Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best boat to buy under $30,000

Best boat to buy under $30,000

I am wanting to buy a reasonable all rounder that will enable me to fish morteon bay and occassionaly go outside as weather permits. The more I read the more confused I am getting. Someting that is obviously safe, gives some measure of shelter and I think between 4 - 5.5 meters. Was looking at Quintrex's Spirits but am open to a fiberglass boat as well. Most times it will be just me and my 14 yr old son fishing together. Any advice would be welcome...

Re: Best boat to buy under $30,000

Hey,

Are you looking for new or second hand?

You can buy a lot of excellent boats with that budget. I am a big fan of second hand boats and I believe this is how you should go.

30k will get you roughly (maybe not even) a new 5 metre cuddy alloy boat (Spirit ect).

The same money will buy you a late model glass 5.5 metre awesome boat second hand.

Heres an example.

I just sold a 1998 Haines Signature 540F, which was an excellent boat.

Take the asking price ($25990.00) as a sale price.
    Pay $120.00 to get the mechanic to check it out.
    Pay $100-$200 to get a shipwright to check out the boat.
    Pay $100 to get a revs check and unencumbered check done on the whole rig.
    If all checks out, talk with the seller a bit and maybe buy it for $25500.00
    You buy a decent boat that you are certain of it's abilities for under $26k.

Now take your spare $4k and go to the local marine shop. Buy an excellent colour GPS, Colour sounder, update safety gear, buy a new set of skis or new rods, upgrade the bimini, get the engine 100hr service and you've got a fantastic boat which will last you for many years to come.

Don't be scared to buy second hand private or from a dealer. I have never had ANY dramas when doing the homework first, even if it means paying professionals to help you.

On the flipside, you could've walked into the dealer, bought a new spirit, paid through the roof for the biggest boat you could afford, use it for six months and find its too small, hard riding and rough for you, and then turn around and sell only to lose a packet.

See my point?

Regards

Darren

Yeah I see your point but with my inexperience a 2/3 yr warranty gives a lot of peace of mind. My preference would definitely be new. If new was the only option what would you advise ? Thanks for the reply...

woun't get much for $30,000 new
    i agree with darren and there are alot of very good boats going second hand for alot less then $30,000 for that price you will get a pretty new boat and maybe even a boat still under warrinty already loaded with extras

The new Polycraft 5.3 comes in under 30 K. Nothing comes close to the polys as far as value for money is concerned.

I have just got a new boat 2mths ago these are some of the prices that where under $30000
    haines breeze500
    haines breeze 510
    signature 5mtr
    freedom 530
    coxcraft 540 reefrunner
    coxcraft 540 rumrunner

these price where motor, boat and trailier mostly priced with a 90hp and trailier no sounder/gps or saftey gear

I like the feeling of a new boat and motor that way I know what has been done to the package and if it takes a little while to save up and buy the gear you want so be it. also dont get cought up with packages that give you stuff you dont want. I have purchased 5 boats in the last five years all new and when I have sold them I have lost little or no money so if you look around new is a good option and you will not lose a lot of money.
    bought sold
    $3700 $2500
    $7800 $ 8000
    $10800 $10500
    $19800 $19500
    $29300 + extras $????????

this is not ripping anyone off and maybe I was just lucky

Thanks Krazyfisher...I am considering a number of those boats. Which one did you decide on and why ? Any dealers you found particularly good ?

i went with the coxcraft reefrunner and a 90 hp tohatsu and dunbier braked trailer.
    the reason I went with this was
    more room for my $$$$$
    standard features where more and better for what I wanted
    • Walkthrough Forward Hatch • Anchor Locker & Hatch • Live Bait Tank & Bait Tank
    • Kill Tank • Bow Spit • Forward Storage Compartments
    • Navigation Lights • S/S boarding Ladder • Cable Steering
    • S/S Bow Rails & Anchor Holder • S/S Cross Bollards • Anchor Roller
    • 2 x Stern Cleats • 4 Rod Holders • 2 Helm seats & soft ride Pedestals
    • Waterproof Switch Panel • S/S Windscreen Grab Rail • Rear Cockpit grip rails
    • Bilge Pump • Fuel Tank (135L) #• Fibreglass Stringer
    #• 5 year Structural Warranty

the 5 yr warranty, fibreglass stringers and the finish where the things that sold me on it.
    as for dealers I would give coxcraft a ring they may even know of a dealer that has them on special
    have a look at the web site and if i can tell you anymore just ask
    www.coxcraft.com

and there was no thing wrong with any of the other this boat just suited me better for the money

Well done krazyfisher. The number one thing to think when buying a boat is will it suit your needs.

I went the polycraft 5.30 Bowrider and am trying to keep occupied until it gets here so I don't drive everyone nuts The boat motor trailer package was well under $30k (including a 115hp suzi 4stroke), and a tad over $30k by the time I get the colour electronics, dsc vhf radio, and minnkota bowmount.
    Cheers,
    Tony

I agree with billfisher, you can't go past polycraft for value for money. I own a Quintrex spirit and I am very happy with it. It handles well in the rough, it's got stacks of features included that with other brands costs extra, and I got a very good deal on it, when I traded my old boat. However after looking at polycraft at the boat show, I'm really impressed by the finish, and cost of the rig. It would be very hard to beat value for money wise, and although I haven’t ridden in one, I've been told they handle the rough extremely well. I think my next boat may be a polly. I think you would be happy with either. Second hand Quinnys arn't cheap, they hold their value very well. Personally I've had bad experiences with second hand boats, even after all the checks have been done.

Regards,

Camo

First person I have ever heard who is happy with their spirit, give it time it will crack

devocean, this is the second one I’ve owned, had the first one for four years, it didn't crack. What would you suggest a Signature? Yeah owned one of them too, it had it's problems. Perhaps a Seafarer or Cruiscraft, I've mates who own them, and could tell you some stories. Everything's a compromise, there's no perfect boat, that is except for the one you own I suppose.

Camo

slap slap ouch [smiley=rifle.gif]

easy easy camo
    [smiley=smitten.gif]

Wait a month and get the Poly 5.3 cuddy. I own a Cruise Craft which is a great boat but as I am still learning (first boat) I often think the Poly boat would be good.
    Any-one want to buy a Cruise Craft so I can get the new Poly 5.3 ? TonyM you must be going out of you mind .... hahahaha ! Good to see you eventually went for the bigger motor.
    Tony M are they going to upgrade the tansom to take a 130 hp ?
    Best of luck what ever you get.

Have a good look at the Coxcraft Rumrunner 5.4 metre. I had 1 that was 22 years old with 115 Hp and they were only 5.2 metre. Now they have a pod on the new revised models.
    Was an excellent boat that went on Moreton bay a lot and more so to Mooloolabah and out to caloundra and off coolum heaps. Its a good hull that seems to split a wave rather than getting bounced by it. Great for 2 people but cramped for 3.
    I kept mine for 6 years and upgraded to a Cruise Craft 575 Outsider 21 months ago.

Angla

Will pop up a pic with the custom canopy too