Thread: best motor

Grey_Ghost

best motor

I am looking for a new boat motor. not shure what type, have a 225 evinrude at the moment 0n a 7.m haines hunter very thirsty and noisey.looking at new E-tec or yamaha , I think E-tec uses more fuel ,does any one run a 225 E-Tec

Regards chris

Re:  best motor

G'Day Chris,

cant comment personally on a 225 ETEC, but I run a 90ETEC and its very good on fuel. I would bet the 225 is similair.

Try contact Waykel on here, he runs a big ETEC and is well pleased with it, even after some initial issues, he says it runs sweet and claims some good figures. I think his may be a 200.

I was amazed with mine, I knew it wasnt going to guzzle it, but it really is so frugal for a 90hp I really dont worry bout fuel at all.

That said yamahas are good on fuel too, just a bit heavier in weight and poss more servicing.

Ron

Hi Chris,
    I have a 200H.O etec on my new bass rig the motor use's 1.1 lph at 450 rpm and 2.2mph at 5800rpm and 73mph it use's 71.2 lph at 4000 rpm it uses 32lph these figures have been taken off the I commander's fuel flow meter fitted to the boat. These figures are for a bass hull and could be different to a heavy hull. I think it comes down to personal choice as to what motor suits you, your the one thats got to cough up the doe-rae-me at the end of the day, not the bloke who tells you to by brand x outboard.
    Cheers Damien
    When the wife said i could get a lab i think she meant a dog.

LABSPORT XT 200H.O. etec

Grey_Ghost

Thanks Ron & Damien
    I have read a lot of reports about the E-tec but fuel consumption for a big boat does not sound so good and not sure about how quiet it is
    Have a friend with a 225 yamaha 4 stroke beautifull motor but does not seem to have the same power as my old 225 2 stroke

chris

bassfanatic5, crikey they're big figures at 5800rpm, you'd have your hat on backwards at 73mph.
    There wouldn't be much hull in the water at that speed. They are serious performance results for a fishing boat!
    Where will you be fishing, I'd like to know what it was that just went past in a blurr.
    regards

Chris,

I agree, I doubt the yammie would have quite the grunt, but a good engine none the less. Just about any engine especially 2 strokes will use a lot at WOT, but considerable savings are there for a small trim back in throttle for not a great loss in speed.

Damiens boat at 73mph is shocking on fuel, but you would realistically only do that speed for a short burst, but the adrenalin buzz from it is probably worth it!!

WOT is always going to be an expensive excercise, I'd be doing my shopping looking at midrange cruising consumptions, as thats where you'll be mostly.

Ron

Re: #best motor

Chris,
    # I hope to get the boat back on the water this weekend as i have a new prop to play with i will be getting more fuel figgures from accross the rev range now that i have the speed thing out of the way. # #As for noise the H.O is very quiet, on the dam last weekend we were idleing around looking for schooled fish and you could here a little yammie 2stroke 15hp idleing around a bend 40metres away and at 3500rpm you can still hold a coversation without raising your voice. #After that the wind noise takes over and your flat out hearing a thing. I will give you some more fuel figures as soon as i get back from somerset on sunday.
    #
    # #

Gelsic,
    Have a scroll back a couple of pages to the Labsport XT thread and you can see that speed is what they tell me this boat is about.

Cheers Damien
    When the wife said i could get a lab i think she meant a dog.

LABSPORT XT 200H.O. etec

Hey, have a read here http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/port...opDefault.aspx that's a review of the 200hp HO E-tec, a derated 225hp and it also gets compared to an Optimax 200hp here. Also a review of the honda 225hp Vtec is here http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/port...opDefault.aspx. If you compare the E-tec's fuel usage to the Honda, even though the Honda is a 225hp, and E-tec is a 200hp, the Honda has the edge for fuel economy 2000rpm and over, at DST the honda trolls at 8km/h and the E-tec at 3.7km/h but the Honda is only using 0.1L/hr more fuel. At cruising revs you will notice that the Honda is far more efficient than the E-tec and it is not lacking in the power department either. The Honda is pushing more weight in the test, 2050kg and a 6.8m hull but the E-tec is pushing 1700kg and a 6.9m hull. I hope this information is helpful to you. Cheers, Joey.

Grey_Ghost

thanks guys