Thread: Which motor would you buy?

Which motor would you buy?

I'll set the scene.....

Boat - Cruisecraft 600 Explorer ( Hull weight 880kg + 195kg Fuel )
    3 POB most of the time.

Fishing an area mostly 10km from shore with the odd run out further. Not
    interested in trolling, definatly anchore or drift fishing.

Not interested in 4 strokes!

Options are:

175 Yamaha ( Carby ) 2 year warranty
    175 Johnno ( Carby ) 2 year warranty
    175 Evinrude FICT 3 year warranty

Which one would you choose & why???
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Re: Which motor would you buy?

(D) none of the above

175 ??? one of those in between nothing type of HP's.

There's generally no weight advantage with these in between motors so why not a 200 or even 150 for that type of scene?

Cheers, Krry.

Big_Kev

None of the above , HDPI Yammie would be the one .
    Cheers Reel

aquarius

Heath my mate has a brand new cruisecraft 625 with a 150 hp Yamaha 2 stroke motor....super quiet and very economical on fuel.
    Heaps of power for this size boat.
    been 10 to 15 k/s offshore several time's in the last few months and she handles superb.
    Cheers #Brent

Your turn Heath, which one would you choose and why ???

Cheers
    Rob

Personal choice out of those 3 would have to be the 175 Evinrude FICT 3 year warranty option. 3 years warranty is obviously a good thing, and carbies are an outdated method of delivering fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by mackmauler
    Your turn Heath, which one would you choose and why ???

Cheers
    Rob
    Rob,

We're leaning towards the 175 Yamaha Carby.

Even though Barby technology is old, it is reliable, you can fix them yourself, Eg - 1 injector will cost around $500.00. You don't need a laptop or proprietry software to connect up to them if they start burping & farting.

If we had to travel long distances well yes, the $$$$ spent on a more fuel efficent donk would be worth spending, but with only the occassional long distance trip or the odd bit of trolling ( a couple of hours not all day ) then we can take the fuel costs on the chin.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Gday, Can i ask why a 4 stroke isn't an option. The way things seem to be heading put 4 strokes in a good light. Plus there is the matter of resale value in the future. Just curious. Catchya, John.

John, 4 strokes aren't an option because at this point in time only 1 manufacturer, Honda make a 4 stroke engine that is suitable & that being their 175. However at 10K more than a corresponding 2 stroke the cost is prohibitive.

10K is a LOT!! of fuel...

Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Yamaha Heath ??? After what happened to yours

Also surprised you like the cruiscraft, thought youd be after a centreconsole, the ones I saw at the boatshow had nice looking carpet on the deck ??? Just what every mack fisher needs

Heath,

Have you looked at the Johnson 4 strokes, Wynnum Marine are seting up 140 hp units on the 625 outsider and claiming 40 mph performance with 4 up, and I think the price is VERY competative at present. They are rebadged Suzuki's which have been getting good reports from OS.

Glen

Eat Sleep FISH!!!!!!!
    Cheers Glen,

One Life, What will you catch next!

Quote Originally Posted by mackmauler
    Yamaha Heath ??? After what happened to yours

Also surprised you like the cruiscraft, thought youd be after a centreconsole, the ones I saw at the boatshow had nice looking carpet on the deck ??? Just what every mack fisher needs

Yeah, well

We are a lot wiser this time round. For 1 if we go the carby model oil will be putin the fuel as well as the oil injection during the warranty period. I KNOW that I can get the parts for the engine

Don't worry, I already have some questions to ask the service department of the outlet that I eventually decide to buy the donk from in regards to the engines 8)
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM