Thread: can i save some $ " electric "

can i save some $ " electric "

JUST LOOKED AT ELECTRIC MOTERS AND WAS A LITTLE SHOCKED ON THE PRICE TAGS. IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE A FRESHWATER FOR THE OCCATIONAL SALT WATER OUTING AS THEY ARE MUCH CHEAPER AND THE ONLY THING WE CAN SEE IS THAT THE ONLY METAL COMPONANT IS THE PROP FITTINGS AND THE SHAFT IS GRAPHITE. IS A GOOD WAS STRAIGHT AFTER USE OK OR IS NOT WORTH THE RISK.

Re: can i save some $ " electric "

I can not sa that I have any experience with this, however, there is a good article in Decembers QFM that suggests that the author has had great results to date using a fresh water Motorguide in the salt and for the price difference, I reckon I would have a crack at it!

Fletch

Take note to see if the author isnt sponsored by Motorguide and is just peddling that crap because of that sponsorship..

Ive owned both and i personally wouldnt risk it.. save your money and buy a MinnKota. the freshwater one is fine to use in the salt, just give it a good wash down after use and if the prop allows, fit a sacrificial anode nut where the prop nut is

Tim

thanks for the input lads, i am looking at the minnkota"s and i also feel good maintanance outways the outlandish price of the salt water models aven if the seals are not space shuttle tight or what ever the salt models said. drop anything electrical over no matter what it is seals will be tested. eg; once had a couple of fellows on 88 that had pul started there moter over the side although it was retrieved it also spent a long time at the docters . thanks guys flat days and still trees .

I have also started looking for an electric and have also been told to strap an sacrificial anode to the freshwater model (Motorguide Salesman) and it is still covered by waranty for 2 years regardless of salt water use.
    Also, I have never seen a transom mounted electric, always bow could somone explain benefits, cheers John

I have a transom mounted Minn Kota 50lb. It will get my 4m tinnie up to 3-4 knots. Sorry no pics. I haven't tried a bow mounted one, but I imagine it would be a bit easier to manouver the boat around.

I am toying with the idea of mounting mine on some form of bracket at the front. but doubt it is worth the hassle.

I am also thinking of side mounting it (just behind the front deck, on a normal open tinnie). Could someone give me their opinions on that??

Mickk

sorry mini 696 not sure on the boat mounts as mine is going onto a canadian canoe but the local dealers had a catalog there with all sorts of wonderfull mounts and assortments hope this helps. happy days.

Hey all. Ive got a normal freshwater minnkota bowmount on my boat and ive used it in salt and have never had a problem. My dealer told me not to bother with a salt one. He said just wash it well and spray it with inox. Ive done that every time and there aint one bit of corrosion. I did buy a anode though that bolts on the prop which cost under $10. And also ive used motor guides and i wouldnt recommend them. See yas

Read the Dec QFM story on electrics today which was interesting. What is Inox? Cheers John.

it depends on how mush U value the warranty. If a freshwater unit is used in salt then kiss warranty goodbye be carefull they to expensive to make a mistake

I questioned the minn kota man at the boat show and he said the warranty will be void if it is a direct result of using a freshwater in salt. By this he ment corossion. He did also say that if it was a problem with electrical it would be still be under warranty because they are sealed and if water gets in its a seal problem meaning the product was faulty. He did say it would be hard to prove it was directly from the use in salt water. If you also look at alot of the bream tournament anglers they are using freshwater models. Inox is just a form of oily spray which kills corrosion and protects. Think its about $10 a can. I also use this on my outboard after every salt trip. See yas