Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you trust your deckie?

Broome_Fisho

Re: Would you trust your deckie?

Pardoo,
    My other half is my deckie, she loves fishing as much as I do, we launch a bit different over here in the West than you guys that have proper boat ramps, she gets in the Boat, and I reverse her into the water , hit the brakes, the boat comes easily, as I'm parking the car, she enters the course on the Tracker, recalbrates the Fuel,zeros trip metre, and pokes around till I get down to her.
    When I find the right spot, she anchors us up, when its time to go she pulls the anchor in { we use a float retrieve}, when we get to the ramp, I go and getthe car and trailer and back it down to the beach, and she drives the boat onto the trailer, so to answer your question, I sure do trust my deckie!!!
    Eddy

Great topic...

My better half is my deckie, although to her the position is 1st mate.

Every time we go out we teach her something new as she is keen to get her license soon.
    I trust her completely at the helm, with the radio and operating the emergency safety gear (flares, epirb etc)

*** Proud moment standing at the stern rigging lines, watching the deckie very comfortable at the helm, maintaining a compass bearing doing 25+knts***

As our boat is in a Marina there is no need to learn the launching and retrieving technique, however it is just as well we are friendly with our neighbours in the Marina.
    There are 2 guys that live aboard in the Marina and I am certain they watch for us to enter the Marina just so they can be standing at our berth to lend a hand, just to get a "thanks guys" from the deckie lol.

Cheers,
    Rich.

I forgot to mention...she does not drive in or out of the berth...I have enough trouble with that myself at times.

Well Broomey and Brissyguy, thanks for the replies. Good to know that there are good deckhands onboard those vessels out there. I have heard of some frustrating moments out there due to lack of experience mostly. We all learn things everyday but not sure that trial and error is a good thing when out on the water however. As a deckie I have also taken over the controls at times when in my brother's boat and I am comfortable in doing so but will happily hand over the controls when docking back at the ramp. His boat, his responsibilty. I would hate to be the one who misjudges something and damages the gel coat when it isn't my boat. Glad you guys have enjoyed this topic.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.