Thread: What type/size anchor?

What type/size anchor?

I am in the process of buying a kayak (yeah yeah, it's not a real boat, I know ) anyone know what would be required to keep it in place? I was thinking of going to BIAS or such and buying the smallest sand anchor they have, any suggestions?

finga64

Re: What type/size anchor?

what about on of those fold up grapnel anchors??
    I have one in the little tinny and works a treat. Whole $10.80
    http://www.biasboating.com.au/anchors.html

Nice one, thanks finga
    Do you use a chain with that?

yes, I use the fold up grapnel and it holds my 2.4m inflatable, so it will certainly hold a yak or canoe....fold up very compact for storage

Don't even think of another type

I have a small tinnie at 3.75 what size is your because those grapel ones are crap in any sort of current or wind I had 4lb sand anchor that would drag in sand in a strong current with 4m of chain and I had to go for a 8lb one. Just my experince but I think it is better to go heaver than lighter

finga64

Quote Originally Posted by Canoedle
    Do you use a chain with that?
    Nope, try without first. If it drifts try with a chain then or go up in size. Not as though your loosing much eh a whole $10.80
    Sounds like a good theory #

yeah, it's not going to take much to hold a kayak, probly a house brick would do gonna go the 10.80 fold up and some 6mm braid line, should be sweet.

Try a large Snapper sinker!!!

Hey Boz, You took my suggestion.

Seriously Make sure the rope is thick enough to not cut you as you pull it up.

Angla

Heading up to BIAS this arvo, I doubt 1.5Kg of anchor is gonna make me cut my hands on 6mm braid, but will discuss it with the staff up there. Thanks guys.