Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Johnson VRO Problems

Re: Johnson VRO Problems

The VRO is a pretty simple & reliable device. However they do wear out over time. Mine has recently failed, and it's only due to cost that I'm not putting another one back in. My VRO lost the ability to keep fuel pressure up. I"ve been quoted $650 for a new VRO, or $116 for a standard fuel pump in it's place. I wont mind having to pre-mix my fuel as it never stays in the tank long enough to go stale.
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

Are you sure it's your fuel pump that has failed Kero, have you proved it?

best option, fix it up and use it, then find another mechanic that knows what he is talking about, how easy is that?

I have 2 x1996 70hp jonno's on my cat (800 hrs ). One motor used to smoke like crazey and use twice as much oil as the other and fouled up all the time. The other ran sweet. Last year 1km out from the ramp the no oil alarm went off on the good motor. Got it looked at, vro pump stuffed. Was told new pump was $650 for part only or disconnect both and pre mix 50:1. The mechanic was johnson dealer and was surprised they had lasted that long. I had them disconnected and the motors run sweet as ever they smoke far less and i use heaps less oil than i was before. Every other johnson mechanic i spoke to before this this incident suggested to disconnect the vro.

I chose to go pre mix 1st cos of cost of the part and 2nd cos the motors are only worth about $1500 each.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Are you sure it's your fuel pump that has failed Kero, have you proved it?
    Absolutely Fed! I'm not of fan of spending money when it's not needed.
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

Good stuff Kero, I think with the price difference I'd be going to premix too.
    $650 is a crazy number, I bet there's a lot of perfectly good ones lying around that have been taken off because of fear or wrong diagnosis.
    Good luck with it.

Yeah Fed, that's what I figured. The boat has been out of the water for nearly 2 months now. I've had a new transom put in, and the fuel pump goes on tomorrow. I've also taken the opportunity to replace all fuel hoses, fittings and fuel tank pick-up. I'm itching to get out on the water again. This weekend is the plan.
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

I have owned my latest boat for 15months. It has a V6 carbied,150hp, 1998 Jonno with VRO.

The VRO disphragm was shagged the day I received the boat.

I disconnected the system immediately and have been running on pre-mix at 50:1 for the last 100 motor hours.

It runs well and idles only slightly rougher because of the 50:1 at idle verses 100:1 as provided by the VRO system.

With long idle periods at 50:1 I'd replace the plugs at say 50 hrs verses 100

The special plugs for that engine (champion) are very expensive from dealers BUT I have found that Bursons Auto Parts can get them for you at a much cheaper price. Just grab a plug for whatever jonno you have and quote plug number to them for a price.

I'm gunning for a new 175 Suzuki 4 stroke when the jonno plays up but to date its been running fine... at 12 yrs old.

Regards
    Anthony
    2010 Whittley Cruiser (Volvo Penta Power - 26 hrs)
    2007Yamaha FXHO Cruiser PWC (165hrs) wife's
    2006Yamaha FXHO Cruiser PWC (220hrs) mine
    1999 Whittley Monterey 150V6 Johnson (181hrs) SOLD

Well... VRO is off, new fuel pump is on, oil in fuel tank, runs like a dream again! Ye Ha!
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    best option, fix it up and use it, then find another mechanic that knows what he is talking about, how easy is that?
    Not very easy. That's one half the problem - where are these "good" mechanics. The other problem is that the VRO system is so complicated that when it becomes aged there are so many different parts that can fail. Even a "good" mechanic might spend a lot of time (your money) trying to find the leak, or the bad connection, or the buggered diaphram.

If you are boating on a budget like most of us battlers, and your motor is getting on in years, then you will get best bang for your buck by disconnecting the VRO system.

I just changed the VRO on a 1985 70HP Evinrude only because the VRO seals failed, had no problems with it in the past and all 3 cylinders have same psi on comp test (170 psi each).

But for a $65 standard fuel pump and having to pre mix fuel it was a no brainer.

Adam

I know this is old thread but I'll add my 2 cents worth to the smoking Jono, as I've had a couple that smoke like buggery when left to sit for a month or so, and currently still have one. Gleaned from what SeaSaw said earlier in the topic, I consulted some VRO diagrams and thought about this. I remove the oil intake from the VRO and it sat for a month, when I started after sitting it was so much better. no smoke. The theory is that when the motor is sitting unused the oil is still under pressure from the primer bulb in the oil line, with a worn O ring on the diaphragm piston or faulty injection valve, oil will trickle into the fuel side of the pump and fill the fuel line which is at the bottom of the pump. On starting that oil is then pumped into the carbies, with a lower ratio of fuel that 50:1 and BOOM....smoke and lots of it. Remedy is remove the oil hose everytime it sits, replace VRO or remove it and used premix.

A friend came to the same conclusion a few years ago, and his fix was to put a tap in the oil line, which work well.
    Until the day he forgot to turn it back on at the ramp, boom!

And to add a counter view I complained to my Evinrude Master Tech ( years ago) about the massive amount of smoke my two 115 Evinrudes emit on startup and I was told to more or less be grateful as the motors will never wear out as most of the wear occurs when the motors first start from cold without lots of oil in the mix.

My conclusion is that I will accept the few minutes of smoke until the motors warm up as a benefit that will result in the motor remaining in excellent working order.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

I'm certainly no expert but my understanding of the VRO system is that it leans off the oil mix depending on the engine load so in theory less smoke at idle because of less load. When they fail they can't lean so more oil more smoke (safe mode). This was the advantage over the early Mercs and Yammies as when their oil injection units failed they pumped no oil so BOOM! We have had two VRO outboards that have had the VRO failed and all good but lots of smoke, one a 110 Evinrude and one 70 Johno. We replaced both units only once and they never failed again. $650 is a cheap fix in boating terms really! You don't get much replaced on a car for $650 nowadays!