Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: White Ants in the Play-Pen

Re: White Ants in the Play-Pen

I'm really enjoying this. Learning heaps. Never done any fibreglass work - except to repair my eskies and the lawn mower catcher (don't ask).
    The pictures are fantastic and I don't think anyone would mind if you included even more detail. eg. I would like more info on the little patch up job and if you have time and don't mind instructions for each step eg. was it simply laying the matting and then rolling over resin? How did you guess how much glass, resin, catalyst, etc you'd require?
    It would be a great reference for future fibreglass work for Ausfish members - these opportunites don't come along that often.

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by bigE
    Bev/ross have been reading your adventure with interest as i have recently found a 15 ft 1/2 cab that needs a similar refit (no ants just rotted stringers)
    No ants? How boring #

I have found your insight/experiences most helpful (& entertaining) the pictures are really worth a 1000 words. I've never glass or refitted a boat before so I'm sure any words of wisdom will help no end.
    Hmmm, pearls of wisdom.... <scratches head>.... ok, I'll give this a go.

Draw a mud map of where things are in your boat already.... write reminder measurements of where the seats, etc. are fitted now if that's where you'd like them to be when you put it back together.

If you're going as far as replacing stringers, double check the transom, as it's much easier to replace it while everything else is out of the boat.

Make friends with a fibreglasser.... NO, not so he can do the job for you!.... so that he can teach you how to use the products and how to roll it properly as this will be the strength of your boat.

The chemicals used in fibreglassing are highly flammable & fumes are toxic. We are doing this in a shed that opens front and rear and we have had an industrial fan running at all times to help disperse dust, and now the fumes.

I'm sure you will find this webpage about fibreglassing materials an interesting read, and it explains the potential dangers far better than I can -
    http://capndsboatshed.com/fiberglassmaterials.htm
    Not trying to frighten you off.... I believe knowledge is a powerful thing.

Remember the old advert, oils ain't oils Sol, well same goes with fibreglass, some brands are of better quality than others. We're using FGI 600GSM matt.... others here may have other recommendations?

Blaze, you can add your knowledge here anytime you're ready #

keep the reports comming & best of luck.
    Thank you, and good luck with your project too #

ps was told an old wives tale about ridding oneself from the dreaded f/glass itchy ,, it was to go for a swim in the sea and rub sand on the itchy skin. havent tried it myself but probably will when the time comes.
    Haven't heard that one before, but will pass it on to the boss #

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by nonibbles
    This thread is right up there with the buffalo thread, blaze's rebuild, the streaker longboat "photo story", the reading sounders thread and too many more to mention.
    Have read a few of those.... feeling rather humble here at the moment [smiley=curtain.gif]

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin
    [quote author=ColacGirl link=1137501549/120#127 date=1138931564]<snip>

PS............I've got a big ham..........will that tear him away?
    Mmmm, baked ham.... <mouth waters at the thought>.... NO.... no time.... can't stop.... we've got viewers to please!! #
    Seeya Sat evening then....[/quote]

[smiley=stare.gif] I told you we're too busy.... <thinks of kev's baked ham> .... ok, ok, we're there! #

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by blaze
    Far more humor in this rebuild than mine (ATM) see how the humor goes as time goes.
    It's a matter of laugh or cry..... so far we have found laughter is the best medicine #

Its a credit to any one that does a DY project wether it be an esky or tinny fit out there is always room for the most experienced people to learn some new skills.
    Absolutely.... learning is a life long experience.

Love ya work to date, but oh for some nice BIG glass stringers (whats it going take to convince you, short of coming and building for you LOL)
    Come on up.... beer, food & 3 star accomodation supplied.... might even throw in a few bottles of JW.

The accomodation is one of the projects that has been moved down the queue thanks to the boat -
    http://au.geocities.com/bevb2us/newhouse.html

pics are 100% on my camera work to
    90% of that is the camera..... thanks for influencing me kev #

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-One
    Well Bev I reckon you should publish a book or make a movie on this project think of all the $$$$$$ you could make.
    Too late, I've put it on here for free

We're looking forward to meeting you too Phil.... better watch yourself though, we may put you to work

Bev a question about the ants ,I have found small black ants in our glass half cab,coming in from an overhanging vine.No mud trails and I have kept the boat clean inside.Should I rip it apart and spend hundreds on a rebuild or just get rid of the vine?
    cheers jon

ps :serious about the black ants though

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by cooky
    I'm really enjoying this. #Learning heaps. #Never done any fibreglass work #- except to repair my eskies and the lawn mower catcher (don't ask). #
    The pictures are fantastic and I don't think anyone would mind if you included even more detail. #eg. #I would like more info on the little patch up job and if you have time and don't mind instructions for each step eg. #was it simply laying the matting and then rolling over resin? #How did you guess how much glass, resin, catalyst, etc you'd require?
    It would be a great reference for future fibreglass work for Ausfish members - these opportunites don't come along that often.
    Ok cooky, here we go -

Step 1: Measured areas to be covered, then doubled this as we wanted 2 layers. #Approx. measurements, the outer planing straights 4mt, inner planing straights 3 mt, bow 1 mt and 2 x fracture repairs 500mm (did a starboard fracture repair that wasn't shown in photos)

Step 2: Cut enough 150mm strips from the roll of matt to do this work. The roll is 1 metre wide, so it was easy to work out how much we needed.

Step 3: Cleaned areas to be worked on with acetone.

Step 4: In a 4lt ice-cream style container, mixed together approx 2.5lts resin and 25ml catalyst. (We used two of these batches to complete the areas shown in the photos of report #18. Second batch was made in a fresh container)

Step 5: Fracture repair - laid piece of matt near where it was to be placed to use it as a guide while brushing the area with the resin/catalyst mixture, added the layer of matt, brushed on more resin mix, rolled it in all directions with a groovy little roller for awhile. Added 2nd layer of matt, more resin mix and rolled it in all directions until Ross was happy all the air bubbles were out of it.

When doing the planing straights 1 length of matt was worked on at a time (as per Step 5), overlapping ends of matt by an inch or so until the full length of the first layer was complete, then added 2nd layer. #

Warning: DO NOT rub eyes, scratch backside, pick nose or light a cigarette while doing this work, or you will suffer dire consequences!

NOW, tell me what happened to the lawn mower catcher #

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser
    <snipped lots of nice stuff>

We're all looking forward to seeing your brand-new Seafarer on the water soon.
    So are we Chris, so are we # # Might have to organise a Play-Pen M&G #

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfish
    Truely inspirational!!

I rekon when you finally finish, beer will taste better and #fish will fight harder but that won't be a patch on the smile you'll be wearing evertime you take her out. Hats off I say!

Reading this I was thinking that pehaps a name change was in order....."PRIDE AND JOY"..nah!!...."PLAY PEN II"...nah!!....it just wouldn't be right "PLAY PEN" works for me....but hey its not my decision.
    The beer will taste better and fish will fight harder? WOW, Ross will be pleased #

We have thought of renaming.... L'il Ant.... .... Ant-Pen.... .... De-Termited.... .... nah, Play-Pen works for us too #

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by familyman
    Bev a question about the ants ,I have #found small black ants in our glass half cab,coming in from an overhanging vine.No mud trails and I have kept the boat clean inside.Should I rip it apart and spend hundreds on a rebuild or just get rid of the vine?

ps :serious about the black ants though
    Ross & I had a lengthy discussion about your ant problem and have come up with a couple of plans for you.

Plan A: Rip her apart, spend lots of $$'s & rebuild! If this plan doesn't suit, go to Plan B.

Plan B:
    Step 1: Drop your half cab down here on a Friday
    Step 2: Go home and get rid of the vines over the weekend
    Step 3: Pick up your half cab on Monday
    In the meantime we'll take her for a spin and blow the cobwebs....[smiley=oops.gif] .... I mean ants right out of her #

Seriously, get rid of the vine (if the vine gets pretty flowers on it you better do this when the lady of the house isn't around!), then spray your boat with your favourite brand of insect killer or put an ant bait trap in there for awhile.

--
    The Clayton's Ant Experts

Hi Bev
    just notice somewhere in the above that you "cut" your matting, if you lay a bit of 2 x 1 pine (or simular) across your matting and "tear" it, you will then end up with a nice beveled in edge and not a sharp edge wwhen you lay up, much nicer fininish.
    Anyway its sad I know, but I will have to leave it with you for the weekend as I am going for an overnighter fishing trip, really sorry about leaving ya in the lurch like this. Hope you have as much fun this weekend as I intend to have.
    cheers
    blaze

dont roll to much as its like concrete and the more ya roll the more the resin will come to the surface which can leave the lower matting layers "dry" with the chance of delaminating later on. Dont do more than 3 layers of mat at a time as it can get "hot" and cause warpage as heated steel does.
    cheers
    blaze

Figjamm

Quote Originally Posted by blaze
    Anyway its sad I know, but I will have to leave it with you for the weekend as I am going for an overnighter fishing trip, really sorry about leaving ya in the lurch like this. Hope you have as much fun this weekend as I intend to have.
    You're going out overnight? Thought you were coming up here to do some glass stringers! Just kidding, you have a wonderful time, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy and maybe even catch a few fish

Thanks for the tips. Re: cutting, Ross & fibreglassing mate have discussed when to cut & when to tear, as in freehand tearing to beef up the inside of the deck so it will blend in nicely.... but your method sounds good, as it would fall somewhere between the two.

Figjamm

Report #19

3 Feb

Found two termites in the hull.... on closer inspection we realised they were dead! YEEHAH, I think we are winning this battle #

The previous days glassing had dried.... doesn't look much different to me, but you guys want the nitty gritty details so here's a pic #

Ross had left early in the morning and got home late... hot, bothered, bad day on the job.... declared it TOO HOT for fibreglassing.... then sat looking at Play-Pen whilst sipping a bourbon or two or three.