Thread: Fuel pump cactus on old Evinrude

Fuel pump cactus on old Evinrude

I have an old 25HP evinrude 2 stroke that came with my boat, I thought it was not good for anything but a spare anchor, but mate has had a look at it and it runs well, apart from it stopping after about 30 seconds.

The fuel pump on it looks like it has gone to the great fishing ground in the sky. (the pump case is cracked, and all the diaphrams are stuffed) It runs fine on a gravity feed, but I reckon it would be a bit hard to carry a 20 litre fuel drum 3 foot above the motor all day!.

I have a few questions hopefully someone can help me with

1. How can you tell what year these oldies are?

2. In case I cant work out the year, how generic are these fuel pumps (IE if I am really lucky they used the same one for 20 years!)

3. How many arms is it likely to cost me for another!

4. Can you use an independant fuel pump? (Got an old electric unit floating about somewhere)

Re: Fuel pump cactus on old Evinrude

Hi feral
    give these guy's a call they should have a spare one floating around the workshop Southside marine wreckers and outboard mechanical service at Bethania tlak to Mark or Shane Ph No 3805-8595

will have a look in my spare parts bin in morning think i may have one floating around if so you can have it

hope this helps

Cheers
    Steve

Feral

OMC MODEL NUMBERS FOR OUTBOARDS 1980 TO PRESENT

http://www.findboatparts.com/tech.htm

russell

any older pm me i have somewhere under the house an old repair manual 1968 to ? have to find it

There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

Thanks fella's, down to shed sus out which one it is!

Well have gone over it with as fine tooth comb. No ID plate.

However there is a little spot a bit cleaner, with a couple of rivet holes, so I suspect the ID plate has gone walkies.

Dang the motor might be hot, (although why someone would steal such an old motor is beyond me).

Will ring the drunk punchers today to ask their advice.

Hi feral
    mate the fuel pump i have here is off an 1980 85hp evinrude to big for yours sorry mate

Cheers
    Steve

feral.

those 25 hp fuel pumps are all the same... very little difference from a mid 80s pump to one of today

Also a 20 , 25 or 30 hp pump will fit as well.. any half decent wrecker will have a bucket load to choose from

cheers

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Thanks Fella's

Got one off an old johnson mate had in back of his shed, motor was only an 8, but pump looks identical, will give it a go. If it does not go, off to the wreckers.

give these guys a call if no luck marine worx 3206 4460

Well pump worked fine, took a half hour or so of cursing and fiddling, and burning old fuel and gunk, but then she ran well, then worked out choke throttle settings etc so she fires first pull, and runs sweet as!

Only problem was then when put her into gear, the prop did not spin!

Was running late so left it at that, got halfway home and remembered that props have shear pins! Now I'll spend the night wondering if it is only the shear pin, or gearbox problems!