Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: White Ants in the Play-Pen

Re: White Ants in the Play-Pen

starting to fret now! i found a heap of black ants in my boat! the more i spray them and kill them they are back the next day again! i stuck a hose up the bottom under floor bung of mine and gave it a squirt! out came some moist timber or hard dirt! dont know! but dont like the looks of it!

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by shano
    starting to fret now! i found a heap of black ants in my boat! the more i spray them and kill them they are back the next day again! i stuck a hose up the bottom under floor bung of mine and gave it a squirt! out came some moist timber or hard dirt! dont know! but dont like the looks of it!
    Don't panic yet... try to find out why they are there. #What is their food source? Some ants prefer sweet foods, while other species prefer insects and other sources of animal protein and fat.

One bonus, black ants don't eat timber # #but they will infest timber which is already damaged and decayed, so you should check under your floor. If your boat doesn't have inspection hatches, then perhaps it's a good time to put some in. According to Whitworths latest catalogue these start at #$12.90 for ones with an internal diameter 115mm (4.5").

More info - Ants in Timber in Queensland -
    http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/forestry/5015.html

hmmm! i think they like to get up out of the weather , hence my boat!

Figjamm

Report #14

What a great way to spend a Sunday.... 8 hours of grinding with caffeine fixes administered hourly and later half hourly XXXX's.... then Ross announced that this boring part is nearly done.... YIPPEE #

I'm getting worried though as he reckons it's pretty comfy and wonders whether we can just leave it like this!! #

Dream on dear #

what a feeling, going great guys.
    always reckon the cleaning up was the worst (this is one part of the job I paid someone to do 90% of for me)
    Looking real good
    Any more news on the transom?
    cheers
    blaze

slowly getting there!!

looks good , not long now and you'll be back on the water

jason
    ... i only work to support my fishing addiction.....

Colacgirl

i have nothing but admiration for you and yours

not only are you doing something that you will benefit from...you are teaching others what can be done with some care and attention.

the reports are like watching an epic story of care and love for something that brings joy and happiness to you...and in doing that you make others feel warm and fuzzy by your words

not only has your story so far encouraged me...and i'm sure 0thers...it also teaches a valuable lesson that people can achieve things that others would think too hard

the old values are there for all to see...and i for one believe that there is too much emphasis on the quick and easy solutions these days.

you have inspired me to think outside the usual circle...and for that i thank you.

(i have seen an ole hull sitting forlon ..maybe i can rescue it)

ty and keep up the good work

Well done, the boat looks great The biggest job ive done is patch up holes in my tinny with sicoflex keep it up and the boat will be even better than it was before
    well done

jono

Good on ya Rosco and Bev the reports are top shelf keep em comin hey, am really enjoying following the progress. Great shot the last one and just what Ross should be doing. Keep it up guys!!

Brett
    It's FULLY SIC man

Figjamm

Report #15

This is how Play-Pen looked after getting Ross and his empties out of her last night

Then it was time to hit her with the water pressure cleaner to remove any lose fibres and give a clearer idea of how much grinding there is left to do.

24 hrs later.... she's had time to dry out and it's decided she's looking pretty good

More grinding is needed under the well

but it didn't happen today as Ross declared it an Itch Free Day

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by blaze
    what a feeling, going great guys.
    always reckon the cleaning up was the worst (this is one part of the job I paid someone to do 90% of for me)
    You dirty rotten cheater!!!

<Ross says "Smart move blaze">

Any more news on the transom?
    Ross has cut into it a couple of times near the bungs.... it's looking good

thats a relief on the transom, tell ross when ya pay someone to do things, its never as good as you would like it done. He did a good job but I had to do the hard spots (like under the well) and a final finish. They must different resins because mine didnt look as clean as yours and it wouldnt have mattered if I had grinded it right away. could also be better lighting in your shed.
    cheers
    blaze

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by longtail

looks good, not long now and you'll be back on the water
    I hope so.... I'm missing my feeds of crab

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by thumps
    i have nothing but admiration for you and yours

<snipped warm and fuzzy stuff>

you have inspired me to think outside the usual circle...and for that i thank you.

(i have seen an ole hull sitting forlon ..maybe i can rescue it)
    Gosh Thumps, that was a very moving post, and we thank you for your kind words and support.

We didn't set out to encourage and inspire others, but if sharing our story is doing that, then that is a bonus #

If you think you and Juicyfruit can handle the rescue of an old forlorn hull.... then all we do is encourage you to GO FOR IT #

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by ColacGirl
    [quote author=longtail link=1137501549/90#95 date=1138601707]

looks good, not long now and you'll be back on the water
    I hope so.... I'm missing my feeds of crab

[/quote]

Well get Ross to empty out his jocks then

kev

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by
    your inferiors.