Thread: Qld Boat Licence for Birthday Boy

gif

Qld Boat Licence for Birthday Boy

Elliot tuirns 16 on Sunday - so he can get his qld licence now ( allready holds a NSW junior)

Any recommendations of a school near Brisbane?

Any not to recommend? ( better PM)

no blatant plugs please - good reasons will be respected more

with thanks

Gary

Re: Qld Boat Licence for Birthday Boy

I just did mine down at the Cleveland VMR...They were awesome. Full day from 8.00 to 4.30 with a little test at the end...easy as...my grandmother could do the course!!

You even get to go out on the bay in a boat!!! How good is that!!! Any day on the bay is a good day I went through the Australian Boating College www.abcboating.com.au or phone 3841 4570. Alternatively you can just go into a transport department and they will give you a list of approved providers.

Cost...priced around and they all came up around the $140 - $150 then add about $30 for the transport departments stamp of approval.

Hey DAD!!!...can I borrow the boat (are you sure you want him to have a license)

regards

Megsy

Gary,

I did my license through Allstate Boat License and Training at Carbrook just off redland bay road.

It was a 2 day course with 2 instructers and are very highly qualified in their fields.

The first day was all sitting at a desk being instructed on boating, safety and everthing you can think of.

On the second day they take you out in their boat and show you what to do driving and also how to retrieve a person or object if gone overboard.

One bloke in my group had trouble putting his thoughts from brain to hand and onto paper if you know what i mean. He had it all in his head and the instructers gave him a bit of time on the side to help him and he got through without any problems.

Garry McConnell was the head instructer and you can access phone nos and dates through their web site

www.boatlicensing.com.au/courses.htm

Hope this helps you.

Graeme

gif

Thanks guys

MY girlfriend & i both used Australian Boating College down here on the gold coast & they were great!

Gary,

Both my brother and i did the course down the coast a few weeks ago with Australian Boating College. #
    Instructer was great, information and learning techinics up to date and test boat was up to expectations.

These guys run gold goast and Brisbane courses 7 days a week so you have mutipal options.

cheers

If he already knows all the rules and how to handle the boat and you have access to a boat for the test why spend all that money on a weekend course.
    You can just get a tester to take you for the test and give you the paperwork to go to Qld Transport. Should only cost about $50.

marlinqld

Seahunt

i thoguth it was compulsory now in Qld to do the all day Boat safe course?

Mike

here's another that is supposed to be pretty good.
    http://www.baysideboatlicensing.com.au/

As seahunt said, you dont have to do the full day course.

You can get the paperwork sent out to you and do the paperwork at home and go in for a 1.5 hour test and drive.

The only thing is the price is the same for both options, no one does it for less than $150

I am in the process of doing the home paperwork and 1.5 hour test with ABC.

Cheers

Dan

Dan,

Are you doing the licence course that way out of convenience so you don't have to spend the whole day?

$150 either way, wouldn't you rather the instructor earned his pay by teaching you the rules and regs.
    Is the 1.5 hours test and drive conducted with the other students who are doing the full day course or is it a solo test?
    If it's done with a class there will be 4-5 others in the boat.
    One way sounds like it may be $150 for a test and 10 minutes of driving.
    It's good they have options for a licence though.

just curious

Steve.

Doing the paperwork part at home then going for a test is a bit like the old course by correspondance. Just copy it out of the book and who cares.
    For me i would rather going for the course with the instructor all the way as i learnt a lot that i didn't know and we all learn something every day.
    Just my opinion.
    Graeme

Hi Boys,

I have been driving boats for a few years and i am definately no expert, but i have driven boats around the 20 foot both fishing an skiing with a licensed driver of course. For the past 2 years i would have driven a boat of some discription every weekend as i am very keen fisho and skier.

I spoke to them and explained my situation and they said basically you should be fine to do the home test and come in for the water test.

And i think most of the day is spent inside doing the written stuff and 1-2 hours on the boat which everyone does in a class setting, regardless all are together in the boat when teaching and testing begins.

Cheers

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike
    Seahunt

Mike
    Its coming , but I don't think that it is in yet.
    Cost me $50 and not that long ago that it would be any more than about $75 now, had my own boat of course.
    I went from Scarborough boat harbour with some guy from up there that I found in the yellow pages.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHunt
    [quote author=Marlin_Mike link=1160466548/0#7 date=1160539925]Seahunt

Mike
    Its coming , but I don't think that it is in yet.
    Cost me $50 and not that long ago that it would be any more than about $75 now, had my own boat of course.
    I went from Scarborough boat harbour with some guy from up there that I found in the yellow pages.[/quote]

Since 1 July 2005 people wishing to obtain a Recreational Boat Driver Licence in Qld must do the course through a BTO (BoatSafe Training Organisation), these are training providers approved by MSQ to deliver the BoatSafe training course.
    On-water practicals are conducted in an approved, minimum 2E surveyed vessel. A list of approved trainers is available from the MSQ website.
    Private vessels are no longer accepted.
    The going rate for a course is $150.

If anyone needs any details let me know as this is what I do for coin now. Today we put 25 school kids through a marine orienation course.

regards
    Steve.