Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bennett Trim Tab Hydraulic Unit

Bennett Trim Tab Hydraulic Unit

Problems:-

Last trip out did near 200km and on return trip tabs went down and stayed down - made for a bad return through the waves at top end of Moreton.

Anyway they were stuck down - removed the pump unit and once pressure released they retracted - hence unit not allowing fluid back in.

Reconnected the rams and pump put them down but did not retract.

Looked at owners manual and it said they fault could be low battery not allowing valves to work.

I recharged the batteries.

Now pump motor wont go at all.

Makes a clicking noise and the motor gets warm but doesn't turn motor any more.

I have stripped the pump and no crap blocking anything.

Motor was ticking over fine the other day now no response even though current is plenty and it is getting to the motor along the controls lines - volt meter shows this all good.

I thought perhaps bad earth and replaced that wire - but if motor is connected to the positive and I then put the negative to the battery it sparks to show a current is getting through but still the motor gets warm but doesn't turn.

I opened up the pump end and turned the motor with screwdriver it turns and there has never been any electrical issue to suggest a problem. Fuses are good and a current seems to be getting through but no go.

I don't mind taking it to someone who would not charge the earth and knows what they are doing but a new unit is about $360 so I am not interested in paying hundreds to find it is cactus too.

Unit is about 2yo and I see warranty is 5 years in US.

I suppose I should check here - but I did buy from US . . . . hmmmm
    Cheers

Trev

Re: Bennett Trim Tab Hydraulic Unit

Hi Trev

People say their warranty is quite good so thats an option.

Lenco also sell replacement electric rams which is also an option that will simplify the whole system.

Good luck with it.

How goes the boy too

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Trev - hop onto the hulltruth and have a look under the bennets section. Send a PM or place a post there and the guy from Bennets (Tabman) WILL reply. I would put a handfull on it that he will send you whatever ever the issues FOC.

Hope it works out well for you and not too many $$ to fix, I bought Bennetts for the first time this time round so I hope not to have any issues too soon either.

Have these on mine without much knowledge on them but being that the switch reverses polarity to the motor for up and down I reckon you got a dodgy switch , easily checked by taking wires off switch and just turning one side on at a time ..and another thing to check would be the 2 solenoids disconnect at pump incase they are stuck open or shut ..again just test each solenoid by putting positive feed into green or red wire at the plug .very simple electrically YouTube has several videos on it ..( I like to know how things work incase I need to fix in emergency )

Reason for the sparking would be switch is open so your effectively shorting positive to negative..money on switch

Tabman will sort it for you mate. He's the man from Bennet. Great operator. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Thanks guys - first thing i will do after looking at a utube last night is check behind the switch to see if all connections are sound - I did have a quick look yesterday at wires when checking fuse but did not try a screw driver on all points to be sure all tabs are solid.

If connections are sound i will remove the switch and then look at utube that shows how to run each part of the motor.

If I then no resolution i will try the hulltruth and see where that takes me.

I am sure the motor is fine as it was ticking over just nicely only a week back.

Spark going to the earth wire when I was touching the negative on the battery was with trim tab button pressed as I was trying to see if there was a current flowing and there seems to be a current flowing - just no motor turning. Keen to see if I have a dud switch or connection on back of switch.

Chimo - little guy is going well. He had a scan 1 month after chemo/radiation treatment ended and was clear in the lungs. He then has an X-ray to lungs again 6 weeks later and that is tomorrow - so he has an anxious mum and dad right now. He is well in his spiritis and enjoying life - we plan to go to his nan and pops for a week from next week. Thanks for asking.
    Cheers

Trev

Just remember switch is all common power like a power block , to test switch get a test light and test all 5 wires only 1 should be live .if any other have power its definitely a switch problem.power should only be on other wires as you press any button in a direction...those YouTube vids are very helpful

so Trev with this problem you have with your tabs are we out for the weekend ??????? & mate all the best tomorrow

All the best tomorrow Trev.

Maybe a piccy of him jumping from the roof healthy as a horse would be a good celebration of success.

I'm betting tabs prob is switch based on little knowledge but my (large) gut feeling. Good luck with everything.

(Using Tapatalk on iPhone so can't easily 'thank' or 'like')

Best of luck with the young fella's xray. There is a lot of us parents out here cheering/praying/hoping for you guys.

I have found tabman on the hull truth site extremely helpful. He was one of the main reasons I went that way.

Steve

I had the same problem,and it was the pump.I replaced the pump.Have just had to replace my Lenco actuator at $375 only 1 year old was full of water.Seems they all have their problems.
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

Young blokes x-rays are all clear for relapse tumours in the lungs - whew!!

MRI in another 6 weeks on lungs and stomach but time to celebrate for now.

Like a wave of relief.

Have a drink tonight for sure!
    Cheers

Trev

Great news Trev!!!!