Thread: need feed back on cyclone boats

need feed back on cyclone boats

hi guys l went to the sanctuary cove boat show and was really impressed with the cyclone boats . they use to make excellent ski boats but have now started to make open fishing boats . l am paricuarly interested in the 540 side cosole . it has just about everything lan looking for in a boat .
    lm hoping somone on aus fish can offer some feed back on their on water performance . the boats are made up near cairns so maybe some of our northern aus fish members know of these boats

cheers spike

Re: need feed back on cyclone boats

G'day Spike,

I just read an article (Fishing World, Boat Fishing June 2002) on a Tiller steer version of the 540 Cyclone with a 60hp Merc 4 Stroke.
    Top speed was 27 knots, which is a tick under 50 km/per hr. Max H/P for this boat is a 75.

Send me your Address or Fax No. and I'll send you a full copy of the article.

The boat looks very nice

Cheers
    Craig.

hi craig thanks for the reply my fax is 0755621349
    the boat looks great , l just dont know if it is over kill , as l do mainly estuary fishing although it would be great to pop out side occassionaly . so difficult to pick a boat
    l agree it looks great and the centre console lm looking at takes a 90 horse power top speed 44 knots , definately not a slow boat

cheers spike

NQCairns

Hi guys, not trying to be a wet blanket but the main reason it is fast (apart from being light) is because it is not a real offshore sportfisher, I have looked at a few of the cyclones and would rather be in a metre shorter basic more offshore designed hull than those trying to get home from a few km out in a blow, but for screaming around a lake, estuary or bay in 1 foot chop it would be a gas. They do look good. Just my opinion. Nq

Hi all
    I think for a serios outside/offshore boat you need a screen upfront, not center console, centre cab etc, the reason if ya get caught for some reason in water ya shouldnt be in, its nice to have some protection, only been caught once 4.5 hours to go ten k, weather changed in about 5 minutes, and we took enough water over the nose that a bilge pump would never have kept up, it was a 17 foot halfcab
    my thoughts
    blaze

Have just been out to Coorparoo Marine and had a quick look at a 'tricked-up' version of the 540 side console. Raised front casting platform, fully carpeted, miles of storage below deck and heaps of free area above deck. And to top it off the thing looks and goes like a rocket ship. Max HP is 115, but will do 70km/per hr with a 90 !!! The word is it just loves the water being a bit choppy

Spike, I now know why you like it so much, I'm in love too. It's the sleekest looking, mid size, Spotfishing Fibreglass boat I've seen.

I only have one question about it, can a Bow Mount Electric Motor be successfully fitted ???

Craig.

lets be honest if it is really an offshore boat 25ft is the min I would like a 34ft but as 5mtr -5.4mtr boats go they really are a good boat. and I have seen a 34ft blackwatch I would think that would be ok for offshore work

I was reading in the Sunday mail on the weekend that Cyclone are selling all of their standard Moulds (i.e. business for sale) to begin construction of big high performance Glass boats for the US market. They won a big contract and don't have enough room in the factory to do both types of boat. (doing that from memory, so facts may be slightly distorted )

Cheers
    Steve.

G'day, I have had a cyclone 540 side console teamed up with a 115hp merc now for about a year. I go to the reef in it and around cape cleveland. It handles the chop like nothing else I have been in the same size. Very dry boat, comfortable and a good fuel range.

The under floor esky and kill tank are just perfect for stowing away those Spaniards.

Could do a lot worse.

Cheers

l have bought one of these boats so l will soon be able to give an absolute opinion on how they perform . l would not class the boat as an off shore boat , l have bought it as an all rounder , so naturally there is a degree of compromise . the majority of my time on the water is spent in broadwater an rivers .this boat will eat any conditions there . l beleive it will also handle the bay and limited off shore work like palmbeach reef ect .
    if l stay close to shore the 115 hp merc with an anticipated top speed of 80 km should get me home quick enough . the boat is rated to survey category 2 , it has sealed floor built in bouancy and the maker ross wilson is known for building racing boats that handle a pounding ,the boat is built from glass and gel coat over a klegcell material ( no timber ) so for its size it is lite and strong . by far the most important factor and one that clinched the deal the wife loves the look of the boat
    pics to come and water test results

cheers one happy spike