Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercury 30hp v Yamaha 30hp

Mercury 30hp v Yamaha 30hp

Hi all, I am looking at a 2nd hand engine to repower my mid 80's Stacer 4.2m forward control. I have the choice of 2004 Yamaha 3 cyl DETOL 30 2 stroke with 10hrs or 2003 Mercury 2cyl 30 2 stroke with power tilt/trim with 46 hours. Both engines are immaculate and dealer serviced. Difference in price is $700 including fitting. Yamaha is more expensive, but has optional digital guage with it. Mercury is right on the transom weight limit of 80kg. Yamaha is 68kg. Hull is rated to 35hp. Which would be the better buy? I mainly fish the Bay from Wellington Point. Current engine is a rusted out 30hp Mariner.

Needmorerum

Re: Mercury 30hp v Yamaha 30hp

I think the Merc's have a bit more torque. I go shooting with a bloke and we both take our boats with us. Identical boats, and I've got the Merc and he has the Yammy. I've just found that when loaded the Merc can hold it's power all the way through the rev range.
    My opinion.

Corry

Thanks Corry. Noted with interest.

Jack, I don't have experience with the Merc, but I run a 30D without the electrics. It is a great motor and I would expect it to be better then the Merc if only from the smoothness that a 3 cylinder exhibits over the 2 pot. You just don't get the vibration out of the Yammie 3 that you do with 2 pot motors. Do yourself a favour and get the Yammie. I run a 4.45 centre console and the Yammie pushes it around without any problems, starts first time every time and is economical to boot. Your boat will also appreciate the lighter weight of the Yamaha.

Big_Kev

If the Merc is 2cyl and the Yammie is 3cyl I would go for the Yammie.
    Otherwise I would take the Merc and save the 700 nicker.

This may be a sperate post, but do the triple carbs on the Yamaha give much trouble going out of balance or tune?
    Jack

Big_Kev

Like duh.
    I just read your post again. How embaresment!
    The Yam is 3 cyl and the merc is 2 cyl Oh!! you already said that.
    Go the Yammie for sure.
    I had a 4.2 Stacer seahorse runabout mid 80's.
    I fitted a 40 Yammie 2cyl CV and it went like Shite of a shovel.
    I got more for the boat then what I forked out and having a Yammie was a selling point.
    Cheers Kev.

i got 30 hp merc on my 4.2m stacer. its fantastic. only 3 months old. went for merc cause couldnt get electric start in yammy. u said that the 30 hp merc had power trim and tilt. is this common for the merc. maybe someone nows. would love that.
    thanks

Hi Seahorse
    From my limited research Mercury did not seem to sell that 30hp motor with tilt trim after 2003. It may have something to do with the new 4 strokes coming out around the same time in Oz. Any Mercury historians out there? There is an article on a Mercury 30hp ELPTO dated Mar 2003 on Boatpoint under engine reviews worth reading. It says only Merc and Yam had power tilt/trim then.
    Jack

Was looking at the same sort of motors for a 395 dart. Spoke to a few people n said they wouldnt touch a 30 merc n if had to buy a merc would opt for the dearer 25merc.Go the yammy all the way, much smoother motor.(Didnt end up with a 395 not yeat ne way, still lookin)
    Cheers

I love my yammie, but if it was me, I'd look at the cost vs advantage. The yammie might be a better motor (arguable) but costs a lot more.

Whats the price difference relative to the cost of each motor? If its something like a 30% price difference, I'd go the cheaper motor, save the $700, and enjoy power tilt/trim.

go the yamaha only 10 hrs on it its a bargain reliable and dependable

Update. Bought the Yamaha. To be fitted by the Dealer and retains the balance of the factory warranty. Thankyou for the feedback. This is a great site.
    Jack

merc gave 3 year warrenty. good enough for me.

well done jack enjoy the yamaha you wont regret it ive had one fa yrs and it dont stop just service and flush and check your oils cheers