Thread: changing water pump on 25hp merc

changing water pump on 25hp merc

Hey there people...after consuming a 6 pak of the amber fluid, I still cant work out how to disconnect the gear shift linkage on my 25XD merc outboard(older model with the brown bands) so I can change the water pump impeller!!! ???
    On my old evinrude previosly u just slipped in a socket and undid the joiner on the actuator rod once u had separated the gearcase from the rest of the leg...too easy!
    I thought that this may have been the case with this motor, but once I unbolted the gearbox and separated as much it would allow ....it was like...hmmmm...what next??. At the top of the rod just next to the carby there is a small plastic linkage attatched and there is a screw that looks like it would separate the plastic bit from the motor, though it is a bit hard to see if this would also free the rod .
    Surely someone has attemted this b4 and hopefully would be able to give me some guidance....please!

Re: changing water pump on 25hp merc

a manual might be the go.
    this is the closest i can find
    http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...DRIVE+SHAFT%29

Re: changing water pump on 25hp merc

Thanks aiodo, I had already found a solution prior to recieving your post, though thankyou for the effort anyway .
    I can thoroghly recommend that anyone looking for info on their outboards visit www.iboats.com and check out the forums that relate specifically to their brand of outboard, you will be amazed at the amount of onfo there on queries that people have already made.
    WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!! going fishing now!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks again!