Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smuggler Boats

Smuggler Boats

I have been a fan of these for many years and was wondering if anyone has been for a ride in one or owns one?If so what are they like and do they handle the chop? They look awsome and I recon one day id love to own one.(bit far away) These would make a great overnight/weekend boat.Have seen them occasionly for sale around the thirty to thirty five grand mark.If buying this brand of boat at that price what would be the things to look out for mechanically.Any advice would be great.

Re: Smuggler Boats

Sorry guys i forgot to mention the model. its the 6.2 mtr.

Hey,

Very nice boats that handle extremely well due to their 30? degree deadrise. Tend to be a bit tippy though also.

They are no longer made, and I heard the moulds went to WA. Does anyone know where, or what their new name is?

I saw one sell recently for 16K on trailer with 140hp Johnson. Was in good condition, but you can bet the engine needed replacing real soon.

For paying 35k i'd expect a really new engine.

Regards

Darren

Big_Kev

There is one for sale near here.
    It is a sexy looking boat thats for sure.
    It has a Mercury inboard (small block chev).
    The owner says it does 100kmh easy.
    I think it is only around the 20k mark.

That does sound very nice.That small block would go through the juice.
    Moulds gone to wa hey.Used to be made on the gold coast.i think they would be a very good buy.allthough you would require a large vehicle for towing.

I used to work next door to them when they were on the Gold Coast.
    Can't attest to the ride, but they seemed to take pride in their work.
    Shame to hear they've given it away
    Owen
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Hi there
    I was also wondering about the smuggler, would an 88 model have timber stringers, I read that the later models dont use timber. I tried to contact them on the old number, but it is disconected.
    Haro

anyone

Check boat boy50 quote.Apparently gone to WA

My old man has a 6.3 smuggler that he has owned since new. Had it custom built in 84 I think. Beautiful all round boat, offshore, lakes, very stable and fast. Handles the chop with ease. It has a 5.0ltre merc and cruises well at 40mph. Workmanship is excellent, we still get comments about what a great looking rig it is.

I know of a few about on the Gippsland lakes and everyone loves them. The only issue to look out for on a second hand one is the motor/ leg etc. Most have been looked after very well. Not sure what sort of money your talking but I still think there one if the best looking and seaworthy runabouts out there.

Happy to answer any quaestions anyone may have

Hi all, just to let you all know that i owned smuggler boats for a year before on selling it in January 2005. I heard the new owner went belly up (unfortunately) and sold all the moulds and yes have all been shipped to W.A. I have 2 complete 660 Suncruisers sitting in a shed collecting dust, these are all the moulds and the boats have not been put together ( I just dont have the time ). One has a black hull and the other white. The Stringers are made of fibreglass and no wood has been used throughtout the make up of all the moulds. I also have a Smuggler 590 Centre console that is 1 year old with approx 18hr on the motor. If anyone is interested in buying any of these as is, please get back to me through the chat or check my profile .
    Cheers All

Hello Adrian, I’m not sure if you are still active on here, and this is a bit of a long shot. Do you still have any of the boats still that you’d sell? I’m looking around for a smuggler at the moment and came across this thread. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfisk View Post
    Hello Adrian, I’m not sure if you are still active on here, and this is a bit of a long shot. Do you still have any of the boats still that you’d sell? I’m looking around for a smuggler at the moment and came across this thread. Cheers
    Saw this one for sale the other day....

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/li...are_attachment

Saw another for sale in QLD as well, just not sure where the listing was..

Ausfish Platinum Member

Ah, that's where I've seen the Smuggler name. Mark Fury builds an excellent boat, his 282's are legendary over here. Was the flooded keel now used in the original design? At a 30 degree transom deadrise, it would certainly be a head-on hero, but likely roll like a bastard in any kind of sea. Flooding keel would likely be to try to offset that.