Thread: ???Re: tips on how to drive boat on trailer

BS

???Re: tips on how to drive boat on trailer

Patto,
    practice, practice, practice - in an out of the way spot where you're not holding anyone else up and out of the wind and current if possible.

Don't sink the trailer too deep. Keep a least the mudguards out of the water. 2 reasons. They can be used as a reference point and the hull shouldn't hit them if you drift sideways.

If there's a lot of current and wind you may need a couple of runs at the trailer to help work out the drift. Once you have it sorted out a bit of speed helps to keep everything square - dead slow idle won't get it on the trailer in current and wind, 4 knots should keep you pretty straight, then keep the same throttle on to hold it their while it's being hitched - don't kill the engine when it's on - it'll roll off! try it all in slow motion first though or it could get expensive!

again......practice in an out of the way spot so you're not rushed.

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: tips on how to drive boat on trailer

bit hard to do this one at a busy ramp but angle your trailer down wind/current. The tail of your boat is going to swing that way anyway. Then you are not so much broadside you are more in control.

chris

Yep Practise practise and more practise I do it by going out directly behind the trailer and inching towards it and when u get close enough u start using reverse a bit so as not to smash the front of the boat on the trailer. When u get it on and lined up just throttle and raise the motor and back off the throttle when u need to. Just practise it and u'll get the hang of it. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Cheers, Lachie

After watching countless mishaps(and untold damage) watching people drive boats up on trailers, I continue to wind my boat up(Cruise Craft 533). When I am too old(or lazy) to wind my boat up, I'll give up the game.

thanks guys all look like good tips, with one common thread PRACTICE....

Fisho - thats my concern untold damage, a lot of hard earned pennies went into buying my little baby. can't afford to bend it being smart or fancy..

any way thanks again for the tips and safe boating and good fishing to all

Best to find a beach which is protected from the wind and
    place a marker pole just above the waterlineabout a meter back and another pole about 3 meters further up.
    These poles can be used to practice holding straight
    approach .begin going in about 4 knots from a fair way out and see if you can keep the poles in line with the center of the boat and slip into reverse when getting too close to the sand.when you can do this easily keep trying at slower and slower speeds this will enable you to learn what angles you should approach the trailer at when winds and currents are up without crunching up the boat or trailer.Personally I only drive on when there is no sand around the ramp concequently if I go out alone I only put in where the ramp is rock free.(if you dont have an area which is free of rocks better not try the above )

Patto

I am with Fisho on this one. When you tie up at the ramp you already have the bow rope attached. I find it easier just to winch it on. The only time I attempt drive on is when you have to get back in your boat to go around those boaties that insist on launching on the retrive side of the ramp. Fortunately our local ramp in in a creek which is very protected. Have a look at my posting "Drive on / Slide off" a few back. May be some useful do's and do not's for you.

FLATHEAD1