Thread: trailer rollers

trailer rollers

Can any one tell me how to adjust trailer rollers, do you have most of the weight on the centre rollers at the bottom of the boat or spread through the rollers.

The trailer is a redco sportsman muti roller (singe axle) with a 5 mtr glass cuddy cab boat

Re: trailer rollers

I found out the hard way about setting up rollers/skids
    The trailer actually needs to have the weight of the boat distributed evenly on all the rollers for the reason that boat trailers are designed to use the weight of the boat to stop flexing. Enough flex over time will cause stress points on the trailer and eventually cause it to fall apart.
    My first trailer had skids fitted and I found them difficult when winching up the boat or even launching. So I asked a lot of people about how to set them up, eventually I listened to some people that had boats and trailers for 30+ years. Their advice was to setup the skids to that they only just supported the weight of the boat. I found this to work great, the boat came on and slid off with ease.
    Unfortunately these people with 30+ years experience never went on any long trips. My first trip within 3 weeks of owning my new boat/trailer combo was 3000kms one way and it was on my return trip I found out out about trailer flex
    The new trailer I had built is fitted with rollers, rollers, no skids and more rollers. I ended up consulting a structural engineer about setting out the rollers. What we ended up with in the end was enough of the boat weight on each roller so that you cant turn them by hand.
    This is currently working very well and the new trailer has about 8000ks on it.
    Shane

I think the setup varies on the type of hull and there are plenty that are better at setting up a trailer than me (read most!)
    However often the rollers or skids don't take the real weight but the weight is taken on the centre rollers at the bottom of the hull. The other rollers simply stop the craft from rocking side to side. If you travel a long distance you will find that any movement will cause great friction and damage, just like a tarp on a trailer will shred itself on a long trip if anything is allowed to flap.
    Long trip means strapping it down to avoid any excess movement but real weight is still on the central rollers.
    Take my stuff with a grain of salt but this is my understanding of many trailer setups.

Hi ShaneJ, when you say enough weight on the rollers that you can turn them by hand, do you mean you are able to rotate the roller or just rock it from side to side

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid
    Hi ShaneJ, when you say enough weight on the rollers that you can turn them by hand, do you mean you are able to rotate the roller or just rock it from side to side
    You dont want to be able to rotate any of the rollers by hand once the boat is on the trailer.
    Shane

Hi paranoid their,s a mag u can get from ur newsagent called trailers,towing & rooftopping with a hole lot information including how to set up a trailer have a look while in the shop if its not what u wont dont buy it hope this help,s. rodbender

Para,

if the setup is the old one of normal rollers along the spine you can do it the following way.

make sure winch post is where you want it, winch lug on front of boat under the roller on winch post, and stern of boat in preferred position at back of trailer.
    Loosen all roller mounts except front one and back one. (unless you want one of them to be higher or lower than it is.) (weight will now be even on front and back rollers)
    One by one tap each of the other rollers up until they are taking the amount of load you want, (with my polyurethane ones just want them squashed down slightly). Tighten bolts up when you are happy with position. This should result in a fairly even distribution of the weight. The skids or wobble rollers at the sides are positioned so they just steady the boat, they aren't pushed up to where they are bearing the load.

When I got my boat second hand, one of the rollers was taking too much load and was smashing the F/G on the keel. Didn't have a clue how you fixed it. Mr Worthy of Worthy boats at Huskisson told me the above procedure.
    Seems so obvious now, - wasn't before he told me.

Just remember that if you do not have enough weight being supported by the outer rollers your boat will bounce down until the outer rollers take up some weight.
    This bouncing is actually your cross members flexing which time will cause you serious problems.
    Although if you don't do long trips on Australian roads you will probably never have a problem.
    Shane

Aaron_Fogarty

Lads
    Worst job in the world lying under trailers all day adjusting them for a living.
    Heres what I do:
    1. with center line trailers ensure your transom is supported as much as possible as this is where the bulk of your boat weight is.
    2. The keel of your boat is the strongest part and needs as much support as possible.
    3. loosen center rollers, with a trolley jack and a piece of wood lift the roller until its FIRM on the hull, then tighten bolts
    4. after your keel line is FIRM its a process of working outboard still using the trolley jack.
    5. outer skids and rollers are only used to support and centralise your boat (keep it off the guards)
    6. If you have too much weight on these outer supports you WILL damage your hull on rough roads
    7.Dont just adjust willy nilly if its not level or not right loosen the lot and start again
    Hope this helps
    Aaron

Aaron is spot on. The outer rollers simply stop the rocking from side to side, and should not be weight bearing.
    Have you also checked the weight on your tow ball.?Makes a big difference if the trailer doesnt buck up and down, with too much weight on the rear of the trailer.
    David

drb

But what about trailers without Keel Rollers? For instance the Dunbier style of trailers. http://www.dunbiermarine.com/trailers_wide_track.htm What is everyones opinion on these for glass boats? I have a problem with mine in that the bloomin chines don't allow me to adjust the side rollers properly and the boat has to lay slightly to one side.

Quote Originally Posted by DazB
    But what about trailers without Keel Rollers? For instance the Dunbier style of trailers. http://www.dunbiermarine.com/trailers_wide_track.htm What is everyones opinion on these for glass boats? I have a problem with mine in that the bloomin chines don't allow me to adjust the side rollers properly and the boat has to lay slightly to one side.
    Thanks for posting that. I have been looking for a picture of one of those trailers for an example.
    These trailers solve the problem with the crossmembers flexing so much.
    Shane

Aaron_Fogarty

Great looking trailer,must drive on and off beautifully. However, the handfull of rollers holding your boat either side of your keel line is a concern for rough roads. The addition of some dual 6" keel rollers wouldnt hurt it. On the other hand Dunbier wouldnt sell a product if it was going to damage your boat, so it must be supportive enough. ADVICE check out trailer warranty on new products there making them thinner, cheaper and nastier than ever these days and some dont warrant them offroad.
    cheers
    Aaron