Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40hp outboars

afro

40hp outboars

Just wondering if any members have had any experience with the 2-cyclinder mercury 2 strokes, or for that matter the yammy(or other brands considering tohatsu 3cyc). I am looking to purchcase one shortly and was after some reports on there performance/ reliability/starting.
    Cheers.

Re: 40hp outboars

are you getting a new one or second hand one (newer or older)

I have a Yammy 4 stroke and a mate has a Yammy 2 stroke Hi tech (3cyl). Both boats perform well but you do have to play with different prop sizes to find what best suits your boat and needs. You may end up with the prop that comes out of the box but it pays to have a play. If buying a new motor, the dealer should let you change them at no charge until you are happy. Most motors are manafactured with a couple of different props and it depends on what comes out of the box as to what you get to start with.

As for the Mercurys, I have been told to stay away from the "Lite" series, a piece of junk I'm told.

Cheers, Clutter

i have a 40 suzuki on my brooker thats about 5 years old , i change the plugs every service and do about 50 to 100 hours every year.
    i have no problems with it and if the battery goes flat i can pull start it without pulling the cover off.
    dont know if you can do that with others as i havnt taken notice.

Big_Kev

I had a Yammie 2 cyl 2 stroke CV with ptt/electrics .
    It also had the pull starter out of the cowl .
    I bought it new and worked it hard for three years .It was fitted to a 4.2 runabout and got it up and running with mostly 2 up not a problem and with a full load was still up to the task .
    Never gave me any greif at all . And still was going strong when I sold the boat . Just used the prop out of the packet it came with . No gauges but and I would recomend tacho and hour meter if fitting to fwd control.
    Only fault is that it was not a great motor for trolling being only 2 cyl was a little bit rough when idling along .
    But I considered it very good value for money when I bought it and would give it my recomendation if it is still available . The full option with elect and ptt would be the go even if tiller steer and buying the tiller arm to fit to it and selling the fwd contol stuff .
    Hope this helps Reel .

The three cyc mercs are alot better motor, smooter and have more grunt. The 2 cyc ones are a tohatsu motor in disguise.

Get a 4 stroke. Apart from the fact they are cleaner (some places will only allow a 4 and not 2 on the impoundments) The other main reason is that they will stop importing 2's shortly and that might be parts as well.

Cheers

Rob.

Just a note about your 40 hp question, I too have a 40 suzuki on a brooker centre console, The motor is a 98 and is a gem. I do and average of about 60 to 100 hours a year and the thing goes great I can plane at exactly 56 klms a hour on the gps and there has never been any probs from the day I bought it.

I had a 40hp 2cylinder tohatsu on a 435 hornet and found it to be a great motor that was about 18mths ago and it cost $3300 so it was great value as well I went for the 2 cylinder over the 3 for 2 reasons price and weight and was very happy with it

Hi,

I have a 40 hp 3 cyl 2 stroke Yammie on a 4.25 Ally Craft Shadow Mirage. Is just 12 months old and have had no trouble with it. Idles well down low but like all 2 strokes if a little smokey. The unit is tiller steer, hydro lift and the pull start. All is fine but do sort of wished I had goune the electric start and tilt. I won't be physically young forever!!!!

I do get some cavitation at about 75-80 of WOT. I didn't know about the different props "out of the box". Will have to chase that up and get the others to see if I can rectify the problem as I find it a little annoying.

Regards

Finny

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_RX
    The 2 cyc ones are a tohatsu motor in disguise.
    Yeah my motor is whats classified as a merc 30 lite.

It is infact is a tohatsu 25

Rosso.

afro

Thanks for your replies, it gives me more to go on now in making my decision. Im still unsure on which one ill go for, i guess it will ultimately come down to the best deal i can get.
    Thanks.

I've got a 3 cyl 2- stroke yammie and have no trouble at all. Its on a 4.3 hornet and goes well. When trolling all day the 4 stroke flashes through my mind but for the cost I'm happy with what I got. Its got hydra tilt (tiller steer) which I thought would just be a gimmick but defintly an option I'm happy I got with this model.

Goodluck

Big_Kev

Guru , don't overlook the four stroke and be sure to check the price .
    I have just bought a new 60 and the four st was only 500 bucks more which was less than 10% the total price so thats the way I went .
    The cheapest price was from westside boating at goodna but I didn't want to travel across town to get service , so I payed more got it local and got a discount card with it so I will save the extra in the long run . be sure to let us know what you get in the end .
    Cheers Reel

I have a 40hp 3cyl on my 4.2 savage for the past 2yrs.
    Tiller steer with gas assist lift.
    75km/hr on enclosed waters
    great motor have not had any problems to date . fitted a ali hydrafoil to eleminate cavatation and will now turn very sharply.
    some dealers will sell the same motor with the Mariner name on it at a cheaper price.
    the tohatsu is a light duty motor but if you are just cruising around will do the job nicely.

good luck