Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMPORTANT!!! handling small boats in the rough.  

Re: IMPORTANT!!! handling small boats in the rough

Hi Aussiebasser,

I do remember that Michael said he in 16, and so probably needs a fair bit more experience in baot handling and different conditions before venturing too far, which is what I said in my posts. I think we are pretty much in agreement, just coming at it from slightly different angles.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

aquarius

Sorry Jeremy theres no way id be going out on the bay in a 13FT BATH TUB when the wind was blowing 20 knots no matter how much i love fishing....just not worth the risk mate!!
    Cheers Brent

Hey Brent,

neither would I, don't worry. There is a bit of confusion here. I am talking about a typical forecast of 10 knots in the morning increasing to 20 knots in the afternoon. I believe it would be possible to fish places like Mud, Green or Peel early in the morning and come home before the wind picks up. I would never advocate going out in the bay in 20 knots.

I thought this whole topic was about what to do if you got caught out in a small boat if the wind picked up unexpectedly.

Cheers,

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Always have some wet weather gear onboard in small boats, your endurance wil be far better when your not freezing to death in the spray.

my 2cents worth is to better er on the side of caution and to live to fish another day than to be one of those dickheads that make the daily paper threatening legal action against the coast guard and VMR.

Jeremy - I am a bit conservative with my boat and gear however I've been out in 25 knots and over in my boat which is a bit bigger and faster than the one in question and can honestly say I scared myself stupid. Like you I've found early mornings and nights to be the go during the crap weather we've been having. One thing I have found to be priceless is the weather section of browniescoastwatch.com, if you go to the coastal forecasts you can get up to the hour wind speeds for spots such as cape moreton, banana banks etc.

aquarius

Jeremy i agree with your last post....get out there early mornings when the winds are 10 knots and less and then as the wind picks up head home quick smart...I know its tempting to stay longer but theres nothing like coming home safe and dry and having that feeling of a great 4 hrs spent relaxing on the water.
    Most mornings during Summer you can get in at least 4 hours fishing before the winds freshen.
    Cheers Brent

hey there,
    I guess this is the first post for the year...yahoo. I am stoked to have this many replies on the subject and I hope that this discussion will continue through the future.
    I am always out by the crack of dawn when i'm going out boating so that I can always take advantage of the usual glass flat mornings.
    I have moved house to redland bay but I still putt around green Is, all the time. I just bought myself a new 3.7 vagabond edgetracker from holts marine and I'm picking up 9.9 Johnson on sat. this is really handy because i just stick it on these little wheels and I can pull it to the bottom of the street myself. I've been going out to pannikin Island with a neighbour catching a few flatties its great.

has anyone been in an edgetracker before and got any idea what they're like in the chop/swell. please don't think I'm just some kid who wants to tackle the big stuff but i'd like to here from you. I have to say I'm quite impressed so far with its stability. I can stand on all corners of the boat no worries but ill deck it out with a floor, bait tanks,sounder etc. so this will be a great fishing boat.

sorry to rave on, anyway thanks for your inputs on your views about boating and please keep submitting replies
    thanks fellas
    tight lines

Michael, ive seen the results of blasting across the breakers of south passage for fun in a 4m tracker, a few years ago this was a thrill for several of us silly enough and flexible enough, was a holiday pastime. The boat is still here, and very cracked up, not good for anything other than pottering around as an oysterlease dory now, if your game to put it to the test, just remember the bucks it costs to fix, the 3.7 will be lighter than the 4, 2mm sheet was on the 4,and with only 10 horses not 30 like the 4 had, you won't have the acceleration to keep out of trouble as well, the stability was noticably better than the v bottoms ive been in.

Cheers