hey Parrotfish

I bought my first boat second hand, and my experience so far has been ok. I found a 4.75 foward steer glass brooker, is a 1986 model so way out of the talk in this column. But it did only cost me $3500 and came with a 60hp johnson. When I was looking I asked a boating mate what to look for, and he said in a second hand motor, look at the paint on the head, if it's there and still origional, then at least you know that major damage has not been done (always exeptions of course).

My motor has the origional paint on the head (is 20 years old), and I have had no major probs, have had it for 1 1/2 years. I think the best bet is to get someone who knows outboards to have a look at any potential buy, or at least tell you what to look for. If it starts first turn and the motors cold, its always a good sign.

I have a lot of fun in this boat, it cruises along pretty good up to 28 knts and I would hardly ever use more than a tank (25ltrs), on trip (6-7 hours). The other benifit is as it's an old shitbox, I'm not to worried about running into docks, walls ect (within reason), which is good while your learning. I drill holes in it, mount things here and there, doesn't really matter.
Having said all that, the trailer it came on is F*cked, so I've had to put a bit of work into that (would've been better off getting a new one)