Thread: corrosion problem

corrosion problem

I have a problem with corrosion on some electrical connections in my 10 mth old Hornet.

The main prob was at the connections on a switch board below where I sit (they are totally protected from weather but may get a bit of spray when I hose out the bilge area)- the bottom part of the two lower toggle switches were full of coppery stuff and broke off so I've replaced them.

I'm looking for some type of spray on stuff that you can buy (hopefully) to prevent this problem to spray directly on the wiring connection.

Someone mentioned some dry spray on stuff from tandy??

Any ideas??

Re: corrosion problem

Lanotec GP-21,I've been spraying this stuff on everything for the last couple of months and found it good.It is non conductive up to 70kv so it shouldn't short anything out.I've done all my electronics plugs,wires and switches and my PTT still has water beading on it after the first dose.Check it out www.lanotec.com.au

Hi, Saw a product in the December 2002 copy of 'Modern Boating" (free with one of the fishing mags in the last couple of months) called "Plasti-Dip" (Liquid Electrical Tape) paint it on & sets as a flexible, waterproof cover. Made by Performix. The number given was 07/55977768. Hope it helps Bill

lanolin grease is great. i use it on all my electrical connections even the battery terminals

Evening 4X,
    I agree with the use of a Lanoline based product.However the liquid tape will act as an insulator & may prevent a good electrical contact. Suggest you upgrade your switch panel to a BEP waterproof or similar. Cost will be well under $100 & peace of mind will be priceless.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter