Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual Axle Suspension Help

Re: Dual Axle Suspension Help

here's my setup...

when i go over gutters, 1 axle suspends in mid air like reel hard says.

the end of the pivot plate with the hanger link is fwd.

Needmorerum

aido, I would have thought that the shackle at the front of the rocker arm should be down, that is with the spring under the rocker arm, not above.

I am going to take FLATHEAD1's advice and move the shackle to the other end, so it is not at the rocker arm. This makes good sense when you sit back and think about it.

Corry

PS. Will probably do this over the weekend if the weather doesn't allow me to get out, if not, I will do it next week. Will post up how it goes.

Corry,

My centre rocker arm is set up the same way as Aido's with the spring above the rocker arm and the hanger is on the front spring side.

The front end of the front sping is connected straight onto the bracket on the trailer frame, while the rear end on the rear spring is connected via another hanger.

Yours looks all backwards to me. Good luck

Mark

Big_Kev

I am going to take FLATHEAD1's advice and move the shackle to the other end, so it is not at the rocker arm. This makes good sense when you sit back and think about it.

Corry

I think this will cause bump steer, and you will loose the lot at speed.

Needmorerum

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Hard
    I think this will cause bump steer, and you will loose the lot at speed.

Can you explain what 'bump steer' is?
    I'm not sure which way to go now. I had a look at a new Dunbier trailer today, they have dual slipper springs. I've been looking at every dual axle trailer I go past and none of them seem to be the same.
    Still open to hear/see how others are set up. Will hold of changing anything for now.

Corry

Big_Kev

Putting a moving point at the front of the leading spring/axel as well as at the rear of the axel will cause a change the angle of the axle across the chassis when only one wheel hits a bump.
    Thus causing the trailer to steer itself when it hits a bump.
    Can be dangerous as the trailer re-acts and then steers the other way.
    Might cause the trailer to fishtail and turn the whole show around.

Have you contacted the manufacturer yet, or gone back to the dealer for a solution?
    They should be only to willing to offer advice.
    I recomend you contact the manufacturer for advice before you do any modification, even take the trailer to them and explain what the problem is.

Needmorerum

Typically, the dealer that supplied the trailer, has now closed down.
    Searching the web, I have come across the below photo. The link to this site is http://www.industrialsprings.com.au/ies1007.htm.
    What is the perception of this setup? Having both shackles on the rocker arm. Would this cause 'bump steer' on the rear axle.

Corry

Big_Kev

The rear spring has a pivot fixed solid to the chassis.
    Also note the difference of e and f. ie;the springs can be installed the wrong way around.

Big_Kev

I wish there was just one way. Now I am wondering if mine is right.

Both mine are facing the same way. Front of front spring is fixed and back is sliding. This back end is straight on to the centre swing. ie there are no short upright extensions. Then the back spring is fixed direct to the other side of the centre swing. And the back of the back is sliding and that is straight to the trailer.

Cheech

Needmorerum

I think I've opened up a big can of worms here. Would it be possible to ask those that have dual set ups, to take a piccy of them and throw them up. I wouldn't mind comparing some of the options.

Corry

I phoned my mate who is in the business.

NB. Both ends of each spring, should have a pivot point, and the short part of the spring should be towards the centre .

He said that when the springs drop down, generally extending the length of the central pivot point bar, will stop providing room for the shackle to swing down.

The springs in other words are to far apart in the middle . There should not be room for them to get through the space created by the hanger, and the end of the spring pivot.
    Hope this helps
    David

Needmorerum

David, I get the part where he suggests that both the short ends of the springs shoudl be in the middle, but where are the shackles. In the middle on the rocker arm, or at the chassis ends, or the front one at the rocker arm, and the back one at the chassis?

Corry

Corry, hope this helps.
    David

searaider

Corry ,
    I hate to say it but I think some has had your suspension of and reinstalled it backwards .
    I have just had a look at my 2 year old Tinka classic & it has the same set up as aido & SeaSaw . I took some photo's I hope this helps .

Peter
    Searaider 2

First Photo is looking from the front looking towards the back of the trailer .