Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project Punt: 3.95m Bermuda Discovery

finga64

Re: Project Punt: 3.95m Bermuda Discovery

Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside when a good job is done by yourself.
    Job done to just what you want, usually to a better standard and a LOT cheaper to boot.
    Keep up the good work

AG,how much has all the welding done cost u so far...??????

MasterDusky,

I got the welding done for $200. I thought that was pretty good as I was quoted $500 from another place. I will be going back to get the live well supports done as well once I get my livewell tank picked up tomorrow.

All up so far it has costed $500 for the floor,carpet welding and bit and pieces.

Chjeers
    Aaron

Have you decided what colour you are going to paint it? You seem to see lots of boats painted white with red or black sides. Mine is all white with a few stickers and looks a bit poxy.

Cheers
    Murray

I only recently put the bimini on, I was sick of getting roasted

Hi Murray,

With my seats being mainly red with a white and grey stripe i was thinking of painting the sides red witha white border and white with black flex inside for the glare. I was also thinking of grey for inside but to many colours the cost climbs.Your boat dosnt look poxy I was going to p[aint all white but thought something a bit different would be nice

I picked up the fiberglass tank this morning and was very hapy with the job done. The tank is gelcoated grey inside and then 3 layers of glass thrown over. I have attached a pic if the tank put in the boat to show where it going to be placed. The tank sits on the original floor supports but soon will also have supports running under the flange/lip of the tank.The flange of the tank closest to the deck will sit under the deck and be pop riveted down.

Once the welding is done i will be able to plumb it and pop rivet down.

Cheers
    Aaron

Here is a pic of the bung recess. I plan to put a divider in the tank. The fiberglassers are working on a new mold with built in devider recess. I plan to use 2 lengths of angle running down each side siliconed in and a pece if perspec or alloy with hole drilled into it. I also plan to run 2 overflow hoses from each side of the tank to each side of the boat. I wont be painting unitl early next year.

Cheers
    Aaron

Hi Aaron

You don't think that by mounting the live well back there you might run into planing problems. I have a plastic 95l tank and I have to but it up to the front seat to be able to get on the plane, and the boat also goes lots faster the futher forward the weight is. This might be a problem because I only have a 9.9Hp Merc but it is something to think about.

Hi Murray,

I hear what you are saying but I mainly plan to use the live well in bass electric comps and because you are under electric power getting up on the plane is not a issue. Also I will be up front with the foot control elec tric.

For general fishing i wont prob use the tank all the time and I am hopng the 25hp will get it up on the plain. I am going to put some polystryrine insulation on the outside of the tank and when not keeping fish alive it can be used as a esky

Cheers
    Aaron

Its looking good...... A question if I may, how were you able to get the nuts on those bolts that hold the rear seat bracket through the thwart ?

I have done a similar thing with a rear cast deck in my tinnie, and am considering the same type of seat as the one in your picture. What has me stumped though is how to get the nuts onto the bolts, as my tinnie has all the flotation under the thwart which kinda makes it hard to get anywhere near the bolts without removing some of the flotation.

Is that bracket for the seat a custom jobby or is it an off the shelf item ?

Regards

Cameron.

Hi Cam,

I have the same problem as you but the bolts are actually self tappers abd self tappered to the thwart seat and has no nuts. I was after some self tapper screw that would flush mount but there was none at Bias. I might have a look at a hardwear store for some.

The seat mount is of the shelf also from Bias. I think it will take some time before the selftappers will loosen or strip out. A nut would be perferred but hard to do.

If you have any more Q dont hesitate to ask.

Took the boat for a blat down to Maroon dam this morning to see how she handles and performs. Top speed was 24knts or 44km/hr and had no prob getting on the plan with 2 aboard and some load. Caught a few bass too, nothing speacial but nice fish also.

The project will slow down now till after christmas as money will be tight for jobs needed to be done. My first traget is to get the live well up and running and also carpet it. I hope to get a electric soon as well once I sell my kayak.

Cheers
    Aaron

Nice job on the boat Aaron.

bidkev

Beautiful looking job Aaron and I'm sure it will be worth all the effort that you're putting into it.

Well done mate.

kev

Hi All,

Done a few small things to the boat in the last few weeks. I have made a small side console that is home to a 4 switch panel and my sounder and gps antenna. I made it out of some ply offcuts from the decks. It has come up realy well and I can swivel the sounder around an view from the front.

I also have wored the boat up for the nav lights and intalled rear anchor light as well. I have gone for the removable polesetup with the 2 pic recepticle. I have also fitted my bilge pump and wiring.

this will keep me happy until this friday when my new electric bow mount turns up I have decided to go big an get a Motorguide 24V 71Lb fresh water bow mount. I have gone for a large unit as the electric comps it is a advantage to get to spots first and when some guys are using 3 electrics to power boat I need some power. I am hoping I can do at least 5km /hr with the 1 motor. the fastest I have sen the boats go is about 6.5km /hr.

I will keep you updated on the electric installation and performance. Cannot wait to get out and fish with the electric.

Cheers
    Aaron

Hi All,

After 2 trips to the coomera last week i have founf a prob with my setup. I had origanally had the gps antenna mounted right next to my sounder. I was getting a gps position but my speed was not being displayed.

I have now added a small side mount and moved the antenna away from the sounder. I beleive I was getting interferance from the head unit. Havent tested thebtheory but hopefully this will solve it.

here is a pic of the mod to the side console.

Cheers
    Aaron