Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POLYCRAFT TALK

POLYCRAFT TALK

I think it is about time that this site has some topics specific to Boat-Type owers. So I'm starting Polycraft Talk.....the topic with stork or stalk........what ever you choose.
    Friday I got a Frontrunner 455 with a 50 4 stroke Suzuki on the back. Well...........the kids have christened it the bathtub...well why not?
    I got out of a 4.2 Bluefin open into this one, after months of thought and research and I'm glad I did. I have read that these are comfortabe hulls for what would be considered on the smaller size but this boat (price/size) is outstanding.

Ok you don't get the finnish of paint or glass but then I don't have to worry about the odd knock either.

Suzuki..........filled the 70 litre tank on Friday arvo (this is not bullshit)...put her into the water at Morningside and did the first 2 hours..from idle to up and down the rev range...today we put her back in and did at least 2.30 hours up to 5000rpm...up to Bulimba and out to the end of Fishermans Isalnds did a bit of chucking softies about and then back to Morningside. One the way home we were thinking the gas gauge was a bit dodgy and decided to fill her at the same Caltex as we did on Friday. $3.59 is cost at $1.15 a litre. We measured the distances on Google and came up with 50k.

To my calculations this thing is running on less than a doller an hour. What say you all. Quiet and the ride is dry and comfortable with two up. AND THE SUZI HAS 5 YEARS WARRANTY.

the same boat from Stace or Quintrex might be about........what K$8 more? but what would I have gotten for that $8000? Gotta go> come back with your comments

Re: POLYCRAFT TALK

Sounds like you love your new pride & joy.

Join http://www.polyboatowners.com/forum/ to talk with like minded people

I have a 4.55 frontrunner with a 60 E-Tech and could not be happier.

I hope to pickup my new 5.3 cuddy with a 115 suzuki next week, it's been about a 14 week wait though.

Mate if that fuel use is accurate that is incredible.Put a big smile on the dial.

Thanks for the tip Pet. That site takes ages to get the nod to logon though but it looks interesting and I have a few questions that I might get honest questions to. Cheers, RR

RE THE FUEL USAGE: I'm going out again tomorrow, I'll fill her up on the way homa and post the results.

I considered the Evinrude ETECH and (be it right or wrong) felt that the sales people ( 2 brisbane dealers) tended to put down the opposition and up played the servicing period of 300 hundred hours or a very long period. Both indicated to me that I would not have to "lift the bonnet" for 3 years? and sniffed at the Suzi 5 year warranty.

On another scale, with the demise of Johnson (no more 2 strokes and Suzuki pulling out of their supply chain) (the gone bust rumour has to have some substance) Bombardier are left with a single outboard which really is a 2 stroke. This is their only outboard option? along with a limited dealership, a motor that requires a system analsys server for service (every 300 hours?)

Anyway that's why I opted out of the Etech (without malice)

Hey Rat,

Not to discourage you, but i'm sure your breather system on your fuel tank is not working properly, making it hard to fuel. I know of two Poly's straight out of the factory which have had this problem. Up comes the floor and sort out the breather pipes, make sure theres no kinks!

Sparky, I just picked up my new 5.3 Bowrider. 115 Suzuki fitted this weekend and bimini Monday, hitting the water by Wednesday with run-in due to be finished before the end of the week. I will let you know how it goes!

Regards

Darren

TIM-DONSELAAR

i have a tiller steer 4.1 poly open boat with a 30 hp 2 stroke electric start tohatsu,its a great boat but im thinking i might upgrade to a 4.55 frontrunner with a 50hp honda 4 stroke very soon,i just want a bit more comfort (polycraft padded seats) and forward/reverse control and trim and tilt would be great ohhh and a nice quite engine with great fuel economy.

go the poly's #

cheers tim

MORE ON THE FUEL USAGE.
    Launched this morning at 8am (Colmslie) and got back to the ramp at 10.45a. Filled her up again on the way home and she took 10 litres, so this trip at 4200 to 4800 rpm constant makes 4 litres an hour. So the earlier reeding must have been due to the first two hours of the run in. Still pretty good in my book any one got readings on 4/50 Suzi's so I can compare.

Kiiks in the fuel lines...thanks for that info...instead of taking it back I'll lift the carpet and floor and take asquiz. Probably be a bit of crap under it as well...I flushed the under floor from front to back and washed out a small bung as well as bits and pieces of small polly.

I still can't come to grips with the rid, it's a knock out.

(Not to discourage you, but i'm sure your breather system on your fuel tank is not working properly, making it hard to fuel. I know of two Poly's straight out of the factory which have had this problem. Up comes the floor and sort out the breather pipes, make sure theres no kinks!)

On the breather pipe, if fuel comes out of it when the tank is filled, would that be an indication that the line is ok?

Thanks for your advise...The Rat

DRAIN HOLES: Pirate Pete....At the front of the 455 Frontrunner this is a large hatch cover. It kind of seals by way of a channel under the cover. Should the bottom of the channel have drain holes? Mine fill with water when washing or rain and I had to spnger it out. I figure there ought to be holes as it won't make and difference the water is in the boat,,,may as well keep it in the same place.

An advice?

I love my poly .... plain aand simple the 5.30 OTTO BIN rules!

I like em so much I have 2!

Cheers,
    Tony

and the funnest little boat in the world....
    Cheers,
    Tony