Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: Sharkat 700 Rebuild

Re: Sharkat 700 Rebuild

Hi Chop duster,

Dont have many other photos of the interior as I need to make up some seats and a small table on the port side, so these will come sometime later in the month.
    I do have a couple of pics of Stuarts rigger bases though. The bases actually have several knotches where the angle can be adjusted, the angle they are on at the pontoon is how I travel with them. When they are out in trolling position, the angle is reduced to a flatter position. These are 20 foot poles and are light as and when we tested them, the lures sat about 2 feet from the boat wash which seems pretty well spot on for me (I'm definately no expert on game fishing though). The reason for the additional length is I was compensating for shortages in other areas. When I finally get my tag in a first marlin, at least everyone will be able to see my flags on the way back!!!
    54 riggers.jpg56 riggers.jpg58 riggers.jpg

mate the longer the rigga the better, you don't have to run the clip all the way out to the end if not required.
    I was just having a go at you.
    Hope that first marlin isn't too far away.

Well talking about re-heating old soup.....AGAIN!!
    I know some of you on here dont mind hearing about refurbishing a boat, but just thought I would provide an update on refurbishing a refurbished boat.
    As some of you know, I bought Pete's (Grand Marlins) sharkcat he refurbished and I loved it so much I thought I would fix up the finers things to ensure everything is spot on. What better tiime to start it then at the start of summer as every year it almost always rains and the weather is crap for a couple of months. Once again, the weather during December and January was nothing short of sh#th*use so it was a good decision.
    So with the help of Pete and a few handy fellas I know, I ended up doing the following:
    1. Pulled the motor out, stripped it and re-built it - The main reason for this was that it had a few leaks from the head gasket and other odds and ends werent upto standard. The plan was to just do it all now and do it properly in the hope I would never have to worry about it again. There are a few pictures below but as part of this little project, I overhauled the injectors and fuel pump, installed all new gaskets, got a new turbo and alternator, new water pump plus gave it a good coat of paint (plus polished the tappet covers for some spoof factor) Pictures of the amost finished donk are below and as we speak it is basically ready to go in
    2. New Fuel tanks - When there is diesel in the bilge, there is only one way to fix it. Up with the floor, out with the 4 old tanks and in with 2 new ones. Had the tanks manufactured out of 4mm 5083 aluminium and they are 280 litres each.I had them epoxy coated with some 2-pac over top to keep the salt water away. There was previously 4 tanks in there, a couple of 200 litres and a couple of 100 litres, but having done a few trips in the boat, 600 litres would quite easily get me to fiji so it wasnt necessary. With the reduction of the two tanks, it allowed the fibreglasser (Adam from Yatala - guru!!) to put in 2 underfloor storage areas, probably around 200 litres each side. I have had them flowcoated if I wanted to use them as kill tanks but will probably just use them as storage areas as I will have a couple of 200 litre eskies on the deck. All this has been done and I will get some pictures over the weekend to post them up.
    3. Electronics- Pete originally installed the NSS 12 with the BSM-2 and chirp transducer which is an awesome bit of kit, but I am currently waiting for another NSS 7 (happy birthday to me) to go into the dash to network up. I also bought a genuine Volvo guage panel to swap over the aftermarket ones which will be hooked up next week when the engine goes in. With the removal of 2 fuel guages, there is plenty of space in the dash to fit the NSS 7.
    4. Volvo Leg - The leg and steering have recieved a good tune up including a new hydraulic steering cylinder as the last one was dead. I also bought a new trim and tilt gauge to hook up which will also go in next week. I therefore wont have to guess where the leg is sitting anymore
    5. So whats next - As I said, boat hull is ready for the engine install. The question for the gurus on here is, Is it worthwhile to get the engine dynotuned before going back in? The engine was running pretty good prior to the overhaul despite the turbo being shot and the injectors and fuel pump having some water damage (the holes in the tank didnt help that). So I am just wondering is the $1500 justified to have it thrown on the dynometer while the engine is out. I'd prefer not to spend the extra dollars unless there is a good long term benefit. Thats the only decision I have left to make but at this stage I am probably leaning towards not doing it. Any advice would be great.
    So basically I am on the pointy end of getting it back together - here are a few pics for those that are interested. More to come in the next few days!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Error sequencing.

Big big job guys from start to finish and I have to admire the effort been done on this baby - you will know it like the back of your hand once it is finished.

I hope it serves you well once you have completed the latest improvements to motor and sub-floor.

Still some more to do to interior for final fit-out.

I do wonder how it all stacks up compared to a hassle free import on a glacier bay. I suppose over the years the motor will have some serious longevity to it once done up and maintained and the economy will speak for itself.

Interested to see the figures you will get for this versus say twin 175 4 strokes.

Nice project and G Marlin it is a shame you had to sell "YOUR BOAT" but what will you go for eventually as the ideal YOUR BOAT now?

By the way the chirpy sounder should be truly awesome for deep stuff - if I had a spare $$$$ I would be inserting one on something like a big Raymarine.
    Cheers

Trev