Thread: Kayaks

Kayaks

I am looking at purchasing and setting up a kayak to fish from. As alot of members seem to utilise this method of fishing i was wondering if there is any advice, must have items or general info that would be helpful. Much appreciated.

Re: Kayaks

Basserman where aarrree yoouuu?

chanquetas

Now there's a question I CAN answer....

First of all, what sort of fishing are you interested in? If your main intended fishing method is trolling and you intend to frequent the deeper water, otherwise known as the ocean, then you would probably be well advised to purchase a proven ocean going kayak. Some of these are designed for fishing, with rod holders, and good storage, somewhere to put the esky etc.

However, you will be paddling. This means your hands are now busy, and you wont be able to play with your rod. If you get a strike then, yes, you can stop and work the fish, and this is no doubt fine for trolling in open water.

Now, suppose you want to frequent the estuaries, and fish for the ever-lovable bream, flathead, bass, etc, then I would strongly suggest you consider a Hobie kayak with the Mirage drive.

I have the Hobie Outback-Fisherman model, and my missus has the Hobie Sport-Fisherman. Both these kayaks are propelled by the Mirage Drive system, which comprises of 2 seal-like flippers that protrude through the hull, and flap from side to side as you press on the pedals with your feet. Speeds of up to 6 knots can be attained, and you can comfortably do 2 to 3 knots all day.

But the best thing is your hands are free to cast, tie knots, eat lunch, take photos, whatever - while you are still moving.

We still have paddles, and use them mainly for approaching/departing boat ramps/beaches. But if you choose you can paddle all day rather than pedal. But once you've pedalled you wont want to paddle!

The deciding factor may well be cost of course. I think the Outback cost about $1800?, this includes an anchor (for what its worth), Mirage drive unit (it is removable), esky (we dont use the Hobie one, but a cheapy from KMart fits perfectly behind my seat), removable seat, paddle, wheels (also removable), and good warranty and service.

Got any more questions just ask...there are others here who fish from regular kayaks and can probably tell you about the benefits of their rigs. (Gigantor)
    Cheers,
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by jack_hunter84
    I am looking at purchasing and setting up a kayak to fish from. As alot of members seem to utilise this method of fishing i was wondering if there is any advice, must have items or general info that would be helpful. Much appreciated.

Hey, you might want to give this website a try www.akff.com its an Aussie Kayak Fishing site...lots of tips and helpful people there.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Chanquetas
    This means your hands are now busy, and you wont be able to play with your rod.
    You REALLY like your kayak don't ya! *LOL*

I will tell you one must have item - A paddle

chanquetas

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin_Dan
    [quote author=Chanquetas link=1129096900/0#2 date=1129101239]This means your hands are now busy, and you wont be able to play with your rod.
    You REALLY like your kayak don't ya! #*LOL*
    [/quote]
    Mate....you wouldnt believe how much.........