Page 1 of 43 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: White Ants in the Play-Pen

Figjamm

White Ants in the Play-Pen

A couple of members suggested I post about our white ant infestation here, then give some progress reports as time goes on. So here we go with report #1.

Play-Pen is a Seafarer Ventura 17, and we've owned her for about 3 years. When Ross first brought her home I doubted whether she'd ever be seaworthy, but a new transom and some TLC saw her in the water for Easter 2003.

During a few early camping trips we carried fire wood (& timber tarp poles #[smiley=shocked2.gif] ) in her. As time went on the tarp poles were replaced with metal ones and the carrying of fire wood ceased when our young fella got a tinnie. White ant tracks were later noticed under the bunks in the cabin from time to time. On each occasion the tracks were removed and the boat interior sprayed with pesticide. A nest was never found, but as time went on it became apparent that there had to be one somewhere.

Someone had mentioned that white ants don't like salt water so during our recent camping trip (Crusoe Is, 30th Dec 2005 - 7th Jan 2006) Ross removed the bungs and sank her to floor level for a couple of hours, hoping to drown the suckers that had began to invade the floor or at least flush them out before they got into the stringers. #

A week later when she was pulled out of the shed, there were hundreds of the critters crawling all over the carpet. #

Yesterday, the fuel tank, seats and bunk cushions were removed, carpet ripped up and some inspection holes cut out.

[img]
    http://au.geocities.com/bevb2us/Play...ants_floor.jpg
    [/img]

And this is what we saw! #[smiley=shocked2.gif] #[smiley=shocked2.gif]

[img]
    http://au.geocities.com/bevb2us/PlayPen/termites_portside.jpg[/img]

It left Ross wondering what to do next #

He rang a mate who had worked in the pest industry. The mate thought they'd be a drywood termite as the more common termites (white ants) need contact with soil and moisture. Then added "If they are a particular breed of drywood termite the boat will have to be wrapped and fumigated before any further work takes place."

Searching the web I found this on the qld dpi website - The West Indian drywood termite is a notifiable disease under the Diseases in Timber Act. Necessary treatment of this termite is presently undertaken and supervised by the government, without cost to the householder. Tent fumigation of buildings is used to eradicate this pest (Figures 4 and 5). http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/forestry/5026.html

Great!! Well at least it was gonna be free #

Re: White Ants in the Play-Pen

OOO no,
    It left Ross wondering what to do next; bet that was a few describing words then maybe a beer hey.
    Bev top report keep em comin hey. Hope it's not to bad guys.

Brett
    It's FULLY SIC man

Figjamm

Report #2

Today (17th January), our pesty mate arrived mid morning, with another mate of his who is an official pest inspector. Preliminary diagnosis is common household termite (white ant).... but before we could breath a total sigh of relief.... he collected some samples to take away for further analysis. Because the boat is washed out well with fresh water after each boating trip he believes the ants have had enough moisture to survive all this time.

He did say to proceed with removing the timber, but to keep it all inside the boat until he is positive they are the common white ants. #So Ross was back at it soon after he got home from work... and this is what he found. #

Then over a few beers Ross sought a 2nd opinion.... from a mate who just happens to be a fibreglasser #

Ross took himself off to bed without any dinner.... says he feels too sick to eat #

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by Brejen
    OOO no,
    It left Ross wondering what to do next; bet that was a few describing words then maybe a beer hey.
    Bev top report keep em comin hey. Hope it's not to bad guys.
    Brett.... I didn't hear a thing I think I should keep the beer fridge well stocked for awhile ;-)

The worst scenerio will be replacing the stringers if they've gone that far. We're considering replacing them anyway, even if they appear to be untouched.

Mad_Barry

I'd be put off my dinner too, pass on my sentiments

Well written post though , look forward to seeing what transpires.

bloody hell - that's something I didn't think of. Now we've got to get our boats sprayed along with the house.

Do the whiteants only eat certain types of timber under glass? will they eat laminated glass for examlpe

if you are going to replace the stringers, go hollow fibaglass channels. Mine ended up being 10mm thick and still only 1/3 of the weight of timber and no more rot problems ever. mine were formed on a mould with a 600g matt- 600g woven roven- 600g matt. this process was completed 2 more times as they were layed up in the boat.
    bummer with the ants
    cheers
    blaze

great post Bev , bet this is something that not many people had thought of.
    hope it works out for ya's.

cheers
    jason
    ... i only work to support my fishing addiction.....

Damn....not good . Found some termites when working in the garden a few weeks back and so got in the 'Professionals" to inspect the house for $250. He cleared the whole house as free of them and went on his way. The next day I went back to further inspect the area I showed him that showed signs of activity. Peeling back a small section of wood panel from the wall showed a BIG nest of the buggers >.
    Well decided to call Mick B's business a call and had them out today. Very pleased....$1000 cheaper and much more detailed plan. Little pricks of things they are but oh well....at least they haven't touched the boat yet?? I hope??? .
    Thanx for the heads up about firewood. Think I'll be having a bonfire next party .
    Cheers, Jay

we've found a section about 50cm of flashing (trim) eaten in our bedroom. Getting the pest guy out tomorrow. crossing fingers

Holy crap, batman...

at least they don't eat fibreglass, I s'pose..

Ross, don't be sad, get ANGRY!!!

Squash each and every one of the little b*****ds

Thanks for the report.

Harry...

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by blaze
    if you are going to replace the stringers, go hollow fibaglass channels. Mine ended up being 10mm thick and still only 1/3 of the weight of timber and no more rot problems ever. mine were formed on a mould with a 600g matt- 600g woven roven- 600g matt. this process was completed 2 more times as they were layed up in the boat.
    bummer with the ants
    Thanks for the info blaze. When I mentioned this to Ross he said that it had passed through his mind as he'd seen them done like that when he worked at Smuggler Boats years ago.... but the mate who has offered his assistance with the fibreglassing is keen to go with timber again, and we don't mind a little weight as the old Seafarer was a comfy ride how she was.

But then, if we go lighter on the stringers we could have an extra fuel tank for longer trips.... a water bladder for the new deck wash.... maybe even a loo #

Decisions, decisions... I guess we've got a few of them ahead of us now.

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by cooky
    bloody hell - that's something I didn't think of. #Now we've got to get our boats sprayed along with the house.

Do the whiteants only eat certain types of timber under glass? #will they eat laminated glass for examlpe
    That would be a good question to ask when you get your house inspected tomorrow. #Fingers crossed, that your inspection goes well.

From what I've been reading, timbers vary in their susceptibility to attack, but those that are susceptible include both soft and hardwoods. And they're not real fussy as they'll also happily munch their way through cardboard and paper, even the paper surface of plasterboard.

The one thing they do need is moisture, so make sure you dry your boat out well after you clean it.

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by longtail
    great post Bev , bet this is something that not many people had thought of.
    hope it works out for ya's.
    Thanks Jason # #BTW, I like your new towing vehicle #

And while I'm here....

Dicko, thanks for your sentiments, they're much appreciated #

Jay, I'm glad Mick B got your house sorted... that so called 'Professional' who gave your house the "all clear" needs a kick up the a**e or worse #[smiley=rifle.gif]

Harry O, you'll be pleased to hear we squashed a few.... then gave the rest a private cremation [smiley=angryfire.gif] #

Figjamm

Report #3

18th January - Another day and Ross is in attack mode!!

[img]
    http://au.geocities.com/bevb2us/Play...ndChainsaw.jpg
    [/img]

Well, Mr. Chainsaw made short work of that!

Just kidding :-)

After we'd made a trip to the hardware to stock up on cutting & sanding discs, a diamond blade and disposable overalls.... oh yeah, and the holesaw set he spotted next to the cash register just as I was about to pay .... it was time to start carving up the cabin.

[img]
    http://au.geocities.com/bevb2us/Play...ts_cabin01.jpg
    [/img]

Not much to see in the V, just some dry mud.

[img]
    http://au.geocities.com/bevb2us/Play...nts_frontV.jpg
    [/img]

Cleaned out the main nest.... the queen is still on the WANTED list!

[img]
    http://au.geocities.com/bevb2us/Play...nts_sternV.jpg
    [/img]

There's not as much ant damage port side..... but what's this?

[img]
    http://au.geocities.com/bevb2us/Play...nkPortside.jpg
    [/img]

Yep, the sealed compartment under the port side bunk was clear of ant trails, but it was full of twenty year old rubbish! # #Old fishing line, rope, the end of a fishing rod, plastic bags, Samboy chip packet and some sheila's garter!!! #

Ross gets a well earned beer to wash the dust out of his throat

[img]
    http://au.geocities.com/bevb2us/Play...ingABreak2.jpg
    [/img]

The little blighters have used the bulkhead as their personal passage way #>

[img]
    http://au.geocities.com/bevb2us/Play...s_bulkhead.jpg
    [/img]

That's all for today folks #

[img]
    http://au.geocities.com/bevb2us/Play...ts_cabin02.jpg
    [/img]

It's been confirmed.... we're definitely replacing the stringers.