Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: White Ants in the Play-Pen

Figjamm

Re: White Ants in the Play-Pen

Quote Originally Posted by blaze
    I dont know wether I would ever enjoy working with glass, I derive a great deal of pleasure from seeing a plan come together, I have got and still do get very frustrated when I pay someone to do something that I should be doing myself but at times because of either time restraints or other reason I have palmed the work out, always seem to redo at least part of it.
    You sound like someone I know.... and that someone recognised these traits as I read this to him this morning

Thanks for sharing your joyous, and not so joyous moments. We have a long way to go, but we do own it, will have an "as new" vessel and will still owe nothing on it.

We will definitely be keeping her for quite awhile after all this so are re-doing the gelcoat rather than the original plan of painting.

Enjoy your maiden voyage this weekend

--
    Bev

Figjamm

go the 600mm full hull pod

You men are all tarred with the same brush! Rang my brother earlier to fill him in on our termite invasion and let him know we definitely won't be seeing him in Karumba mid year..... and he said "let him add the pod!!"

noluck

Colac
    mate this is whan u say: you would't read about it #
    mate wish u good luck with #ants war #and one more good thing having aloy boat #
    no_luck

talking to an ex pro today and it has and still is with some old salties to use a slow combustion (woodfired) stove for heating and cooking down this way, he was talking about normal little black ants (pissants) that he had on his wooden boat, took him 2 years to get rit of them. Imagine termites on a wooden boat.
    cheers
    blaze

I suppose thats where alluminium boats win

very sorry ---what a mess these little critters can do--- did they weaken all the timber or just ate the glue--- Mine ate all the glue between plaster and the top paper in the house ( not all) but that is what they fancied....

Ahoj

Figjamm

Report # 9 # #

24th January

I went into the shed at 6:30 this morning and found another fresh mud track! #>

Ross was late home from work, then a delivery of supplies arrived.

A few beers were drank, visions shared and a plan of attack discussed.... but no physical progress on the boat.

Feels like a wasted day, but I guess there'll be days like this.

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by ahoj
    I suppose thats where alluminium boats win
    That's definitely one benefit.

did they weaken all the timber or just ate the glue--- Mine ate all the glue between plaster and the top paper in the house ( not all) but that is what they fancied....
    Ours fancied timber, for some reason their preference was the starboard side of the boat.

--
    Bev

Figjamm

Imagine termites on a wooden boat.
    That doesn't bare thinking about!

Did you know that black ants eat termites (white ants)?

Keep going Ross and Bev you guy's are doing a great job and in the finish atleast you will be able to say we did it and didn't have to pay someone else to do it plus you con be assured it is a top job.Your report is excellent and very informattive...Any idea what the final costs are going to be or don't you even wanna think about that.
    Anyhow keep up the good work

Phil
    Grow old disgracefully

Maybe you will need more supplys
    140kg resin
    20m roven woven
    2 rolls of 600g mat
    23kg of flowcoat
    3kg of qcell
    and the list goes on.
    I have also flow coated under all the deck, layed mat on the underside of the floor, placed all my bulkheads in a bed of qcell (this also works well for nice rounded corners for glassing. My bulkheads are ply encased in glass and flowcoated.
    cheers
    blaze

Go the 600mm full pod
    there is a guy in hobart that makes a bolt on glass pod for $500, dont know of frieght cost but I could get his PH No if you like

Quote Originally Posted by ColacGirl
    [quote author=blaze link=1137501549/60#63 date=1138067119]Imagine termites on a wooden boat.

[/quote]

I have about 4 black ant nests around the house. I will happliy send you a nest. They bite your feet when watering the grass

Steve

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by Swerve
    [quote author=ColacGirl link=1137501549/60#67 date=1138106231][quote author=blaze link=1137501549/60#63 date=1138067119]Imagine termites on a wooden boat.

[/quote]

I have about 4 black ant nests around the house. I will happliy send you a nest. They bite your feet when watering the grass

Steve[/quote]

What are black ants doing, watering your grass?

kev

Hate is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die.

Figjamm

Report #10

25th January

This morning I got to go shopping # Do you like what I bought?

and this afternoon, Ross got to remove more stringers :-)

Termite damage to the port side stringer

3rd stringer gone

Termite damage to the starboard stringer

YAY.... all stringers are gone #

Now Ross gets to do more grinding #

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-One
    Any idea what the final costs are going to be or don't you even wanna think about that.
    I am keeping track of purchases, the total to date is $1133.45 plus 1 angle-grinder and a holesaw set.

Before we can begin rebuilding the inside, I have to pick up 20lts of acetone... then later pay for the resin, as we are only paying for what we use from the 44 gallon drum.

That will fix the termite damage.... then there will be some trimmings to finish it off. Oh yeah, and lots of inspection hatches #

Then we start on the outside #