Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: White Ants in the Play-Pen

Re: White Ants in the Play-Pen

Happy laughter and family voices in the home will keep more kids off the streets at night than the
    strictest curfew.

that is by far the truest one ya put up so far kev
    cheers
    blaze

Figjamm

January 22nd

Report #7

I said there wouldn't be a report today, but The Boss says there will be.... just to show that occasionally we have role reversal where I do some work and he gets to play with the camera #

After he spent a couple of hours grinding it was time to send in Sadie the Cleaning Lady

Hey Ross, My boat is a 17 mt houseboat steel hull and decks but the topsides and internal are timber. Seeing that you will be Ausfishes white-ant.expert.if i ever see one of those white b s i will be in touch. Bob.

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by serene_lady
    Hey Ross, My boat is a 17 mt houseboat steel hull and decks but the topsides and internal are timber. Seeing that you will be Ausfishes white-ant.expert.if i ever see one of those white b #s #i will be in touch. # Bob.
    No worries Bob We both hope that no ausfishers will need our help, but if the occasion does arise we will answer any questions to the best of our knowledge.

--
    Ross & Bev

Hmmm... maybe I need to go for a name change, Ross is definitely not a Colac Girl

I was thinking of your ant problems when I was tarping up and holding the tarp down with FIREWOOD last night to try and keep the weather out, bloody lucky we dont have your ant problem. (removed the wood today cause the thought caused me pain), just one of the many benifects of living in tassie I suppose.
    doing a great job guys, after thought, and you too Kev for moral support
    cheers
    blaze

by the way how big is the boat or in my old age did I miss something

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by blaze
    I was thinking of your ant problems when I was tarping up and holding the tarp down with FIREWOOD last night to try and keep the weather out, bloody lucky we dont have your ant problem. (removed the wood today cause the thought caused me pain), just one of the many benifects of living in tassie I suppose.
    There has to be some benefits to living that far south! But I still wouldn't risk putting any untreated timber near your boat after all your hard work.

doing a great job guys, after thought, and you too Kev for moral support

by the way how big is the boat or in my old age did I miss something
    17 foot (5.2 meters)

After showing him your latest pictures, Ross asked me "how long is his boat?"

And he also said to ask "At what point will he start to enjoy what he's doing?"

My rig is 20' and I reckon I will try for a short run on the weekend, the outside will still be in primer though as I am brushing a coat a day (dries very quick but when putting lots of coats on it can shrink and crack top coat at a later stage)of primer filler on at the moment and I want 5 or 6 coats on so when its sanded back I can apply the top coat (I always brush my primer/filler on to give lots body as it saves a lot of work in finishing)
    scratch scratch
    cheers
    blaze

When will I enjoy it ?
    I dont know wether I would ever enjoy working with glass, I derive a great deal of pleasure from seeing a plan come together, I have got and still do get very frustrated when I pay someone to do something that I should bedoing myself but at times because of either time restraints or other reason I have palmed the work out, always seem to redo at least part of it. In saying that, the guys at CH marine that fared the top deck in and painted it did a good job. ATM I am very sick of doing the boat with budget blowouts, lack of fishing and very little sleep since november but the end is near.
    Back to the question
    Glassed in sringers - felt bloody great at this point, my first glass stringers
    Floor down - some joy here as you think you are getting close (ya soon lose it though as you releasise how far away you really are.
    Wiring elecrics - joy getting close (well not really as you sit in the cab of a boat in sweltering temps for a couple of days)
    Joy when I think I built her (bloody twice), I own it and owe nothing on it.
    would I recomend some one do there own boat, like yourselves yep ever time
    would I do it again, possible if the right hull come up (would like to do a classic timber rebuild though)
    cheers
    blaze
    ps
    Its not all pain

What are ya like with the chainsaw Ross, cut the back off and put a full hull pod on, 600mm extension. make the desion now as the striners will need to be longer
    I DARE YA
    now I am smiling
    cheers
    blaze
    ps
    also 1/3 of the way through a bottle of scotch

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin
    [quote author=ColacGirl link=1137501549/30#43 date=1137922350]

Mr. Chicken, You are henceforth banned from visiting while the iching stuff is happening. # #What are you like at carpentry? #
    Goodoh! Carpentry? Mmmmmmmm? Let me think? Well a certain chap was a carpenter, and the deckie is always telling me that I think I'm God, so I suppose I might be able to whittle a bit of wood.

[/quote]

I don't want a "might".... I want a miracle #

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by blaze
    What are ya like with the chainsaw Ross, cut the back off and put a full hull pod on, 600mm extension. make the desion now as the striners will need to be longer
    I DARE YA
    now I am smiling
    cheers
    blaze
    ps
    also 1/3 of the way through a bottle of scotch
    Grrrr.... that'll be enough out of you!! we just had this conversation about an hour ago, only he was talking a pre-made add on pod and lots of $$'s #>

I will read your messages to him while he sips his pre-work cuppa in the morning.... he who itches and scratches is snoring.

Figjamm

Report #8

Ross and I put Play-Pen on the shed floor.... well, he put her on the floor and I got to cross my fingers, say some prayers and tow the trailer out from under her.... #then started the process of getting her level #

Can you believe this? A fresh mud track straight out of a stringer >

Stringer #1 is removed

The dark brown at the bottom shows how wet the timber has been staying.

Stringer #2 out.... only 3 more to go # but they will have to wait until tomorrow.

Since this photo was taken our young fella has removed all the larger debris.... and I'll give the Sadie another workout in the morning.

I thought that by removing all of the stringers at once you would significantly weaken the structure of the boat and increase the chance of the hull warping and losing some of its shape. I have read articles about replacing the stringers one at a time to ensure that the strength remained and the hull stayed true. Not sure, what do other ausfishers think.

andrew

Hi Youngfisho
    by having the top deck in and well support on the trailer or floor it should not move, the top deck and gunnels should keep them true. Problem arises when the complete top deck is removed
    cheers
    blaze
    go the 600mm full hull pod