Thread: Your thoughts please

Ausfish Addict

Your thoughts please

okay, have an 89 / 70 hp johnson vro, the oil has been disconnected and am running 50:1 no probs at idle or 3/4 throttle. Just after some opinions as to whether i should hook the oil up again, mainly i am sick of working out how much oil to whatever litres i have purchased when going on a trip, i like the idea of just filling up with unleaded and just checking the bottle to make sure it has enough oil. But then i have heard stories, that by the time the alarm has gone off because of low oil its too late for the motor ?? all thoughts appreciated.
    cheers
    joe.

Re: Your thoughts please

stay with premix. that way & ONLY that way you know your motor is getting the oil it needs.

with our new boat, which has a yamaha 175, after the initial run in period which uses the oil injection & 50/1 premix in the tank, we will be running the boat on 100/1 in the tank for the duration of the warranty period. Once out of warranty we will revert back to 50/1 premix with the oil injection removed.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

hey joe this the formula i was given for quickly working out the amount of oil u need to put in .
    just double the amount of fuel and ad a 0

i.e 40lts of fuel = 800mls of oil
    40 times two & ad zero
    cheers
    gary

Jaybee, I suppose the obvious question is WHY was the VRO disconnected in the first place ???, because there was a problem or simply because of "talk" ??? or stories. My feeling is if it's not broke then don't fix it >

I realize all injection systems are a quite different and there's been different issues with different systems at different times, some warranted some not.

Heath, if that's the opinion then why bother with an oil injected motor in the first place ???, maybe you should have bought something that was pure premix to start with.

Simply don't see the rational in that what so ever (at all) regardless of past experiences.

Cheers, Kerry.

Big_Kev

I had a 2 stroke on the back of my last boat.Iwouldhave it serviced by the dealer once a year , where they would always put a new kit in the fuel pump . I presume that this had something to do with making sure the oil injection was working well .
    And as a matter of habit I would always top up the oil after every trip as I flushed the motor,and always kept the oil bottle on the boat .
    I read in the Merc manual that the alarm would go off before the bottle was empty (but never got near this).
    When I hear the horror stories about faulty oil injection systems I often wonder if it wasn't a case of hit the key and go , and only service when there is a problem. So my advice Joe is to get it checked and serviced and hook it up .
    Regards Kev

Hi joe i had a 115 oil inj yamaha 84 modal, used it three times coming home on the last trip the motor started to die could only get about 3500rpm.straight away i thought it was a blocked jet so i took it in and got it checked out they said it had water in the carby.the next time i went out the same thing happened as well as it started blowing so much smoke it looked like my boat was on fire and finaly the motor stalled.
    luckery i had some tools,i disconnected the oil injection there was that much oil in the motor it took about 10minutes to fire up and another 10minutes before the thing would get full throttal.The outboard mechanic said that it is hard to tell if the injection is working at idle, when the motor is not at full revs .anyway i have twin vro 50"s on my cat and i disconected the injection as soon as i bougtht it, once bitten twice shy i guess.
    cheers dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry
    Jaybee, I suppose the obvious question is WHY was the VRO disconnected in the first place #???, because there was a problem or simply because of "talk" #??? or stories. My feeling is if it's not broke then don't fix it #>

I realize all injection systems are a quite different and there's been different issues with different systems at different times, some warranted some not.

Heath, if that's the opinion then why bother with an oil injected motor in the first place #???, maybe you should have bought something that was pure premix to start with.

Simply don't see the rational in that what so ever (at all) regardless of past experiences.

Cheers, Kerry.
    Kerry,

Show me a 175 hp engine that is premix # or maybe I should strap 7 x 25hp to the transom.

The rational is quite simply, VRO or oil injection can not be trusted, simple.
    Have already had to rebuild the engine because of it not providing enough lubrication, so we will ensure that any new engine we buy will have enough lubrication no matter what the oil injection does.

At idle there little if any oil mixed with the fuel, then you give it a gob full to get over a bar or pull skiers out of the water how long before the oil injection kicks in, seconds, milli seconds ??? How long before damage is done?

Sorry, but I agree with Dave, once bitten, twice shy.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Hi all,
    Im not going to get into any technical arguments, but i have a 2000 130 yammie oil injected, and i chalk up a few hours on her each year, todate except for a bit of excessive smoke after a long run, on restart ive had no probs with the oil injection systems, i sit next to my batteries and i check it regularly, the only problem i 've had with this motor is the heat sensor alarms on the heads, and they were covered under warrenty.
    The excesses smoke i believe is caused after long runs and you shut the motor down without letting it idle for awhile, which i believe cause a excessive built up when u restart.
    If anyone can give me 100% proff that these systems are unreliable. I might think twice, but untill unless its broke whey play around with it.
    The motor is serviced regularly, and in two years has not let me down,
    does the oil alarm do the same as the heat sensors and shut your motor down to 2000 rpm
    regards

Ausfish Addict

Interesting replies thanks guys, the last onwner says he took it off on the advice of a marine mechanic, maybe they werent as efficient back then ?? however i find it irritating early morning or in a rush trying to work out the formula, thanks cavemen where were you 20 yrs ago and why hasnt someone told me earlier then this, DUH!thing is my bro has a bigfoot it runs okay and he has had a few different mechanics say to disconnect as well, maybe they give some mechanics headaches eh?? well i guess with cavemens formula the money i save on a new unit can go towards a service. thanks again,this has helped me make my mind up. i will stick with premix
    cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Kerry,

Show me a 175 hp engine that is premix # or maybe I should strap 7 x 25hp to the transom.

The rational is quite simply, VRO or oil injection can not be trusted, simple.
    Have already had to rebuild the engine because of it not providing enough lubrication, so we will ensure that any new engine we buy will have enough lubrication no matter what the oil injection does.

At idle there little if any oil mixed with the fuel, then you give it a gob full to get over a bar or pull skiers out of the water how long before the oil injection kicks in, seconds, milli seconds ??? How long before damage is done?

Sorry, but I agree with Dave, once bitten, twice shy.
    I suppose you've got a point in that there's not much HP past 115's (yamaha anyway) that's not produced as pre-mix but that simply leaves the question, WHY Not. Pre-mix might provide a cheaper motor but certainly not a better engine.

If oil injection was the monster some make it out to be then obviously some outboard manufacturers would be doing things a little different #, but they're not #

NO, as far as oil injection goes (these days) I believe you are over reacting but then that's your choice and your decision.

Cheers, Kerry.

iRe: Your thoughts please

jusr remember there are mechanics and then there are blokes who have a piece of paper on the wall.
    I have had an oil injected suzuki for 5 years and does about 50 hours a year and have never had a problem.
    as said before it does smoke on restart after a long run and shut down too quick but who cares.
    i have a gauge on the dash for oil level

[quote ]

I suppose you've got a point in that there's not much HP past 115's (yamaha anyway) that's not produced as pre-mix but that simply leaves the question, WHY Not. Pre-mix might provide a cheaper motor but certainly not a better engine.

If oil injection was the monster some make it out to be then obviously some outboard manufacturers would be doing things a little different #, but they're not #

NO, as far as oil injection goes (these days) I believe you are over reacting but then that's your choice and your decision.

Cheers, Kerry.

[/quote]

Oil injection on our yamaha performed faultlessy for 7 years, then one day it stopped.

Your right, I am overreacting, spending $1300 on a rebuild is on everyones agenda. Got me once, but not again.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Ausfish Addict

For those that are interested i contacted Wynnum Marine and here is their reply
    Dear Joseph

More than likely if its been disconnected, it is because the VRO oil pump has failed. #A new VRO pump is $548. #A new oil tank kit is $279. #Parts available ex Sydney and a deposit will be required to order.

Spoke to them on the phone later and was told if its working okay without it then leave it. Don't ya love it when an organisation tries to save you money. I will be back.
    cheers
    Joe.