Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sikaflex

Sikaflex

Hi Guys,
    So we all know that Sikaflex is the greatest for sealing but I'm just wondering how youse clean off the excess while its still wet, you know, like when you bed down a fitting on it and it all squelches out the sides???

Up till now ive just used a bit of metho on a rag but if too much metho gets into the sikaflex it doesnt go off properly so I figured that there must be a better way??

Thanks

Scott

Re: Sikaflex

wet ya finger and wipe it off

Used quite a bit of detrergent in a glass with a little bit of water. (1/2 full)
    and it stops it sticking to your fingers and you can withoff the excess.
    Have a old rag at your side to wipe it on to then when you are done, rag in the bin and all clean

Sika sell a clean up. SikaŽ Cleaner-205.

http://www.sika.com.au/cmi/marine.htm

Big_Kev

Prem sol. You will get it at a paint shop.
    Or CO Contact cleaner in a spray can. Spray on and wipe away.
    I know what you mean that stuff gets everywhere and seems to jump from nowhere when you turn away. Particularly when my 2 yr old grabs the tube and gets a handful and a mouthful.
    Cheers Kev.

I've seen professional glass installers (when putting in shopfronts) just spray a water solution on the bead and sourounding glass and just wipe it off. It doesn't stick to the glass (except at the join) due to the fine mist of water on the glass. I assume that the water would have some detergent in it to break the surface tension. Haven't tried it myself but will consider it when I'm in that situation.

Morlers

If its ordainary sikaflex/silicone try redback silicone cleanup

Just done some myself and like Kitzk says just use wash up detergent in a bit of water. Cleans it up great. Doesnt get it off your fingers though!!!

Wet cleanup with turps or inox works fine and sikaflex still goes off .Or dont use so much
    cheers jon

DNO40

I use a spray window cleaner. Seems to work fine.

I used metho then tried acetone and then found the normal turps works the best of all.

gif

I had met the Qld Manager of Sikaflex recently so I put the question to him:

Hi Gary,

Nice to hear from you. To answer your question, Sikaflex is best cleaned up with Sika Remover 208 or Mineral Turpentine. You must be careful using any solvents / cleaners which contain alcohols or their derivatives as these are known to permanently inhibit Sikaflex from curing. ie windex, metho, Sika Cleaner 205 etc. I noticed that on the chatboard someone has said to us Sika Cleaner 205 which would have a negative effect.

Mineral Turps is readily available and most households have a Litre in the cupboard, so I'd recommend using it as the clean up.
    If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me on 0407 741566

Regard,
    Sika Australia Pty Limited

Denis Gray
    State Manager Queensland

Thanks Heaps for the info guys, Much appreciated

Scott

CHRIS_aka_GWH

for an even neater finish, line up first then use masking tape to mask a mm or so off the edges, sika the parts together, wipe down with turps then remove tape. Never leave the tape too long after the turps, because the solvent will affect it.

Good on the manager of sikaflex too. It is the ducks nuts for boating - i use it for all sorts of fittings where I don't want to or can't drill holes.

My Landy loves it too.

I notice that Sikaflex 291 goes slightly off colour after a period and attracts mold when exposed. There are so many products available out there. Polyurethane, Silicone Polymer etc.
    Any thoughts?