Thread: oils are or aren't oils

oils are or aren't oils

Just wondering what types of oils the two stroke owners are using.Are you matching oils to manufacturers (merc-Quicksilver ,Yamaha-Yamalube)etc,or is it what ever the local servo sells? What differences if any have you noticed if using different oils, (performance, consumption, less smoke ETC).Have always wondered what oil is the best one to use in any standard non-competitive outboard.Would love to hear the different opinions on this. I have a 1990 Johnson 175 and tend to use what ever i can get my hands on. Is there better?
    It's FULLY SIC man

Re: oils are or aren't oils

I always try to match the manufactures oil to the same make of engine. I would think that this would best suit the engine, even though they all made to the same spec, TCW3. It is important however to not mix different brands of oil. It is not so much of a problem with premix motors, but with oil injected motors the gums formed can clog up the injectors.

I stay with the Valvoline oil. Seems to work good on my engines, minimal smoke and doesn't stink much. In my evinrude its been used for 6 years, and I use the boat all year round. My mates Yamaha stinks when he tried it; so he now uses the Yamy oil; but I think that stink just as bad.

NQCairns

With all the hearsay about oils a while back I decided to do some research after countless hours on the net over weeks.

I came to these conclusions there are some brilliant aftermarket oils out there but some (most) are not imported in Oz and that one of the oem brands buys and sells as their own in Oz a brilliant aftermarket oil that blows the tcw3 rating way way out of the water although it costs an arm and a leg a great deal more than the same stuff in another bottle in the US and lastly one brand's mineral based oil that is not hugely expensive well exceeds the tcw3 rating also, I guess they had to team up with a good oil (read additive bundle)because of the way they run their ratios - oops did I give that one away
    Just my opinion. nq

We fish and play in our boat so when towing the kids with the missus on board i was getting complaints about stink i tried shell nautilus it stinks i tried sierra it stinks i am now using evinrude xd 100 it is better in the stink and less smoke department but costs $55 for 4 litres but if you buy an etec engine to go with it you can get the oil injection calibrated to 100:1 so save money on oil
    cheers