleries and it is a compounding problem over time. Missing out on flusing between trips every now and again should present no real problems.