Thread: Trim of Nautiglass V149

Trim of Nautiglass V149

Was wondering if anyone had success with reducing the static stern trim of a Nautiglass V149 or similar. Boat has 50 hp merc. Was considering moving battery and tank out of the stern to the bow area - but difficult to get them out of leg way and the fuel tank vent fumes would need to be handled - maybe by way of a tube over the vent and then leading aft. Was considering the new Tempo 23 litre bow tank installed forward of the bow half bulkhead. Plan would be to achieve an unladen level static trim (no one on board) so that the chines were parallel with the water surface. At the moment the stern droop causes a problem at low speeds in kicking up a hell of a wash - obviously at high speeds the hull shape takes over the the trim is ok. Potential problem may be with weight distribution fwd which could cause porpoising / bad seakeeping dynamics etc. Anyone done anything like this with success? (on a low budget?). Appreciate all responses, whether theoretical or practical.

Rob W

Re: Trim of Nautiglass V149

I wouldn't want to be putting batteries, fuel right at the bow, they will travel better at the stern, cruisecraft I believe had a brain wave at one time and from that moment on a sandbag was buried up in the bow during construction, sounds like a cheap option.

Big_Kev

I have just set up a new boat and have mounted a 75ltr tank at the front and have built a casting deck over the top of it .
    The static trim as you have said is great and the boat sits level on the water and is much more stable to fish from when over the side at rear .
    only have found that at about 15-20 knts some cavition was evident when crossing swell ,but I feel I may have set the motor a little high,and I may have been somewhat overzealous with this .
    So I have since droped the motor one set of holes .
    All I would say is give it a go .
    The main cost was the fuel line which cost me over 50 bucks (ouch) .
    Cheers Reel .

Hi Rob
    Stick a couple of very thick hard foams at the back of the boat with silicon and put a Stingray at the motor. You'll be surprised.

Thanks fellas. Will consider. Cruisecraft and sandbags - sounds a tad contradictory.
    Good point regarding impact at the bow being a lot different to the stern area.
    Thick hard foams - do you mean adding extra bouyancy to the back of the transom with some polystyrene foam blocks? sounds radical. What thickness / size have you used? Stingrays - I thought these devices don't work till moderate / high speeds.

Yes - polystyrene M-grade about 200mm in diameter. Cut around to fit the live bait pump. towing hooks and berley bucket. Sand it for a nice smooth finish then stick is on with good quality silicon. I'm often trolling live baits and the Sting-ray does make a difference at low speed. With the extra bouyancy you can now afford to add on an extra fuel tank and a live bait at the stern. Happy fishing - Basil.

Hi Rob,

I have had owned a v15 nautiglass
    for 12 years with a 70 hp johno ,
    i had this same problem ,
    i rectify this problem with a stingray
    costing about $95.00 this change the boats performance & stability and ride , i think this would be a good investment .

cheers
    maverick1