Thread: Help with prop for Hornet 445

Help with prop for Hornet 445

My new Hornet 445 with a 60HP Yammie reaches a max of 5200 rpm and 32 mph (just under 28 knots) with 2 blokes on board. It has a 130amp deep cycle battery and a RT55AP trolling motor up front, but otherwise does not lug a lot of extra load.

The current aluminium prop specs are 11 1/8 X13-G (don't know the make, but its white).

I suspect I need a prop with a smaller pitch to get the correct max revs (5500-6000) and speed. Any suggestions from the experts?

Cheers

Strewth

Jack_Lives_Here

Re: Help with prop for Hornet 445

Is your motor mounted high enough?? Give old mate at Solas a ring. He will sort you out. Had the same problem with my 455 Hornet. Did a run up there and we took a few different props out with us. I now get 5800rpm WOT where before I was lucky to get 5200rpm.

Big_Kev

Sounds like I have got the same prop with the same donk only my boat is a 4.75 center console , not a Hornet .
    I will keep an eye on this post and see what develops .
    I am not that sure of the prop on this boat either but the one on the donk should be the genuine yammie that comes fitted to the 60 .
    Supprisingly the owners manual states that the standard prop is a 10 3/4 x 17 . Stark contrast to the one the motor is fitted with from the packet .
    Keep in touch and I will let you know what comes of it .
    The 60 yammie sounds like a popular donk , why did you buy that way ?
    Cheers Reel

It's not really the speed that worries me - more the fact that the motor could be overloaded cos' it has the wrong prop. The boat gets on the plane OK, and the 4S 60Hp Yammie itself is a cracker.

Thought there would be a well-known standard prop for this configuration - there must be 100's our there.

Cheers

Struth

Jack_Lives_Here

Strewth,
    I have a 50hp 4s Yammy on my Hornet. Current prop, from Solas, is alloy and reads:

3 x 11.4 x 12

Gives me the required rev range as per the manual. I wish I had the $$$ at the time to buy stainless.

Running at 4400rpm seems the most economical for my rig. Ran around 100km in a day in Sept on 20.83lt fuel. 2 people fishing gear and 80lt esky.

Hi Dave.

Out of interest, what sort of speed do you get at 4400 RPM?

Jack_Lives_Here

GPS speed shows around 38km / hour.

Thanks for that Dave.

I was interested to compare that with my 40HP 4-stroke Yammie pushing a 420 Explorer. About the same performance and I guess similar economy. I have actually measured distances but by comparison with my previous motor (2-strike Merc Lite 30HP), I have improved both performance and economy dramatically.

Hi all,

This string interests me greatly as I have a 4.25mtr hull with a 40hp 2 stroke Yammie tiller steer. The prop is the one that came with it. I find that I get some cavitation at about 75-80% of WOT. Also when there is no cavitation I find that I get very little speed benefit from about 85% WOT onwards. Not that speed with this rig is the issue (As it flies) but just wondering if I am getting the most out of the motor with this configuration , should I be changing anything or does all this sound right and normal?

Thanks in advance

Finny

Big_Kev

Finny I have just had the same fault .
    I dropped the motor one set of holes .
    Problem solvered so to speak.
    But it could be to much trim doing it as well .Wasn't a great efort for me to drop the donk a bit so it may be worth a try .
    Cheers Reel

Thanks Reel,

Will get the place I bought it from to have a look at this.

Thanks
    Finny