Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: White Ants in the Play-Pen

Figjamm

Re: White Ants in the Play-Pen

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_till_late
    The biggest job ive done is patch up holes in my tinny with sicoflex #
    Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy is also good for that. From memory Loctite have something similar in their range.

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin
    [quote author=ColacGirl link=1137501549/90#102 date=1138654908][quote author=longtail link=1137501549/90#95 date=1138601707]
    not long now and you'll be back on the water
    I hope so.... I'm missing my feeds of crab
    [/quote]

Well get Ross to empty out his jocks then
    [/quote]

No good, they're all undersized!!

Might have to set some traps in the dam and see if I can get a feed of yabbies

Figjamm

Report #16

31 January

No physical progress on Play-Pen.... unless you count the termite activity. Yes we still have some live ones # [smiley=shocked2.gif]

We noticed them when our fibreglasser mate called in after work to check our progress. There were a few crawling around near the cuts Ross had put in the transom #>

I followed a trail of them to the bow.... they've been hiding in the block that holds the winch U bolt

Ross gave them an acetone bath [smiley=bath.gif] and they will receive an eviction notice within 24 hrs.

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by blaze
    They must different resins because mine didnt look as clean as yours and it wouldnt have mattered if I had grinded it right away. could also be better lighting in your shed.
    Different brands/formulas will produce different colours. Our deck is a different colour to the hull.

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by ColacGirl
    [quote author=kingtin link=1137501549/90#104 date=1138698200][quote author=ColacGirl link=1137501549/90#102 date=1138654908][quote author=longtail link=1137501549/90#95 date=1138601707]
    not long now and you'll be back on the water
    I hope so.... I'm missing my feeds of crab
    [/quote]

[/quote]

No good, they're all undersized!! #

[/quote]

That figures. They grow to match their environment

kev

Our marriage was a love match pure and simple; she was pure and I was simple.

There were a few crawling around near the cuts Ross had put in the transom # #

I followed a trail of them to the bow.... they've been hiding in the block that holds the winch U bolt
    I hope they don't get into the transom through the inspection cuts!

(BTW, how do you get the quotes to include who said them at the top? I can't seem to figure that one out.)

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by drevil
    There were a few crawling around near the cuts Ross had put in the transom # #
    I hope they don't get into the transom through the inspection cuts!
    So do we... but if it needs to be replaced it will be. If not, it will be injected with termicide.

(BTW, how do you get the quotes to include who said them at the top? #I can't seem to figure that one out.)
    Use the quote button in the message you'd like to quote.
    Leave all the stuff that's written inside these [ ] at the top, for example to quote you I left all this "quote author=drevil link=1137501549/105#110 date=1138744163" inside the [ ].
    I then copied and pasted it to quote you a second time.

Hope this helps

Man they are determined little s**t's aren't they. I hope you can finally get them all. I look forward to reading your post everyday as they are really great. Keep up the great work guys

Cheers Phil
    Grow old disgracefully

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin
    [quote author=ColacGirl link=1137501549/105#106 date=1138703506][quote author=kingtin link=1137501549/90#104 date=1138698200][quote author=ColacGirl link=1137501549/90#102 date=1138654908]
    .... I'm missing my feeds of crab
    [/quote]
    No good, they're all undersized!! #

[/quote]
    That figures. They grow to match their environment #
    [/quote]

Will you behave.... my family's reading this and they all think I'm a good girl

Hope this helps #

Hey, I got it. Thanks heaps.

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-One
    Man they are determined little s**t's aren't they.
    Absolutely! And getting braver... they were tromping back and forth without their usual undercover walkways.

We'd left the shed shut all day, so it would have been fairly dark.... they must have felt safe.

I hope you can finally get them all.
    We won't stop until we have. We had hoped to leave any timber in the top half of the cabin until after the floor was in (to help maintain shape)... but the U bolt block will have to go.

I look forward to reading your post everyday as they are really great.
    Thanks Phil

Figjamm

[quote author=ColacGirl link=1137501549/105#111 date=1138747200]
    Hope this helps #
    Hey, I got it. Thanks heaps. # [/quote]

No worries # #I wish termites were that easy to fix #

bidkev

[
    Will you behave.... my family's reading this and they all think I'm a good girl # #

You are my dear, you are.

kev

A hole is nothing at all, but you can break your neck in it.

Hi guys,
    Does the presence of ants, still in your boat indicate that the queen is still there or not ?I was always under the impression if you get rid of the queen its then game over for the little so and so,s

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by 5cougarsthanx
    Does the presence of ants, still in your boat indicate that the queen is still there or not ?I was always under the impression if you get rid of the queen its then game over for the little so and so's
    In a colony there is one main queen (who can live up to 20 years!), then there may also be several supplementary queens, which can take over egg production from the primary queen when she dies.

Our colony has been destroyed so we are only dealing with those that were away from the main nest. From what I have read, isolated termites can survive for several weeks. They need moisture, and their moisture source is running out fast #

We did not actually lay eyes on our queen, but the mating chamber should have been in the main nest somewhere. At first we were sifting through the nest looking for her.... but the novelty of that wore off fast after we realised the little mongrels give a good bite!