Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sikaflex

Re: Sikaflex

Personally I have switched over to fixtech sealants. Don't seem to yellow off like sicka. As for clean up, I prefer mechanical clean up them metho on a rag to clean traces off gloss surfaces if a rag won't cut it on it's own - only use small squares as each one is a one use only or it just spreads further. Bunnings sell a small kit of silicone clean up squares that have various radius and bevel sizes - best tool bar none for clean up of the bead that I have found. If you need a slick finish surface, the squirt bottle with water and dish detergent works a treat as mentioned

Gone off Sika due to it going off colour as well. You can let the sika set then using a plastic spatula that has a sharp edge cut the sika both ways and it just peels off on a good clean surface, wax the surrounding area first to make sure.

Use a fair bit of Sika( Polyurethane) in my job (High Rise Construction).
    Without trying to be a smartarse, there should be no cleanup after application.
    By all means use painters tape( The blue one).
    As previously stated , smooth off with a mixture of washing up detergent and water.
    Whether you use a paddle pop stick or your finger , spray your detergent on both the Sika and your finger/paddle pop stick.
    Dont forget, the only time to clean up is when it is wet.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    wet ya finger and wipe it off
    Don't do this unless you want the remnants on your finger for days.
    Shawn

Much prefer fix15 and some of the trex polymers over sikaflex nowadays and the yellow squares from Bunnings with the different angles for edging are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Use a fair bit of Sika( Polyurethane) in my job (High Rise Construction).
    Without trying to be a smartarse, there should be no cleanup after application.
    By all means use painters tape( The blue one).
    As previously stated , smooth off with a mixture of washing up detergent and water.
    Whether you use a paddle pop stick or your finger , spray your detergent on both the Sika and your finger/paddle pop stick.
    Dont forget, the only time to clean up is when it is wet.
    Shawn
    Yep, done it all ways. If just trying to seal a joint, not a problem by just laying a bead then spraying with water and a little detergent and a wet finger. If pushing two items together esp fibreglass, and lots of excess comes out the plastic works well once it goes off. I know a guy who just uses his credit card. Turps clean up afterwards is relatively easy.

Quote Originally Posted by U4REEL View Post
    Much prefer fix15 and some of the trex polymers over sikaflex nowadays and the yellow squares from Bunnings with the different angles for edging are awesome!
    I think I might try the Fixtech product. i think Boating RV sell it.
    what are those yellow squares from Bunnings actually called?

Quote Originally Posted by Danf View Post
    I think I might try the Fixtech product. i think Boating RV sell it.
    what are those yellow squares from Bunnings actually called?
    No idea but they are in the paint section, about 4 in a packet with all different radii and square corners depending on the finish you want. Check around where the spatulas etc are

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    No idea but they are in the paint section, about 4 in a packet with all different radii and square corners depending on the finish you want. Check around where the spatulas etc are
    Could not agree more, great product.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Yep, done it all ways. If just trying to seal a joint, not a problem by just laying a bead then spraying with water and a little detergent and a wet finger. If pushing two items together esp fibreglass, and lots of excess comes out the plastic works well once it goes off. I know a guy who just uses his credit card. Turps clean up afterwards is relatively easy.
    Good info here.
    Have found metho is also a good alternative.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Could not agree more, great product.
    Shawn
    Got them today, they worked well.

I've gone off sika purely because it goes off once opened. I shudder to think of how many tubes my old man and I have thrown away. I have been using fix tech. Don't know if it's as strong but it's so good to go to the tube and be able to get some out. Re sika though I pulled my console up probably 15 years after it had gone down and it delaminated the glass rather than break. If I really wanted something stuck I'd still use sika marine adhesive/sealant. Also have used as caulking on timber boats.
    I've used soudal Trex and sellies armour flex around the home and they're very strong.
    Turps to clean up sika. Have never tried the detergent on sika but it is the best trick I've ever learned with normal silicones around bathrooms etc. For a professional finish remove your old silicone join in bathroom or kitchen splashback or tile join. Goop an oversize bead (don't skimp really needs to be fat or u will get gaps on next step) along join. Spray all along bead and surrounding area with detergent and water. Now nothing will stick. Take paddlepop stick. Run along each 90 deg angle creating a perfect fillet, collecting excess silicone and discarding.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    I've gone off sika purely because it goes off once opened. I shudder to think of how many tubes my old man and I have thrown away. I have been using fix tech. Don't know if it's as strong but it's so good to go to the tube and be able to get some out. Re sika though I pulled my console up probably 15 years after it had gone down and it delaminated the glass rather than break. If I really wanted something stuck I'd still use sika marine adhesive/sealant. Also have used as caulking on timber boats.
    I've used soudal Trex and sellies armour flex around the home and they're very strong.
    Turps to clean up sika. Have never tried the detergent on sika but it is the best trick I've ever learned with normal silicones around bathrooms etc. For a professional finish remove your old silicone join in bathroom or kitchen splashback or tile join. Goop an oversize bead (don't skimp really needs to be fat or u will get gaps on next step) along join. Spray all along bead and surrounding area with detergent and water. Now nothing will stick. Take paddlepop stick. Run along each 90 deg angle creating a perfect fillet, collecting excess silicone and discarding.
    Keep your sika/silicone in the freezer once opened - if you have a beer fridge otherwise fights may break out.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Keep Sika in the freezer and silicone in the fridge. Seal ends completely with plastic. Silicone doesnt like to be frozen from my experience
    Tug
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Keep your sika/silicone in the freezer once opened - if you have a beer fridge otherwise fights may break out.
    Always keep my sealers in the freezer, always get to use it right to the end of the tube.