Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plate Vs Pressed

Plate Vs Pressed

Given a plate and pressed aluminium boat of the same length and same mass, will they ride the same? The reason I ask is that I thought that my next upgrade might be to a plate tinny of about 4.35m (say trailcraft or tabs etc.) but I note that their mass is very similar to pressed boats of the same length. So I can't see that the plate boat could ride better, the plate boat should have a poorer ride as the hull shapes can not be as complex as the pressed boat. your thoughts? Cheers winston.

Re: Plate Vs Pressed

I think you'll find the plate boat would be slightly better in handling on the smaller models , but as you get bigger the gap would increase .

I do believe the plate boats would be stronger .

Maybe you could get Col from Fisher Boats to help you , he would be the man to speak to , as i and alot of others would only be guessing .

Sam..

what would be the reason why the handling would be better on plate.

a_big_red_1

hi winston
    i have had a pressed tinny and now have a plate tinny
    and all i can say is its chalk and cheese,
    i would never go back to a pressed tinny again, but thats just me

cheers

Daz

plate tinnys generally have a sharper dead rise at the stern, that should give a softer ride.

would you get plate and pressed boats of the same length, the same mass?
    I would have thought the platey of same length would be a greater mass, the plate itself is thicker and therefore heavier.
    If it's a hypothetical scenario, then there's probably negligble difference in ride. money would be another story

regards
    Steve.

plate boats are usually 4mm bottoms and 3mm sides, while press are 3mm bottoms and 2-3ml sides. Personally i think it's the way it's welded. Seahorse how heavy is your boat. Mines a plate 4.8 at 495kg. thats dry weight.

only reason i went for a plate is my dads earlier allycraft had structure cracks in the ribs from the bay, or maybe it's just allycraft.????.

Yes Winston it is all about mass, imagine two boats one plate (with welded strakes/chines and one pressed (assume somehow much heavier aluminum per sq foot) with pressed strakes/chines both of identical physical design/dimension both will for all intents and purposes handle/ride identical, it's all about mass and nothing more.

If the above is understood, it is fairly strait forward to look at any hull (plate/pressed/glass) and know almost exactly where it falls inhandling/and ride.
    cheers fnq

timdoo

dry weight of 4.89 stacer is 466 kgs. it only has 2 pressed sections not half dozen like other pressed ones. its stacers new hull. 3mm x 2.5.
    not much difference

were generally i dont think that a plate and pressed of the same size would way the same. and you would just have to search around for a good shapped hull for a plate. the plate would ride better if the hull was a better design and also the weight helps i would reckon

A good plate hull will kill any pressed offering of a similar size. My 4.8M Fisher rides and handles beautifully and compared to my prior boat which was a 5.2M Savage pressed boat the Fisher kills it.

Firstly a good plate boat usually has a better entry as well as plaining strakes and reverse chines while the other is a straight pressed offering. A plately is heavier too that is why they can give then more deadrise.

There are a lot of boat which call themselves plate these days but have pressed bottoms and also are made from the softer pressed grade alloy. Fisher, Sportfish, RipTide etc.... are true plate boats.

Its my understanding that plate boats are made out of 5083 grade alloy and that Quintrex

and the like use a softer grade alloy, and that it's not as strong as the 5083. My question

is since i've heard this many times over the last couple of years is how much stronger is

the plate to the pressed stuff, in a percentage figure.

Its my understanding that plate boats are made out of 5083 grade alloy and that Quintrex

and the like use a softer grade alloy, and that it's not as strong as the 5083. My question

is since i've heard this many times over the last couple of years is how much stronger is

the plate to the pressed stuff, in a percentage figure.

There's a lot more to plate "strength" than just the grade (which just describes it's chemical composition).
    It has to be taken in context with the temper applied to the metal.
    The full description when you order aluminium would be something like 5083 H321. Saying it's "marine grade" means little except for corosion resistance.

So long story short, unless you have the full figures from both manufacturers, you can't honestly say which is stronger. Pressed boats by necessity would use a temper that allows bending without fracturing. Plate boats may or may not use a harder temper.

cheers,
    Owen
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

i bought a bluefin 4.5 predator 2 year ago after having numerous ohther tinnies in the last ten or more years this boat gets me home every time in comfort it is 3mm plate and does the trick purfectly in crap conditions and my wifeloves it which makes life easier vote 1 plate boats
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

ive got a 5.35 stingray 5mm bottom and 4mm walls like to see a pressed alloy boat keep up with me in the bay chop