Thread: Unleaded or LRP (super)l

Unleaded or LRP (super)l

Hi,
    I use my '96 evinrude 25hp o/b 3 or 4 times a week behind my tinny for fishing on the mid-north coast. Recently LRP (super) wasn't available so against my practice of the last 25 years I used unleaded fuel and did not notice any difference. Can anybody tell me if I will damage the motor if i continue using unleaded fuel.
    Thanks, Brad

NQCairns

Re: Unleaded or LRP (super)l

Hi Brad, for the last 3-5 years or so there has been no super fuel sold in oz. The LRP that is sold at all pumps is actually a premium unleaded (higher octane) with a very small amount of lubricant added to combat upper cylinder wear in 4 strokes. I always buy Premium for the boat because I believe that there will be less substitution going on in that fuel, that may be wishfull thinking all considered but it,s the best I can do as a consumer in this country to protect my self. Cheers NQcairns.

Re: Unleaded or LRP (super)l

Brad, As far as i know you cant damage the motor using unleaded. The oil is the lubricant in 2 strokes where as in 4 strokes you could damage the pistons, rings etc as the oil is in the sump but on a 2 stroke it is pre mixed with the fuel for lubrication.

Cheers, Lachie