Thread: Compasses - do you use them and what type is best

Compasses - do you use them and what type is best

I am thinking about getting a compass and was wondering, in these days of GPS's & stuff, how many people still rely on the compass and what type/brand or size is best.

At the moment I don't have a GPS, and I thought a compass in the meantime would be a good idea.

What do others think? [smiley=stunned.gif]

Re: Compasses - do you use them and what type is b

hey drevil
    mate wouldnt say i rely on my compass but definatley wouldnt go out without it.appart from the legal requirement side of things they are very handy even with a gps on board.
    ILL often punch a mark into the gps then drive there using the compass cause its easier to look at than those little digital numbers bouncing all around.
    A gps is a plastic box full of 10 cent parts and as they allways say is not to be relied on as your sole means of navigation.imagine being out in the pi$$ing down rain with a broken gps.if youve got a chart or some idea where you are and a compass you can at least idle in the right direction,better than heading for new zealand
    As forwhich one to buy , you get what you pay for.A larger unit is easier to read and a light is allways a good thing.
    hope that helps ya
    cheers nofrills

Thanks nofrills...by the way, what is the legal requirement to carry a compass? Is the the same as an epirb, i.e. if you go oustide you need a navigation device?

Cheers...drevil

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Not compulsory but highly recommended. Have a look at ...
    http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/m...afetyequipment

Drevil,
    Mate if your G.P.S goes down and you don't have a compass you are looking at big problems.
    If you can't visually find your way (night time)or rain/fog
    you could end up anywhere .Even with a radio you will be hard pressed to tell anybody what direction you are travelling in.May I suggest you get a compass and charts
    then learn how to use them both,you will be surprised how good you can getwith some of the simple aids that were used before G.P.S came in.
    Remember the U.S.A.controll the g.p.s. systems and can turn them off at will or change the accuracy at will .
    In the end it is your skill that will prove
    the most valuable in the end. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Hi Doc,
    You have been quiet of late. ??? ???
    A good compass is still a must for safe navigation. If your GPS goes down for any number of reasons you can still head in the right direction.
    I have a colour GPS/Chart Plotter but still use my compass to steer by as the GPS has a delay factor on presenting your course steered due to the need to constantly update the fix.
    Your compass reacts instantly when your course starts to wander & you can correct your helm as soon as you see this happening.
    As for brands, price is a guide. I have a Suunto, no problems, 100mm card for ease of reading,well damped (doesn't swing wildly), internal light. You won't get much quality for under $100 . Stay away from crap made in China. They may have invented the compass but that is where it ended. Be warned-some BIG brands are actually made in PRC. Check the place of manufacture carefully.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

drevil,

agree with all the other guys. Couple of points, I'm on my third one. First one came with the boat, but didn't have light in it eventually wanted to do some night work, so got one that had a light. Recommended by the selling shop, beautifully large figures with lots of room between the numbers, which makes steering accurately a lot easier.
    However when I got it home I found there wasn't anywhere I could mount on the dash in front of me where I could see the dial. It had to be mounted in-dash at eye level to be useful. I only had space on top of the dash. I was able to return it. I got one out of the Whitworths catalogue, gimbal type that mounts on top, can see card from a range of angles.
    Rabbitting on about this to make the point that you want to mount the compass pretty close to directly in front of you, so work out where it has to go, how much height, width, length you have to play with,then see what types will go into the possible locations.

As per usual, all good stuff. I don't even have a GPS and have been either staying in close or relying on markers & the Beacon to Beacon to get around. Not real flash...

I think a compass & a couple of charts would make a wise investment.I was looking at a Ritchie brand for about $100.

Peterbo3, I have been busy doing everything else except going out in the boat or joining in chat, but I'm getting a bit twitchy and hope to hit the water soon.

Thanks guys and talk to you later.

I bought a Ritche compass for my new boat and quickly changed it because it had a very poor back light. My father had a similar experience with a different model Ritche. A back light shouldn't be too strong but these were hopeless. For a good versitile one try a combo handheld/fixed type like a Suunto Commanda or a Plastimo one.

With the way acts and regulations are worded these days one should probably be a little cautious and study exactly what is meant by the words.

That word "should" shouldn't be taken literally as what one "should" have is generally taken to be in hindsight, as opposed to the use of "must".

It is generally the skippers responsible to know what one "should" have had.

The act says something like "A recreational ship operating beyond smooth waters should be equipped
    with a liquid damped compass and a navigation chart appropriate to the area of operation."

It becomes rather critical if something goes wrong and one "should" have had a particular peice of equipment as outlined in the act and didn't.

Similar with the old descriptive regulations regarding that one was to carry (must) 1 litre of water per person per day etc wher as now it's "sufficient for everyone on board for the duration of the trip" and that's where it totally falls back on the skipper's responsibility to ensure that's the case, otherwise a judge will generally have a field day.

So basically for anything other than "smooth waters" a compass (or chart) is really probably not optional. However one could debate that but having to debate that (or the chance to debate that) with a judge is probably not the best thing to do (in hindsight).

A compass is a little different to a GPS as a compass does show which way one is heading where as a GPS basically only shows the direction (in the past) from which one has come.

Really I don't see a compass and chart as optional or "should" be carried but a must as straight GPS is not approved as a primary means of navigation.

Cheers, Kerry.

Big_Kev

Kerry has nailed it.
    And to get a compass and a chart at $100 is cheaper than hiring a lawyer to argue your case.
    Happy fishing Doc Kev
    PS hows the new boat going, you haven't filled us in.

Mate, do a nav course and find out how to compensate for wind and ocean currents.Over longer distances it might amaze you how far out you may be because of them.

Hi Kev - I haven't had it out much in the past few weeks...a combination of trying to finish renno's on the house and crappy weather whenever I plan to go out.

Been to Moreton a couple of times and down around Maclay a few times and it went really well. The Mustang hull seems to handle all conditions without drama. The only slight downside is that I think I could do with more horsepower (has a 100 merc) - it cruises at about 18-19 knots, while in itself is fine for most of the time, but on glassed-out days I wouldn't mind having an extra 6 or 7 knots to play with.

But that's the only complaint with it...everything else is great, it's in really good nick and it does everything I want, which is the main thing.

You know, talking about this compass thing, the guy I bought it from used to take this rig outside regularly and it has no compass and it had only 1 battery (now has 2), no bilge pump (now has a 2,000 ltr/hr pump) and an expired EPIRB (now renewed). Kinda makes you wonder.

Thanks for the feedback guys and hopefully see you on the water soon.