Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Towing on the Highway

Towing on the Highway

Just got back from Rockhampton...went up there yesterday afternoon. Wanna know the most frustrating part of the entire trip...caravans?..nope. Semi's...Nope. Cars towing tinnies..yep. Absolute bloody nuisance they are..either the car and trailer are not compatible or the drivers are incompetent..either way..get moving or get off the bloody highway. I would have been stuck behind 8 to 10 them , at various times, that were travelling between 80 and 90k's...absolute pests on the road they are.

Re: Towing on the Highway

Pinhead,

Cant say that I have struck many of them but the guys that have no consideration for some one that is towing a boat................. Pests they are.

Pet hate cars braking as they go down a hill so you get no run up the hill

Aj

Gday pinhead

Probly the wrong site to be complaning about people towing boats

As the fuel prices rose a few months ago i didn't put the right foot down as far when towing my boat around. I would rather take another 15 minutes to go 300k's then put another 15 litres of fuel in the boat when i got there.

Cheers Anyfish

Me ,I find the Idots who haven't got the brains to stay out from under my outboard, a real worry.
    Do 100 kph or there abouts and still always a fool who has got to go around on double lines and blind corners , have a bit of patience.take it easy,get there in one piece.
    I recently towed my rig back from Tayors beach , sat on 95-100 and still got passed and had the bird thrown at me a few times by impatient #######s.
    My philosophey is If I am towing my boat, I am on my way to go fishing or holidays which is to relax and enoy, if you are in such a hurry, leave earlier and don't try taking risks with my life or property.

Greg
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day , teach a man to fish and feed him for life .

Anyfish...there weren't large boats...only 4 metre tinnies..I followed a red TABS..about 6 metres for a while and he had no trouble cruising on 100.

It isn't a matter of saving fuel..it is a matter of a bit of courtesy and at least moving over to let others pass and perhaps prevent someone trying an overtaking manouvre that they shouldn't but do out of frustration.

Why shouldn't I complain about people towing boats on here..are we all that high and mighty that we cannot cop some criticism.

Pitsta

Mate last xmas goin up glenalda range , comin home from hervey bay I did the right thing towing my boat & got in the left lane . But when the lane was ending No BARSTARD would let me back in . So here we are on the gravel , wife screaming, kids screaming & me with white nuckle fever.
    So from now on if you want to pass me GOOD LUCK !!!!!

Mark

Well that's the thing isn't it. If you pull over to the left and grab the jagged edge of the bitumen you risk a blow out or worse.

100kph is the max speed you can tow a boat or trailer it's not the speed you have to maintain is it.

My 4wd can not tow my boat uphill at 100kph and even if it could I wouldn't. (for some impatiant jerk behind me) Then I would have to jump on the brakes to negotiate the bends on the way down.

I never heard anyone ever say after rolling there car over and surviving,
    I wish I was driving faster.

A marriage licence should be like your fishing licence!
    Expires every year and you get a 3 day pass when you go interstate.

David_P

G'day Pinhead,

If the boats are only small tinnies then I understand your frustration. I tow a six and half metre platey, weighs over 2.5 tonne and have little trouble sticking to the speed limit, except for the hills If I sit on 100kph I burn about 25l/100k, but if I back off to 90kph I drop to 20l/100k. I try to do 90, but generally find myself cruising at 100kph, or 110 where I'm allowed

I drive to the road and traffic conditions and do my best not to hold up the traffic. I know that it can be hard to merge after overtaking lanes, so my indicator goes on well in advance and if that means pulling out before the end of the overtaking lane then I do.

At the end of the day I'm on the road to go somewhere. If someone gives me the finger, then ok. Won't change anything! Guess we all just need to chill out a bit.

This probably didn't help a bit....

Regards,
    Dave.

redspeckle

Well for me its better to Live Late than be Dead on Time
    I know drivers get impatient out there #but its better for people go a little bit slow than what the speed sign saids so the vechile and what their towing uncontrolled and can brake in a emergency
    Than having a roll over in-turn block the highway for couple hours then drivers will #be really piss off #[smiley=argue.gif]
    when I tow my boat i stay around 10kms under speed on highway or what I think is safe at the time of the road conditions
    Mitch

I have never had trouble with tinnies myself, bigger boats yes, and i understand that, having towed a boat over long distance myself, i know it puts alot more pressure one all the cars systems, from cooling to brakes, so i understand when people want to take it easy. We put alot of cash into our toys, so we want to look after them. My advice is to chill out, relax, and pass when appropriate. You are a dander to everyone else when you wind yourself up.

PMSL at Rough,

How True, but I think we all have to admit that a lil common
    courtesy does go a long way and is very hard to find any where let alone on the roads.

If I could stop and punch the crap outa some people that have ran me off the road or put me is a dangerous position whilst towing due to there
    supposed ownership of the rd, I wouldn't be here I would be in the big house.

Aj

For interest, did the guys towing little tinnies have stinky little diesel utes?

- Darren

LOL Darren..I have one of those..mainly being towed by sedans or utes of the commodore or falcon variety.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

- Darren

Good read. All I can say is they certainly drive differently in and around Brisbane. The fishing must be better around here or something because the guys in their 4x4 utes with tinnies in tow seem to be in much more of a hurry. I do a coast run with my work every Wednesday and am startled that I could be doing 120klms per hour which is 10 k over the limit and still be getting passed by boats(Couldn't see any Ausfish stickers, probably going too fast to see them). # They must have just come from a clairvoyant and been told there is a fish with their name on it.
    Better get my speedo checked I think. #

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.