Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ebay Scam

Glenn_Woods

Re: Ebay Scam

I ve never had a problem with EBay. Even after 200+ wins . But iv'e never bid on anything expensive either. I understand there are grimy little people in bark huts in some middle east country trying to scam us for our hard earned money, The B?%$*@d's [smiley=hanged.gif].

Woodsy.

I also came close to being ripped.

I got an email advising that my EBAY account details had expired and that I needed to log on securely and update my details.

Once again it looked 100% fair dinkum with all the branding and warnings etc.

So I clicked the link to My Ebay Account and up come the login page, started to put in my password etc then thought hang on a minute there are warnings for this sort of thing.

Had a better look at the web address up the top and it didn't resemble EBAY at all, geeez I couldn't back out quick enough. I then logged into Ebay my normal way to see if they had sent me a message and sure enough, nothing there. Just someone trying to scam my credit card details from me.

I guess you tend to get used to doing transactions on this damn thing and unless you remain as cautious as you were for the first time you bought something, then eventually you let down your defences and are open to this sort of thing.

Magnificent opportunities the internet brings but jeepers you gotta be careful don't you.

- Darren

Geez,

I wonder what the $$$ value is of the people that have been ripped.

It is obviously a very common propblem.

I got right up Ebay about it ... their responses were sympathetic and helpful (ie - legitimate messages will sent to your ebay message folder) ... but they state "at the end of the day it is YOUR problem, not theirs"

They openly admit they have a problem ... they also encourage anyone with these fake scam emails to alert them at Ebay, and also take them to the Police.

They know they have a big problem, but seem powerless to stop it.

Cheers

Pete

a_big_red_1

thanx for the headsup PPL
    i hav'nt had a problem as yet, but then again dont really bid big $$$$
    all this feedback is great to know

cheers
    Daz

Must admit Ive never used Ebay, but thanks for the advice
    mike
    Tangles KFC

Bought some pilchards from ebay once and it showed the pilchards to be as long as a pen 6" inches as described and in the picture then when receiving them after about four week wait (meant to be one week) they were about half that length. The worst thing about it i had purchased thirty kilo's of them thinking i was getting a great deal. I will never purchase of ebay again and i don't think i am allowed as a couple of weeks later i recieved a email from ebay saying i have been banned from ever going through them again . Oh well not really a great loss when you get ripped of like that why would i want to go back...

and if you have had anything thing of this sort happen to you make sure you have had your pc throughly cleaned for trojans and virus's ......

This phishing has been going on for ages..it is not ebay's fault or the fault of the banks or anyone else...just the dishonest perpetrators...if you are silly enough to issue your details on any unsecured site or respond with same to any emails then you deserve to be caught out.
    Also, you should be running some decent anti-virus, trojan etc software.
    I do all my business payments and banking via the net and have also bought and sold a lot on ebay and never had a problem.

The scams are not an ebay scam but some phisher out there prowling ebay trying to rip someone off..not much anyone other than the police can do about it and that depends on what jurisdiction the crims are in.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woods
    #I ve never had a problem with EBay. Even after 200+ wins . But iv'e never bid on anything expensive either. I understand there are grimy little people in bark huts in some middle east country trying to scam us for our hard earned money, The B?%$*@d's [smiley=hanged.gif]. #

Woodsy.
    woodsy..from a few articles I have read on this..the bulk of them are from Russia and other ex eastern bloc countries...give them some freedom and look what happens..LOL