Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outboard comparison

NQCairns

Re: Outboard comparison

Lucky Phill wrote:

No fumes Craig. #you trying to tell me they have invented an outboard oil that , when burned, doesn't leave an odour in the air ?
    As a result of the hugely tough future US emission laws some makers have claimed and passed tests that prove their 2cycles use less oil total than escapes past the piston rings on your average 4cycle! and thats on a near new 4st too not one that has 300hours or more up. Arn't hondas known for useing 1litre of sump oil every 20 hours or so on average?nq

I like any engine that pushes a boat but oils aint oils any more it seems.

Big_Kev

some makers have claimed and passed tests that prove their 2cycles use less oil total than escapes past the piston rings on your average 4cycle!

Thats a bold claim NQ

Cheers Kev. #

NQCairns

More like a floor ya type claim I recon, wonder how true it is nq

Whatever fumes come out of the yamaha direct injection and the ficht i can tell you first hand they stink! ??? honda and yamaha 4 strokes are much quieter and no fumes comparable to the 2 bangers.

NQ if the honda uses 1 litre per 20 hours my motors been running with no oil for a long time how can you beat a motor that runs without oil!!!

Kev & Phill,

Thought I might get a nibble out of you guy's

I stand by what I have said, there is no smoke from the Optimax. If you try very hard you may get a slight wiff of something, but then again that could be something from my jocks ???
    Merc Optimax and Merc 4 Bangers are both a 3 star 'Ultra Low' emissions rating, could be vary hard to split them ?

Might have to arrange a couple of Joy Ride/Fishing trips so you guy's can smell the roses as well

How about Mud Is in the near future ????

Cheers Guy's,

Craig.

Big_Kev

NQ where did you get that info from???

No nibble's Craigie, I would love to come for a run, and then you can come for a run with me as well.
    And as for the roses, I prefer the smell of fishing, so don't wear that sweet smelling stuff for me LOL.
    Cheers Kev.

NQCairns

Guys would love to be able to back it up with solids but it is all typical second hand chatboard info from numerous sites in the USA and stuck solid in my mind.
    Sometimes I do save to file but didn't in this case so like I said I wonder how true it is.
    Would be interesting to hear how many 4st actually make it anywhere near an oil change without adding topup oil in between?.

I think that untill these new 2st motors prove themselves I would stay away from them, even though they have it all over the 4st's on paper. Mackmauler glad to hear yours is good.nq

PS did you know that almost no US o/b rebuilder will give above a token warrenty on any DFI engine rebuilt, yes another second hand gem but tells a story .

Is it right that Optimax spark plugs cost $45 each plus they have to be fitted by the dealer?

NQCairns

Dont know about the opti but the ficts need or needed each plug indexed. Every plug gap must point toward the injector so sometimes it takes a few plugs per cylinder to get lucky when torqued up. Strictly a plug cannot be used twice because of the crushable washer so they should be discarded, two or 3 plugs per hole would certainly add up on a 6cyl engine possibly the opti is the same?.nq

Big_Kev

NQ, for your unofficial survey on oil consumption I have not added any oil to my 60 and it is at 105hrs and was first serviced at 15hrs and not since but is due agin now.
    That afforementioned comparison was obviously not done on an
    OZONE DEPLETING DOUBLE BANGER MOSQUITO KILLER and a 60 Yammie 4 stroke or it would have died with no oil in 90 hrs.
    Cheers Kev

No worries Kev, sounds like we have a couple of fishing/boating trips for Autumn/Winter this year
    Yep, no special aromas on the body, just smell the exaust free, fresh air

Cheers Craig.

dunno about this oil usage stuff..

my 115 merc 4s has over 300hrs in 18 months, and I've never put oil in it.

opti's and hdpi are great if you want hole shot - skiing and stuff, but for my fishing its fuel economy, fuel economy and fuel economy.

I get 1.5-2nm per litre which is not bad..

Cheers
    George

Hey George.
    It's quiet obvious you haven't driven an OPTIMAX yet. You're talking about fuel economy, my 115 OPTIMAX will be within a cats wisker of yours. Overall average 2.5 klms /lt. Then add 25 percent more power.At idle/troll speed motor runs at aprox 400/1. Hence no smoke or smell.

Big_Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Greggo
    Hey George.
    .At idle/troll speed motor runs at aprox 400/1. Hence no smoke or smell.
    Still an oil burning mosquito killer LOL.

Fuel economy is a great thing no doubt,but after I put between three and four thousand litres of fuel through my 115 conventional 2 st I have just caught up to the purchase price of an optimax,then there's the $45 dollar spark plugs,Spray bars that will have to be replaced at $1500 a side,plus your normal service and runing costs.I can't help but think that buying one of these for it's fuel consumption rate is a false economy.