Thread: Evinrude Oil Injection

Evinrude Oil Injection

I own a early 90 model Evinrude 40 motor and was wondering if there was any way to test that oil injection was working properlly ? Any help would be appreciated!

Ta
    [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Re: Evinrude Oil Injection

Vertigo,

it is a detailed proceedure to check the oil system on your engine, thie biggest problem is that you will likely break the nipple off the oil pump in trying to perform the proceedure. this will then require replacement of the oil/fuel pump.

My suggestion is to disconnect the oil from the engine and run pre-mix (50:1). disconnect the oil alarm wiring comming off the back of the oil pump (put vaso or grease in the connectors to keep them from shorting out) remove the oil tank and hoses and wiring from the boat.

Thats it, you are now on premix. It is advisable to put oil in the fuel and run the engine for a trip before you disconnect the oil injection. cheers

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Testing is one thing, removing it is another and if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Apart from measuring things by the manual, then obviously if it's using oil then it's doing something. The thing is to keep a record of oil used v fuel used, which should give some indication of use/ratio and be vigilant with sparkplugs etc as these can tell a whole lot about a motor especially (for multi cyl) if the plugs start to look different.

Cheers, Kerry.

adrian

mark the oil level on the container and take the boat on a run the level of oil should drop after the run i also have the same motor and never had a problem

anzac

NQCairns

To test your OMS pump (VRO). Run a 50:1 mix thru the motor, letting it idle or fast idle only. Disconnect the oil line to pump, When the "No Oil" lite comes on (it takes a while due to oil in the pump) and the horn sounds, hook up the oil line, but do no squeeze the bulb. Keep running the motor until the lite goes out. That way you test the alarm system, and make sure the pump will prime itself and deliver oil. Then mark the oil tank to check consumption over time ie Litres of fuel used vs oil used after a few or more hours runtime. I think most or all of the OMS systems are 50:1 not variable that was the early models system we all just commonly call the Jonrudes systems VRO but may have more to do with model/hp than year - not sure anyway this is a simple no harm test if you take notice of what you are doing, and have the skills to attempt it. nq