Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outboard comparison

Outboard comparison

HI, Is there anyway of getting a comparison of different makes of outboards, (4 stroke v 2 stroke, fuel consumption, weight, gear ratio, etc) in one easy to read layout. I am about to spend a bit (hell of a lot) of money on an outboard to power a 6.1 Hydrofield Jag and all i can go on is the sales pitch of a dealer. I would appreciate any personal experiences in buying/using 130 - 150HP motors. Cheers Budgie

Re: Dare i ask!!!

Budgie
    The Jan/Feb edition of Australian Propellar had a straight up comparison 11 115hp engines (4's & 2's)(on exactly the same boats) it is a bit smaller than you are looking for but might give you a good insight

Cheers
    Mark

NQCairns

Re: Outboard comparison

Popular mechanics had an interesting shootout, here:
    http://popularmechanics.com/outdoors...tboard_Motors/

nq

Budgie,
    Had a similar problem when repowering my Hydrofield 5.6m Jaguar. Here is what won the argument for me.
    All the four strokes are great engines, as are most of the other efi's in this size range.
    The fourstroke will definately save you $$$$ when it comes to fuelling up, but it will cost you big $$$$ initially, so outweighs the advantage.
    The Efis are great engines, but again are quite expensive, and are no more reliable than an engine from 15 years ago.
    What about twins? You can pick up twin Tohatsu 70's for around the same money as a single 130 Honda. Food for thought. They are good, simple engines that dont cost the earth.
    After all these arguments I finally chose a Mercury 140hp V6 Carburetted engine for my boat. The price was just far too good to say no to, and still had the same warranty as all the other engines. Picked it up for around $12,000 twelve months ago, so could get one for a bit more than that today. The engine never missed a beat, ran at about 20l/h at 4000 revs, and was still pleasant to use.
    I would not have recouped my initial costs with a four stroke. Depends on hours you plan on doing.
    Speak to the Guys at Nitro Marine Southport, and see what they can do for you.
    Regards
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by NQCairns
    Popular mechanics had an interesting shootout, here:
    http://popularmechanics.com/outdoors...tboard_Motors/

nq

Wow the suzuki 2 stroke wasn't looking too bad until the fuel economy tests, where using upto 50% more fuel than the rest.

NQCairns

yeah Lordie and the 2s Evinrude uses a fair bit less than even the 4s at cruise . nq

go and buy a great book called Andrew Norton's Marine and motor guide.

i bought it a kmart for $11.95 and i reckon it is a must read for anyone about to buy a motor.

it lists every motor available in australia and groups them into power ranges. it then gives an individual write up about each. an appraisal of what it was like on the back of certain boats and then gives a comparison chart

below are two examples with most of the figures missing so that i don't get into trouble.

Performance comparison
    Two stroke fishing fiiteens

WOT # # # # # # # # #
    Motor # # # #Mar/merc 15 # # # #Yamaha 15 # #Johnson 15
    Km/h kn # # # # # # # # # # # # # # 46.2/24.9 # # #
    Revs # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # 6060 # # #
    Lph # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # 7.2 # # #
    Km/l # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #6.4 # # #
    DST # # # # # # # # #
    Km/h kn # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #3.7/2.0 # # #
    Revs # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # 750 # # #
    Lph # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # 0.9 # # #
    Km/l # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #4.1 # # #
    Loop of 10%WOT and cruising # # # # # # # # #
    Lph # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # 2.7 # # #
    Km/l # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #5.6 # # #
    Hours per tank # # # # # # # # # #8.8 # # #

And heres the sort of info it has on three cylinder 85-90 Hp two strokes with no figures supplied.

Engine type # # # mar/merc 90 #tohatsu 90 # yam cv85 # yam 90
    Prop hp/rpm
    WOT rev range
    Piston disp.
    Bore and stroke
    Ignition system
    Charging unit
    Fuel mix
    Break in mix
    Time
    Fuel type
    Capacity
    Oil type
    Capacity
    Gear ratio
    Transom height
    Weight-longshaft
    - # # #extra long

these also have fuel economies but are listed in the write up for each motor. i guess this is because economy will change depending on what boat it is pushing.

in the 130-140 Hp range the book lists the following motors and their details.

Carbi 130-140HP 2 stroke

mariner/merc 140
    tohatsu M140A2
    Yamaha 130B

direct injection 130-140HP 2 stroke

mariner/merc optimax 135
    Evinrude Ficht 135

And in the four strokes

Honda BF130

ATTENTION BUDGIE, I HAVE A HYDROFIELD JAGUAR 18 WITH AN EVINRUDE 110 HP ON IT. HOPING TO REPLACE IT WITH AN OPTIMAX 150 HP OR MAYBE A SUZUKI 140 HP 4 STROKE . SOME OWNERS THAT I HAVE SPOKEN TO HAVE HAD GOOD RESULTS WITH THE 150 HP OPTIMAX BUT NO RESULTS SO FAR ON THE SUZUKI 140 HP.I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THE HYDROFIELD 18 , HAVE HAD IT ABOUT 11 YEARS. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME DETAILS ON YOUR THOUGHTS.

REGARDS LARK

OK Budgie. I have a 6.2 Sportfish ( plate ) SuperVee.

We went for the Honda BF130 at the time as we couldn't find a 150 4 banger on the market.

Having said that, the 130 is proving to be on the money. #returns 16ltrs/hr overall. #4 Blade Solas prop makes her jump out of the water. #The Honda has 3 fuel type filter systems on the motor and we have a CAV as well. #Nearly 200 hours and hasn't missed a beat.

Quiet, smoke free, has an alternator, idles for a litre an hour,

It'll do me anyday. ( and you should be able to pick up a BF 130 for around the $12,000-$14,000. depends on where you shop)

cheeers # Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Big_Kev

Heres the figures from me.
    Two stroke means go deaf and die from lung cancer, become broke filling the tank.
    Four stroke means spend some more bills up front but Quiet no smoke good economy.
    For myself I don't care how good the two stroke technology gets, if a four stroke gets the same attention it will make us wonder why manufacturers would continue with a dinosour concept for so long.
    Cheers Kev.

NQCairns

You on the troll Kev? nq

For me it's the 2 stroke Opti

. Quiet at idle
    . No smoke or fumes
    . Economical
    . Power is instantanious

Not sure about reliability just yet, only done 35 hrs. 8)

IMPO, the Optimax does anything a 4 banger can do, as well as providing 'grunt' off the mark to get your boat on the plain quicker.

Not sure how the noise levels compare at higher than idle speeds, someone may be able to knock me down a pegg or two on that one

Go the Dinosours

Cheers
    Craig.

No fumes Craig. you trying to tell me they have invented an outboard oil that , when burned, doesn't leave an odour in the air ?

As for getting on the plane quicker. lots of variables here.

prop, power to weight,torque, trim and driver.

see ya on the water

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Big_Kev

Don't worry Craigie we would never leave you out there. LOL
    Cheers Kev.