Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: White Ants in the Play-Pen

Figjamm

Re: White Ants in the Play-Pen

Report #17

1st February

The winch U bolt and block were removed, then Ross got to dirty the hull...

... and I got to clean up after him!

Hmmm... I better redo that in the morning and get rid of those dust lines #

Under the well doesn't look much different to me, but Ross tells me otherwise!

Cut some fiberglass matt ready to lay where the new stringers will go...

and measured out the first 20lts of resin.

Looks like we'll be busy tomorrow #

Figjamm

Report #18

After 18 days of pulling Play-Pen apart it's finally time to start rebuilding her #

I got the easy job of passing the fibreglass matt, while Ross put a double layer of glass and resin along the starboard planing straights

Rolling in the resin.... it's a smelly job, and nearly as boring as grinding, but at least there's no dust! #

Strengthened the bow with a couple of layers and patched a small fracture

There's still a long way to go.... but this feels good #

i'm waiting guys

Quote Originally Posted by blaze
    i'm waiting guys
    This is a great thread and it's a shame i now have to wait every day for an update. When I first found it at 4 or 5 pages I was occupied for 30 mins reading. Have to wait again, cant you guys work 24 hours a day so I can have sonething to read.

Good work keep it up

Steve

Bev/ross have been reading your adventure with interest as i have recently found a 15 ft 1/2 cab that needs a similar refit (no ants just rotted stringers) i have found your insight/experiences most helpful (& entertaining) the pictures are really worth a 1000 words. I've never glass or refitted a boat before so I'am sure any words of wisdom will help no end. keep the reports comming & best of luck.

ps was told an old wives tale about ridding oneself from the dreaded f/glass itchy ,, it was to go for a swim in the sea and rub sand on the itchy skin. havent tried it myself but probably will when the time comes.

Regards BigE

Thanks for posting this thread, I am watching this everyday also. I can't wait to see what's next. Its like a TV series, there's just enough to keep the interest and enough to make you wonder what's next.
    I love this site, I reckon that someone with some publishing nouse could take a hell of a lot of info from here and write a handyman's gide to boating and fishing.
    This thread is right up there with the buffalo thread, blaze's rebuild, the streaker longboat "photo story", the reading sounders thread and too many more to mention.
    I wouldn't be too surprised to see something like this in BnB one day much info is gleaned from this site for that mag.

Keep it up!
    Any fishing is good fishing (should probably say Any fishing is...probably going to be illegal soon)

bidkev

Told ya the blokes here would enjoy it...........*and*......you'd get to use that camera more Now put a couple of those filters on and do some arty farty stuff

kev

PS............I've got a big ham..........will that tear him away?

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom.

Figjamm

Some major snippage here for effect.... there's a couple I will get back to in more detail later, when time permits.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze
    i'm waiting guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerve
    This is a great thread and it's a shame i now have to wait every day for an update..... cant you guys work 24 hours a day
    Quote Originally Posted by bigE
    Bev/ross have been reading your adventure with interest
    Quote Originally Posted by nonibbles
    Thanks for posting this thread, I am watching this everyday also. #I can't wait to see what's next. #Its like a TV series, there's just enough to keep the interest and enough to make you wonder what's next.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtin
    Told ya the blokes here would enjoy it......
    Holy smoke Kev, I think we've created a monster #

<using the modify button here, because I meant to add earlier>

[smiley=dankk2.gif] for all your encouragement you guys #

.....*and*......you'd get to use that camera more Now put a couple of those filters on and do some arty farty stuff
    The only filter I'm using is the screw on skylight.... there's no way I'm letting any of that dust get on my lens!

Mmmm, baked ham.... <mouth waters at the thought>.... NO.... no time.... can't stop.... we've got viewers to please!! #

How true is that! #

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by ColacGirl
    <snip>

Mmmm, baked ham.... <mouth waters at the thought>.... NO.... no time.... can't stop.... we've got viewers to please!! #

How true it that! #
    Seeya Sat evening then, and why do you think I *never* service my reels?

kev

History repeats itself, but each time the price goes up.

Far more humor in this rebuild than mine (ATM) see how the humor goes as time goes. Its a credit to any one that does a DY project wether it be an esky or tinny fit out there is always room for the most experienced people to learn some new skills. Love ya work to date, but oh for some nice BIG glass stringers (whats it going take to convince you, short of coming and building for you LOL)
    pics are 100% on my camera work to
    cheers
    blaze

bidkev

Blaze, it's really nice of you mate to take time to view how other folk do things and offer advice. Good on yer. I know you've got your work cut out sorting your own rig so that means so much more to see you finding time for others.

It's times like these when you see the camaraderie here, that you wish the world could take a lesson from it. Cheers mate. It's things like this that make my day.

kev

He who receives a good turn should never forget it; he who does one should never remember it.

Well Bev I reckon you should publish a book or make a movie on this project think of all the $$$$$$ you could make.
    Then Ross would be able to go and buy an even bigger boat and maybe you could do a documentry on his fishing trip
    Keep up the good work and look forward to meeting you guy's

Cheers Phil
    Grow old disgracefully

As other's have said... this is fantastic story. Very few here would be capable or brave enough to take on such a project. My hat's off to Ross and Bev.

Keep the reports coming and I hope you can both take support and encouragement from your Ausfish friends. We're all looking forward to seeing your brand-new Seafarer on the water soon.

Chris.

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by Swerve
    This is a great thread and it's a shame i now have to wait every day for an update. When I first found it at 4 or 5 pages I was occupied for 30 mins reading. Have to wait again, cant you guys work 24 hours a day so I can have sonething to read. #
    Sorry Steve, no can do. Gotta keep working so we can fund this renovation

Truely inspirational!!

I rekon when you finally finish, beer will taste better and fish will fight harder but that won't be a patch on the smile you'll be wearing evertime you take her out. Hats off I say!

Reading this I was thinking that pehaps a name change was in order....."PRIDE AND JOY"..nah!!...."PLAY PEN II"...nah!!....it just wouldn't be right "PLAY PEN" works for me....but hey its not my decision.

Keep up the great work and keep the posts coming.

Cheers,

Dean.